The Student Room Group

Should I try a remark?

I do History Politics and Economics, and got am A, A*, A* respectively, but only two marks from an A* in history. I've gotten into Birmingham so don't need to but should I try and go for a remark and get the A*? I'm really worried that I'd be dropped to a B if I did
Hey @thinkertinker - first of all, congratulations! Incredible results, you must have worked really hard.

Whilst I can give you advice, I want to stress that this can only be your decision. 2 marks is a small margin and it does seem reasonable that a remark could tip the grade in your favour. However, as you've said, that's just it. A remark guarantees one thing only: someone will take another look and mark the whole thing again. That could mean extra marks, but just as equally it could mean fewer.

Ultimately, it's best to consider what matters to you most, the A* or retaining your current grades? If you want to and you need to scratch that mental itch, go right ahead. Talk to your teacher, see what they think about it. But, if you're satisfied with your grades and are ready to move on to the next chapter of your life, don't stress about it. :smile:
Reply 2
im confused.. even if you do get graded lower it wouldnt nearly be enough to drop you into the grade below.. also you got onto the course you wanted so it doesnt really matter ++ an A is amazing. you should be rly proud of urself
Reply 3
if you've got the grades you need, i wouldnt worry personally! it is ultimately up to you and i get the frustration, but equally your A Level grades are unlikely to matter within a few years if you're doing a degree qualification (obviously I know they do matter for slightly longer in certain career paths, but nonetheless!)

it does generally cost to get remarked, so i wouldn't want to be paying when i'm already happy enough with a grade!
Reply 4
Original post by thinkertinker
I do History Politics and Economics, and got am A, A*, A* respectively, but only two marks from an A* in history. I've gotten into Birmingham so don't need to but should I try and go for a remark and get the A*? I'm really worried that I'd be dropped to a B if I did

I wouldn't do it because of the risk of the A dropping to a B. And you don't need it for any reason.

A*A*A looks such a great set of results.
Reply 5
Original post by Charles III
Hey @thinkertinker - first of all, congratulations! Incredible results, you must have worked really hard.

Whilst I can give you advice, I want to stress that this can only be your decision. 2 marks is a small margin and it does seem reasonable that a remark could tip the grade in your favour. However, as you've said, that's just it. A remark guarantees one thing only: someone will take another look and mark the whole thing again. That could mean extra marks, but just as equally it could mean fewer.

Ultimately, it's best to consider what matters to you most, the A* or retaining your current grades? If you want to and you need to scratch that mental itch, go right ahead. Talk to your teacher, see what they think about it. But, if you're satisfied with your grades and are ready to move on to the next chapter of your life, don't stress about it. :smile:

Thank you so much! I'm still pondering about it as a lot of my teachers don't think I'd be dropped down to a B, but I realise it's not that urgent for me at all.

Quick Reply

Latest