The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It depends which fp1 you're talking about, like the MEI one is a joke.
Reply 61
Hmmm. Hopefully FP1 will go better for me than C4 did if the general consensus is that it is easier. :biggrin:
I'm scared of Further Maths :s-smilie: A lot of my friends who got an A in normal maths came out crying of Further Maths exams.... not encouraging.
Reply 63
Excalibur
I'm scared of Further Maths :s-smilie: A lot of my friends who got an A in normal maths came out crying of Further Maths exams.... not encouraging.

Same, I'm just gunna work my butt off to understand everything. I also heard that if you do really bad you can just add your F.Maths points to your Maths A level to boost the grade!
Reply 64
Can someone just clarify what type of things are on the english board FP1 syllabus because I did it with CCEA (northern ireland) and didnt find that i needed and of C3 or C4 whereas in M2 i needed a lot of it which i didnt have!

still gt 95 though :biggrin:

I went through the whole year thinking i knew nothing about S2 but a few past papers and its all pretty simple really, just do the past papers a few days before and on the day cramming sessions with your class are helpful!:p:
Synergetic
That's not really saying much imo. I've yet to know anyone who did Further Maths and didn't get an A at normal Maths. You have to take confidence from the fact that if you think you're in the first 55% of Further Maths candidates, you should get an A.

What the heck :confused:
Getting an A at Further Maths means someone in most cases got an A in Maths, but not the other way round :s:
Reply 66
Anyone here who says Further Maths is looking pretty easy on the basis of the AS is in for a shock. FP2 and FP3 are by far the hardest A-level modules I've come across, whereas FP1 is about C2 standard with the syllabus from 2004 onwards.
im doing it for AS and A2.

though i am doing pure math at uni :biggrin: woopwoop haha
Reply 68
I'm going to have no social life, im taking maths further maths, physics,chemistry and geography! My tutor advised me to take further maths on top of my other ones. but by the sound of this thread i'll be dropping it very soon.
Reply 69
EmmaK90
I'm going to have no social life, im taking maths further maths, physics,chemistry and geography! My tutor advised me to take further maths on top of my other ones. but by the sound of this thread i'll be dropping it very soon.

Last year I did maths,FM,physics,chemistry,ict,2 modules of economics along with GCSE english.
A levels really aren't that bad.Its just a matter of doing effective work and not wasting time preteding to work
I did M, FM, Chem, Physics and Biology (AS)...it worked out fine...the best thing about further maths is that you can use single maths modules for FM and vice versa...I actually got a B in M4 and a D in M5 but overall it still added up to A's in M, FM and additional FM.
I wouldn't worry, for instance if statistics really isn't your thing you can make up for it in mechanics or pure...
Reply 71
Further Maths is the only subject that requires you to already have an A Level before you can study it (by which I mean, you HAVE to do maths A2 if you want to do F Maths). On that basis it must be the "hardest" A Level.

Personally speaking, it all depends on your areas of strength and weakness. I love mechanics and got 100% in M1-3, but hate pure maths and averaged 78% in FP1-3. If you like maths enough, and are willing to put the work in, it's a great subject.
PurpleO
Further Maths is the only subject that requires you to already have an A Level before you can study it (by which I mean, you HAVE to do maths A2 if you want to do F Maths).

You can do AS Maths and AS F. Maths (without A2 Maths).
Reply 73
PurpleO
Further Maths is the only subject that requires you to already have an A Level before you can study it (by which I mean, you HAVE to do maths A2 if you want to do F Maths). On that basis it must be the "hardest" A Level.

I did AS Maths and AS Fmaths at the same time, and this year I'm going to do A2 Maths and Fmaths at the same time, and I did alright. =0
Reply 74
The good thing about Further Maths is it virtually guarantees you an A grade in regular Maths, because of the way the modules are used and exchanged between the two.
Reply 75
... lawl... im doing further maths... i reckon its gonna be a tosser...
I was in the group that got the top 5 marks in my maths GCSE (as stated by a letter from aqa)... so i think further maths really suits me... but don't take it if you're not sure or confident at your maths ability...
Reply 76
Considering I'm doing 9 maths modules this year I really hope it's not the 'hardest' A-level.

My general opinion of AS-maths was that it was a joke (especially C1). Using that as a basis I'm assuming further maths and A2 maths will be of course much harder but still doable. We shall see though, matrix transformations in FP1 looked challenging.
Reply 77
I got A* in my GCSE, and yet only managed a C in the Further Maths. To be honest though, I think that resulted from a failure to really cover the syllabus properly (which I could get away with in GCSE and regular A-level Maths). Unlike many other subjects, F. Maths can't be learnt the night before, especially the higher further pure maths modules.
Reply 78
Terrafire
Unlike many other subjects, F. Maths can't be learnt the night before, especially the higher further pure maths modules.

True that
Terrafire
To be honest though, I think that resulted from a failure to really cover the syllabus properly (which I could get away with in GCSE and reguler A-level Maths). Unlike many other subjects, F. Maths can't be learnt the night before, especially the higher further pure maths modules.

LOL so true. I only scraped a B because my M1 and FP1 saved me. (M1 I actually learnt for and FP1 was day before but MEI's FP1 is easy)

Latest