The Student Room Group

can anyone help with this trig question... urgent

the question is "the area of this triangle is 54.1cm(squared) calculate the size of area A"

given just two sides, not three, the sides are 14cm and 8 cm, and there have been no angles given
You'll have to explain what area A is first. It sounds like this question comes with an image.
Original post by emma2799
the question is "the area of this triangle is 54.1cm(squared) calculate the size of area A"

given just two sides, not three, the sides are 14cm and 8 cm, and there have been no angles given

Original post by lizardlizard
You'll have to explain what area A is first. It sounds like this question comes with an image.

^^ this

what is area a???
Reply 3
Original post by will'o'wisp
^^ this

what is area a???

i will attach an image o the question
Is the triangle right-angled? If so normal trig (SOCAHTOA) should be ok (but an image would be helpful for figure out if this is the case!)
If it's not right-angled, the general formula for area of a triangle is (1/2)ab*sin(c) but for that you'd need a angle...
i will attach an image o the question

o i see
It's an angle

It's the "included angle" (as if i still rmember that lol even tho it was mentioned once and here i am not remembering other stuff always one to remember useless stuff eh?)
simple my friend use the formula for the area of any triangle

0.5absinc yea?
angle A

1/2bcSinA gives you the area
Reply 7
Original post by will'o'wisp
o i see
It's an angle

It's the "included angle" (as if i still rmember that lol even tho it was mentioned once and here i am not remembering other stuff always one to remember useless stuff eh?)
simple my friend use the formula for the area of any triangle

0.5absinc yea?

but what do i put as my sinc when i have been given no angle
but what do i put as my sinc when i have been given no angle

12×a×b×SinC=Area of triangle\dfrac{1}{2} \times a \times b \times SinC=Area\ of\ triangle

Now sub all your values into that formula and tell me what you get.

I mean it doesn't matter what letter C is (it's just a general formula)

Let's say it's Sin A ok?
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm assuming you meant the angle A not area A.

54.1 divided by 1/2, b and c will give you sinA.
Then press sin-1(ans) to get the angle :smile:

Hello there what you are looking at is to use the area rule of area = 1/2absinC so what you do is multiply the area by 2 then divide by the two lengths and the angle left should be opposite to the missing length that you were not given
Hope it helps!

Quick Reply

Latest