The Student Room Group

Decline or Keep?

Hi, I currently received my AS level results already and gained:

Biology - A
Maths - A
Chemistry - B
French - B
Physics - C

and after talking to the teachers I decided to drop physics (obviously due to the poor grade).

Then the remaining subjects I'm keeping to A2 with predicted grades of AAAB.

So the question is what shall I do with the C in physics, shall I decline it so as if I never studied that subject in the first place, or shall I keep it and show it in my UCAS form.

Keeping mind I don't want to do re-sits because I know I will probably do worse and that the physics paper just gone was the easiest paper I came across so far and I still got a C.

So the unis I wanna apply to are Bristol, Nottingham, City, Royal Hollaway and Southampton, all for accounting. So will a grade C put me in a disadvantage if shown?
Reply 1
Keep, it's still a pass at AS Level. A C grade is perfectly acceptable; what's the point in putting in all that work over the last year to just drop it? Universities won't care, not only is it your fifth AS Level, it's also one that you're dropping.
Reply 2
Keep. Why throw away the fruit of a year's study.
oh ok, but then won't the uni think I'm less capable due to that c grade?
Reply 4
I don't see what use physics has in an accounting degree. The maths involved in AS physics is trivial whilst your A in AS maths shows you are capable. I'd guess there's a lot of maths in accounting :smile:

I don't think the unis will care, but maybe somebody can give you a better explanation than that!
Reply 5
novadragon849
oh ok, but then won't the uni think I'm less capable due to that c grade?

Less capable of what? You have 5 AS levels at A, B and C grades in extremely demanding and challenging subjects; that renders you pretty capable of most things. You're predcited AAAB next year, that is what the universities will base their offer on; don't worry about the C. Granted it's not as good as a B but it's still an AS in Physics; put another way, a C in AS Physics is better than a D or an E or nothing at all.

Latest