The Student Room Group

Will having 3 A levels and no other AS levels affect Oxbridge application?

Hi everyone,

I'm a year 12 student studying AS French, History, Maths, Economics. I want to study Philosophy, Politics and Economics at the University of Oxford when I finish sixth form. However, my economics teacher is really bad and the year 13s warned me he's so bad you have to basically teach yourself the course. Its too late for me to change course so my only option is to drop it. Will having only done 3 AS levels affect my chances of getting into Oxford? Because I know the typical thing to do is take 4 AS levels and 3 A levels. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by a-gh
Hi everyone,

I'm a year 12 student studying AS French, History, Maths, Economics. I want to study Philosophy, Politics and Economics at the University of Oxford when I finish sixth form. However, my economics teacher is really bad and the year 13s warned me he's so bad you have to basically teach yourself the course. Its too late for me to change course so my only option is to drop it. Will having only done 3 AS levels affect my chances of getting into Oxford? Because I know the typical thing to do is take 4 AS levels and 3 A levels. Thanks :smile:

"Only" having 3 A-levels (and no extra AS) is fine, and increasingly common for Oxbridge.

BUT dropping Economics may look odd for a PPE applicant. Might be worth checking with a couple of colleges. e.g. @BrasenoseAdm ...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
They basically want you to follow your school's policy. So if you're taking three A-levels when the school wants most to take four, they might question it.
Original post by jneill
"Only" having 3 A-levels (and no extra AS) is fine, and increasingly common for Oxbridge.

BUT dropping Economics may look odd for a PPE applicant. Might be worth checking with a couple of colleges. e.g. @BrasenoseAdm ...

French, History, and Maths are fine and a good combination of subjects.

We cannot, clearly, comment on teaching arrangements at your school. We would caution against dropping Maths (it is very helpful for logic and econometrics) but for the record other combinations (Frehc, Econ,Maths or Hist, Econ, Maths would be equally good.

Brasenose Admissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending