Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Complications by atul gwande is amazing :biggrin:
Reply 2

could you give me a brief overview?

You go to BSMS?

I'm planning to apply there :smile:
Reply 3
It is about a surgeon in America and goes through anecdotes about experiences that he had when he had first qualified and talks about some ethical things etc. Is really very good and very funny.
Reply 4
1) Bedside Stories
2) House of God
Reply 5
I've just started reading some Ken McClure books. In reality he was a research scientist and his books are all medical related. So far I've read Past Lives, Wildcard and The Gulf Conspiracy and I thought they were all great. If you want some medical thrillers then he's certainly an author to look into.
Reply 6
for a nice, light read which gives an honest insight into being a doctor i'd reocmmend Bedside Stories: Confessions of a Junior Doctor by Mark Foxton - was also quite funny!
Reply 7
House of God.

Prepare to be amazed.
After all the recommendations for House of God, it wasn't as good as I expected. Bodies by Jed Mercurio is a lot better, IMO.
Reply 9
However, if you want a more philosophical approach there is always Hippocratic Oaths by Raymond Tallis.

Atul Gawande also has a new book out called 'Better'.
Reply 10
As a slight distraction from the standard medical fare such as the above I have been getting my teeth into NHS Plc by Allyson Pollock. It's a fascinating read on the economics and politics involved in the degradation of the NHS especially in the last Tory and current Labour govts. Certainly not a light 'summer' read, but incredibly informative and possibly quite a useful book for any potential applicants as it gives an in-depth look at the state of the NHS today
Reply 11
j00ni
As a slight distraction from the standard medical fare such as the above I have been getting my teeth into NHS Plc by Allyson Pollock. It's a fascinating read on the economics and politics involved in the degradation of the NHS especially in the last Tory and current Labour govts. Certainly not a light 'summer' read, but incredibly informative and possibly quite a useful book for any potential applicants as it gives an in-depth look at the state of the NHS today

Looks interesting, might check it out. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 12
Online, read through the archives of NHS Blog Doctor, Dr Rant and the dozens of other politico-medical blogs out there.
Reply 13
I'm thinking of buying The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. Can someone who has read it tell me if it's good and worth the money.
If your not inthe mood for reading, try "something the lord made" brilliant film based on a true story of a black carpenter who works as an assistant to a doctor in the states, and who eventually is praised for his work. Really good
Reply 15
Liar
I'm thinking of buying The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. Can someone who has read it tell me if it's good and worth the money.

Well I did buy that book (30 Year Anniversary Edition) but never really got into properly, my brother on the other hand read a lot more of it. He seemed to thoroughly enjoy.
Reply 16
I have a signed copy of the God Delusion, and went to one of his lectures, but neither has motivated me to actually go beyond the preface to his book. But that may just be because he has nothing interesting to say on God, but a lot to say on the evolution of genes. His ideas in The Selfish Gene are mentioned everywhere, so it might be a useful reference volume.
Reply 17
If you wanted a (pop) science book, 'Phantoms in the Brain' by V.S. Ramachandran is my absolute favourite neuroscience book at the moment - it's a very compelling read.

Liar, I wouldn't buy 'The Selfish Gene' - it isn't a book I'd want to re-read over and over - but it's well worth getting out of the library. It is good, even if it does labour the point a bit. Most of Dawkin's books are very well written.
Reply 18
'The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat' Iv heard is quite a good read; it is a more academically oreintated book though.

but 'Bedside Stories' is ingenious.
Reply 19
sunspoon
'The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat' Iv heard is quite a good read; it is a more academically oreintated book though.

but 'Bedside Stories' is ingenious.

Yea, but those 2 are the most obvious, every wannabe medic I know has read Mistook His Wife For a Hat. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending