The Student Room Group

please please helpp..

hi ..

just recieved my as results b c c d..

very disappointed with these results.. im planning on declining all of these grades and resiting in january, applying on ucas with pending grades...

planning on applying for business management to lse, notts, warwick, kings and aston..

my question is how do they decide on their offers.. is it on the predicted grades or???, and should my predicted grades match there typical offer given?????... how do i make sure i get a offer.. and are these unis realistic??..

thanks in advance
Reply 1
More info needed really:

1. what grades do you need for those unis?

2. do you think yuo can make a significant improvement to those results?

3. What were your predicted grades for AS?
The problem with resitting that many exams in January is that you'll be distracted in a big way from the real reason for the second year of A level - sitting the A2 exams. In addition, to get from BCCD to AABb, which is what Warwick, for instance, will require, is a big stretch.

If your school has certificated your grades you'll have to declare them on your UCAS form and those universities will probably be deeply unimpressed. If you put "pending", on the other hand, they'll draw their own conclusions.

I suggest you apply to some lower tier universities, at least as insurance. You only have five choices and to receive three or four rejections could be a bit of an own goal.
Reply 3
appreciate all the replies..

to answer your questions..

lse has a typical offer of aab ...
and the typical offers for the rest on the list are on the same lines...

My grades are definitely being turned around.. im pretty sure ill be able to deal with redoing the units in jan and then all the a2 stress as well..
very sure ill be able to get my grades along the line of aaab for as and aaa for a2..

im going to decline so the universites wont know .. leaving them to "come to there own conclusions"... this is what worries me..

how do i make sure these unis give me a offer.. after that im pretty sure ill be able to sort myself out..

thanks again..:smile:
akay

im going to decline so the universites wont know .. leaving them to "come to there own conclusions"... this is what worries me..

This is precisely why getting high marks in AS is so important - results are pored over avidly by the universities and good ones set you up for a relatively comfortable second year in terms of work as well as attracting the right attention from the admissions tutors.

You really should think about why you did so badly and whether your expectations of yourself are reasonable. It is easy to say that you'll turn them around but somewhat less easy to achieve. Have a plan B.
Reply 5
I m also an As student!
I have applied to ucas but it doesnt have my as grades?:s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:
Do i have to fill in my gardes or will it be automatically?
Also, how can u decline (i mean my page doesnt have any of that)

I m totally lost?:s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:::s-smilie: Help me
Reply 6
goodbloke..

no offence but what you said really dosent help.. like adding saltt to a wound.....

i have my reasons on why i dint do well..

now i just need to no how i can get my offers sorted out..
Reply 7
akay
goodbloke..

no offence but what you said really dosent help.. like adding saltt to a wound.....

i have my reasons on why i dint do well..

now i just need to no how i can get my offers sorted out..

Are your reasons acceptable enough for them to be mentioned in a reference as explanation for your lack of AS grades with your application? A good reference can do a lot of make up for poor grades.
Reply 8
Ok, you really need to consider your options carefully. One option might be to resit AS this year, then do A2 the following year, going to uni in September 2009.

Otherwise, you need to seek the help of whoever is writing your reference, as they are your best chance of explaining to the uni why you appear to have no AS level results.

Also, make sure you support your application with a strong personal statement, but be careful not to look like you've spent too long doing extra curricular stuff to the detriment of your exam results! You need to strike a very careful balance. Post your PS in the "ps helper" forum and i'm someone will look at it for you :wink:
Reply 9
yashradia
I m also an As student!
I have applied to ucas but it doesnt have my as grades?:s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:
Do i have to fill in my gardes or will it be automatically?
Also, how can u decline (i mean my page doesnt have any of that)

I m totally lost?:s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:::s-smilie: Help me

You lazy ass! You are meant to fill everything in yourself.

Akay, dont even bother applying to LSE, its hard enough to get into with 4 high As. With those grades, if applying this year I would go for some lower end Unis unless it was really just misfortune in which case a good personal statement and reference might be able to save you.
Reply 10
I'm in the same boat as you mate, although I made a similar topic yesterday I think.

In Business Studies I got A A E for my 3 AS modules, which brought my average down to a C. For that reason I'm declining this AS grade (since it hasn't been certified) so hopefully in January I can either bring up the E grade to a B or if lucky, an A. Similar thing happened in Philosophy, where I got an A for my exam, but a D in my coursework, making an average of a C. Since I'm allowed to redo my cw next term and hopefully bring it up to an A or B, I'll be declining this as well. Then there's my AS art exam, which I didn't sit due to unusual arrangement meaning I'm doing both my AS and A2 art exams next summer, so that grade will also be on pending. And I got very bad results for maths, E. So I'm resitting them as well. So basically all my subject grades will be on pending. And that's what worries me (although I’ll have good predicted grades), since the reason they're on pending is because I only did bad in a few modules, which brought down the average considerably. So they might fall under the false impression that all my modular results were bad, which is why I put them as pending. Do you think this is the case? Reason for these bad results are due to some medical conditions I had during that period, which my tutor will address in his reference. But will unies still be uncertain about it, and are my chances of getting rejected much higher? Sorry, this has been bugging me ever since results day.
Reply 11
sorry, anyone? n_n
Reply 12
so i gather it all comes down to my reference......

thanks for all the replies so far....

Latest

Trending

Trending