The Student Room Group

Drop out or try and complete?

Hi, im doing a mathematics degree and resitting first year due to problems in the 1st semester of first year, though my laziness is also to blame as I find it extremely hard to motivate myself to 'revise' anymore, I despise studying for Maths and things I don't enjoy anymore, I am a hardworker in all other walks of life, but I am considering dropping out after this year and hopefully joining the Police after doing the special constable programme, or should I just try and finish Uni and then join? Any advice would help, even if I try to finish uni I'm not confident in my ability to anymore
Reply 1
If you're honestly not enjoying uni then I would say just drop out. Its gonna be very difficult to finish 3/4 years of uni without motivation
Why didnt you change degrees to something more relevant? Law and criminology or soemthing like that?
Doesnt sound like completing a degree would be fun.
Imo stop getting into more debt and preserve funding for later or to avoid further debt.
Sometimes people have to work when they're not motivated. Yeah, don't wait for motivation to strike.

Look at other ways you can get involved with police/criminology course etc or do something directly relevant. Do the police need mathematicians? Yeah they do.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Why didnt you change degrees to something more relevant? Law and criminology or soemthing like that?
Doesnt sound like completing a degree would be fun.
Imo stop getting into more debt and preserve funding for later or to avoid further debt.

Didn't want a random different degree I just thought I'd take a fresh new start but slowly realising i dont like it, debt isn't too worrying since it's student debt and won't be paid off whether its 1 year or 3 years worth
Original post by connorpl96
Didn't want a random different degree I just thought I'd take a fresh new start but slowly realising i dont like it, debt isn't too worrying since it's student debt and won't be paid off whether its 1 year or 3 years worth

I think that alongside your research, sometimes it helps to get a professional to do the "looking and researching" for you, as they're used to that kind of stuff. I'm not really sure who though - though I do know for sure 110% there are careers advice people like that.
Reply 6
Original post by Kiritsugu
I think that alongside your research, sometimes it helps to get a professional to do the "looking and researching" for you, as they're used to that kind of stuff. I'm not really sure who though - though I do know for sure 110% there are careers advice people like that.

Yeah thank you for the reply, I won't give up on uni not at least until I have been accepted into the special constable programme and know I have a decent chance of a job

Quick Reply

Latest