The Student Room Group

Does the dropped AS actually matter?!

Hey all,

I got my AS results recently and got BBDE ( the E being in chemistry). Now i am intending to drop chem and had a chat with my head teacher today about the situation.

He claims that there is no point in me retaking modules in a subject that i have dropped, as the universities only care about the 3 A2 level grades. I am taking a gap year, so they wont be using my predicted grades.

Hence, he is saying that i should drop chemistry, but dont try and raise the grade above an E.

Does anyone agree or disagree with his view? I dont see how he could be right, because then surely everyone could just get a U in the subject they drop and it wouldn't matter?

thanks
Reply 1
Drop it, it doesn't matter. But if you want to improve the grade anyway, retake it without doing the course. I retook Geography the next year, having done no work on it whatsoever, and the module I was retaking went from an E to a B. I hadn't even revised it in over 6 months...
Reply 2
Some unis, particularly the better ones, will care. Grab a few prospectuses for unis you might be interested in, and see what they say.
Reply 3
Realised that you said you are taking a gap year, in which case I suppose it might matter, but if you have 3 good grades, it is unlikely to be too detrimental to your application.
Your teacher is right. It is more likely to be the lower-rated ones, that give offers based on UCAS scores rather than grades, where a re-sit might be useful. Very few offers from top universities will include an AS grade, but check just to be sure, since it has been known.

In which case it would not be worth the re-sit since the time when good AS grades are useful is past when the results come round.
Reply 5
Well, they will see this grade, and whilst a university is going to be far more interested in your A2 results i'm sure, the dropped AS may effect their decision. Whether its worth retaking is hard to say really. Some universities do request a certain AS grade, Warwick for example want AABa for a number of courses and I imagine if you're a borderline applicant, it may be something that helps influence their decision.

I wouldn't let it get in the way of achieving good A2 levels however. If retakes would be too much work than leave it.
I agree with Pikey - retake a module or two IF it's not going to be too much work (i.e. it's not going to mean you mess up your A2s). It really depends on where you want to go, and for what. King's London often specify a certain grade to be achieved in the dropped AS. I would say also that if you come out with As and Bs at A2, but have an E in a dropped AS, particularly if it's a subject that's related to your other subject, universities might suspect that quite a bit of retaking went on. It's really up to you, but if you can, try and get the Chemistry up to at least a C.

xx
You could pick up another AS next year while your doing your A2's.
Reply 8
I never even sat my 4th AS subject exam (I hated the subject). The unis only worry about the three A2's that you take so, just leave it and feel good about what you achieved it your other exams.
Reply 9
silken1987
I never even sat my 4th AS subject exam (I hated the subject). The unis only worry about the three A2's that you take so, just leave it and feel good about what you achieved it your other exams.

It depends really, i'm applying for PPE/P&IR and i'm going to include my C in AS Computing as it's a method of showing how well rounded a person maybe outside of the specific 3 A2s usually required
Kings want a B in your fourth subject at AS if you do Law or History.

Hence why I'm a bit angry.
It depends which unis and courses you want to apply for because sometimes you need a C or above in a 4th AS, but sometimes you only need an E and the majority of unis just ask for 3 A2s. As long as you have good A-level grades, an E at AS shouldn't put a uni off too much, unless it's in a related subject.

Latest

Trending

Trending