The Student Room Group
Some people say it's harder to get a VS than a TC, but I'm not so sure. Yeah there are some people who do three VSs, but most firms have considerably more space on their VSs than for TCs. It's not easy, but it's not that hard either. You do seem to meet two types of people though: those who get no luck at all, and those who rack up a stupid number of offers, it just seems to be the way it is.

The requirements are applicable since VSs are, generally, treated by firms as a two week interview with a chance for you to get to know the firm a little better and therefore make a more informed choice. Of course, they're a bit fake, and firms do attempt to bribe you with nice social events and such like, so you can never make a 100% informed decision.

Applications typically open between October and December. Go round the websites of the firms you're interested in and take a look and stagger your applications. You want to do them as early as possible - this looks keen, and seems to get people to more interviews. You should also look to spend considerable time on each application and avoid (if possible) simply copying and pasting the info and changing the firm's name (although I do the latter, and it has done me no harm).

Good luck to you, and everyone else applying for VSs next summer.
Reply 2
I don't think they're too difficult to get as long as you have good first year marks (if you're applying in your second year anyway). Having said that, I got a first on Contract and a prize for it and I didn't get a vac scheme...
Reply 3
Lewisy-boy
Some people say it's harder to get a VS than a TC, but I'm not so sure. Yeah there are some people who do three VSs, but most firms have considerably more space on their VSs than for TCs. It's not easy, but it's not that hard either. You do seem to meet two types of people though: those who get no luck at all, and those who rack up a stupid number of offers, it just seems to be the way it is.

The requirements are applicable since VSs are, generally, treated by firms as a two week interview with a chance for you to get to know the firm a little better and therefore make a more informed choice. Of course, they're a bit fake, and firms do attempt to bribe you with nice social events and such like, so you can never make a 100% informed decision.

Applications typically open between October and December. Go round the websites of the firms you're interested in and take a look and stagger your applications. You want to do them as early as possible - this looks keen, and seems to get people to more interviews. You should also look to spend considerable time on each application and avoid (if possible) simply copying and pasting the info and changing the firm's name (although I do the latter, and it has done me no harm).

Good luck to you, and everyone else applying for VSs next summer.

I think there is a slight downward trickle, if only because the very top firms do take on less people for vac schemes than they have training contracts, or would need a staggeringly high recruitment rate to not recruit other students. This is especially so given that all but two of the people on my vac scheme had at least one other vac scheme with a top 10 firm; most with a top 5 firm. What I would say is that the firms do not accurately report how many people apply for their vac schemes; the two firms I attended both had considerably less applicants than material such as the Lex 100 claim.

I wouldnt say vac schemes are really treated by firms as a 2-week interview; they are considerably less stressful than a banking internship, and are really an opportunity for you to make an informed decision. The offer rates of most law firms suggest that the ball is firmly in your court.

Good luck to you all applying for vac schemes next summer, but I really would recommend only doing two - it made my interviewers / supervisors smile when I described my six weeks of travel.
Reply 4
Doing only two vac schemes won't let me "travel" instead... Do people think competition is less or more fierce on "non-law" Christmas schems?
Reply 5
TKR
Doing only two vac schemes won't let me "travel" instead... Do people think competition is less or more fierce on "non-law" Christmas schemes?

It is just a different kettle of fish. The most organised non-law students will probably have applied for summer placements, so I think that could make it better in some respects. Plus a lot of firms, such as FBD and Clifford Chance offer shorter placements (workshops over 1 or 2 days) which are a well-recognized alternative. The standard of non-law applicants, based on one of my vac schemes (the other one was all law students), was notably high. I have found that more of the non-law vaccies / trainees have firsts - has anyone else found this? Just know your firms well, get the forms in early and all should be fine.

The best advice I was ever given was to think of three firms you really want to apply to; imagine you had every offer, and these were final three to choose between. If you cannot bring it down to 3, do so and you'll crystallize in your thoughts why it is you're applying to those firms. This helped make all my applications successful, and I really do think it is all down to this research process.

I'd just emphasise the extent to which this is thorough; for example; I spent a long amount of time research each website, comparing - which firm does pro bono XYZ, which firm still offers trainee secondments to Liberty etc, and considered why it mattered to me.

With the Christmas vac schemes, you might need to make more applications as there will presumably be a shorter application window (there might not be though?).

Good luck
Reply 6
Thanks for the advice, Christmas Scheme apps tend to open October (except for one opening mid-September), and close mid-November at the latest, so it is a shorter window.
They may seem more relaxed but be under no illusions - the firms treat them as an interview. Having said that, too many students I met on vac schemes were way too up tight about it and not willing to let their hair down or be themselves AT ALL when in the presence of anyone from the firm, got a bit annoying. Don't be that person, firms will find you boring - from what I've seen they're all funny and like people to act naturally, not like interview robots.
Lewis is right - people who are just themselves generally make a better impression. How else will the firm know if you'd fit in with their people culture?
Reply 9
So do firms generally give you a TC interview at the end of VCs? I hears some did but didn't know if this was usual or the done thing. What about the short non-law VCs? - Do they have TC interviews attached?
Most VS do include a TC interview simply because if they take you on the VS they think you're a viable TC candidate - they don't waste VS places on people they think have no chance. If they are there for two weeks and subsequently conclude that they're a no hoper then so be it. Most firms treat VS as an interview and, hence, the exit interview you have may not actually be as important as your overall performance across the two weeks. AS for the shorter ones, I don't know.
Both my vac schemes have meant I have a guaranteed interview for a TC.
Reply 12
Can you do VCs at the end of your first year at university or do most wait until the end of year two?
I don't think many firms will let you apply for a formal vac scheme at the end of first year. That's not just in law, but it's common to all internships that you nearly always have to be at least a second year so that they at least can look at your first year results. That, and in law, most firms wont make you an offer until september of your final year anyway, so they dont want to look at you when you've got a year of developing to do.
Reply 14
v11
Can you do VCs at the end of your first year at university or do most wait until the end of year two?

If I recall correctly, Simmons and Simmons do let first years on to their vac schemes - I may be wrong, but I do know first years (from Oxford) having secured vac schemes through the normal application route.

It is far better to use that summer travelling though.

Latest

Trending

Trending