The Student Room Group

Getting funding for three year degree course after completing a HND

Hello,

I have a question about claiming student finance which I can’t seem to find a clear answer to, possibly because of the obscurity of my circumstances.

I possess a full HND qualification. The two years of study for this were funded by a pair of loans from the Student Loan Company.

I’m now considering starting a three year long degree course. Will I be able to obtain loans from the SLC to cover all three years of this, or is that impossible given the past loans I have been granted?

Thanks,

T.S
Original post by Thomas Stearns
Hello,

I have a question about claiming student finance which I can’t seem to find a clear answer to, possibly because of the obscurity of my circumstances.

I possess a full HND qualification. The two years of study for this were funded by a pair of loans from the Student Loan Company.

I’m now considering starting a three year long degree course. Will I be able to obtain loans from the SLC to cover all three years of this, or is that impossible given the past loans I have been granted?

Thanks,

T.S

Yes that's impossible, all you could get funded is a top year
Do you have any documentation from the government or somewhere to back that statement up. It's not that I don't believe you, it's just I've heard a lot of contradictory information regarding this and am looking for any kind of official confirmation about regarding the issue.

Also, can I really only get a single year of funding now? Some of the universities I've visited have said I would have to join their degree courses on the second year. Would the situation I'm in make it impossible to fund that via the SLC?
Hi there.

We look at the ordinary duration of your course that you're applying for so in this case your is 3 (OD)

We then add on an additional year which every student gets to make up for any repeats, etc (+1)

We then must deduct any previous study so in your case based on what you've said you would have 2 years (PS).

This will then give us your Standard Entitlement (SE)

the calculation we then carry out is as follows:

(OD +1) - PS = SE
(3 + 1) - 2 = 2 years left.

This means that if you enter the new course from year 1 we will not be able to offer you full funding. If you enter into any year above year 2 then we will be able to fund you for the remaining years.

Thanks
Thanks for the response.

I'm slightly confused about the last part of your reply, though. Given the calculation you use won't it be impossible for me to claim a final year of funding. The single year for the top up plus an additional year minus the two years of previous study, would mean I would be ineligible for any funding wouldn't it? Am I misunderstanding something?
Hi there,

So what my colleague is stating, if you go onto the new 3 year course we need to take into account the 2 years you took for the HND meaning the previous study calculation would be as follows: 3 (new course) +1(gift year) = total years of funding -(minus) the previous study = Total years student can get funding. In your case it would work out as: 3+1=4-2=2 years. Meaning in your first year of the 3 year course you would have to pay tuition fees yourself but we would still offer a maintenance loan for year 1. Then for years 2&3 we will fully fund your course.

If the university are happy for you to go straight into year 3 to do the final year then you would be ok for funding for the final year.

Hope this helps,

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending