The Student Room Group

Have I missed somewhere...

I've been looking round different unis for a while now but I have a feeling I've chosen "samey" ones in terms of grade boundaries and reputation. I had 4 As and a B in AS level (6 A* and 5 A in GCSE), but I've been looking at mainly 'top 20' unis which I'm afraid may have limited my choices. I'm applying to do History and French combined.
I'm not looking at central London unis (UCL, king's college etc), Oxbridge or Durham (the whole blacktie dinner thing just doesn't really suit me) but I have considered/chosen:
Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield, Warwick, Royal Holloway, Edinburgh
If anyone has noticed a uni I've missed out that would be worth looking at (there aren't many more open days up this month, and I'm trying to send off my UCAS form by the middle of October), please say.
Reply 1
Manchester, Bristol, York, Reading?

There's a list of all UK universities here: http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/ukinfo/alpha.html
Reply 2
Bristol, Edinburgh, York, Southampton, Exeter are a few that spring to mind. Don't just look at the league tables - when I was applying I tried to basically look on the website of every uni doing my subject that I might even consider going to, which gave me a much more balanced view. Also, it might be a good idea to apply to at least one uni with slightly lower entrance requirements, as it's always nice to have a 'back up'.
Reply 3
you should give central London a chance imo :smile:
Reply 4
Nottingham, York, Southampton, Bristol, Manchester, Bath, Exeter..... seriously league tables are crap!!! You want to look at the websites, and get down to the uni's to look round. Why the rush to apply by october? In my opinion i would wait a little longer, often sixth forms give you days where you can research the unis and all the rest of it. There are also a lot of open days in October.. so hold off until mid October at least. As long as you apply before the deadline you wont actually gain anything from an early application, and may in fact miss out on an ideal uni for you.
Reply 5
Not all Durham colleges are the same, take the time to look. Some are very much the thing you don't want, but some are much more informal.
And don't just discount the London unis like that. They're very good too.
Reply 6
Hull uni is worth a mention - if you are considering universities in the north, it is the top university in Yorkshire and is moving up the league tables. I'm biased as I'm going there and from Hull. The campus is lovely, its a great place to be right now with so many developments and the cost of living here is cheap. It has been voted the friendliest university and has a great student union reputation and graduate employability record.
Reply 7
Manchester, Nottingham, York. Also as your not applying to Oxford there really is no need to send it of as early as October. If you want to go and look at some more universities then do it. I would be looking at the end of November as a sensible date to aim for.
Reply 8
hayley83
Hull uni is worth a mention - if you are considering universities in the north, it is the top university in Yorkshire and is moving up the league tables. I'm biased as I'm going there and from Hull. The campus is lovely, its a great place to be right now with so many developments and the cost of living here is cheap. It has been voted the friendliest university and has a great student union reputation and graduate employability record.

I would have thought that would be York?
~Bex~

:ditto: lol :p:
Reply 10
Heh the league table idea probably wasn't so good... I used it as a basic guideline but kind of got too concerned about it...
I've been to Nottingham, York and Bristol but I preferred Sheffield, Leeds and Birmingham after looking at all of them and don't think I liked them all that much (no offence to anyone at those unis). I don't want to go to Manchester Uni because I already live in Manchester... so not much 'breaking away' there...
Thanks for the advice; Hull, Bath and Exeter seem like popular choices. I'll read up on them :smile:
Reply 11

Yes, sorry, should have quoted a little better "The survey rated the University of Hull as the best within Yorkshire with no fewer than 10 subject areas in the top 5 nationally"

http://www.hull.ac.uk/05/aboutus/news/jan06/national_survey.html
Reply 12
Southampton :smile: :smile: :smile: Go look round its really nice and well respected, part of Russel Group, and a few others :smile: Have a wonder i did and was sold :biggrin: Going in 3 weeks !
hayley83

Yes, sorry, should have quoted a little better "The survey rated the University of Hull as the best within Yorkshire with no fewer than 10 subject areas in the top 5 nationally"

http://www.hull.ac.uk/05/aboutus/news/jan06/national_survey.html

Sorry, I think Leeds is better than Hull too...
But, Hull's the best university in East Yorkshire. (However... I think it may be the only university in East Yorkshire...)
Reply 14
Kidders
Southampton :smile: :smile: :smile: Go look round its really nice and well respected, part of Russel Group, and a few others :smile: Have a wonder i did and was sold :biggrin: Going in 3 weeks !

:dito: Southampton is fab - I went round and looked and fell in love straight away, I've been involved with the Uni for 6 years now and it's such a fab place! The open day on saturday was brill as the campus always looks really gorgeous when it is sunny! I can't recommend it enough!

Kidders - can't believe you lot descend in three weeks! :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending