The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford Graduate Application 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chipper
I'm pretty convinced that an efficient compsci department doesn't actually exist... which seems ironic.

I bet the CS department scales O(n^2), where n is the number of applicants.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by neuro11
Thanks...cant' go without a scholarship though.....:smile: which course you will be doing, btw

For Brasenose, an MSc in Modern Chinese Studies, and at Pembroke an MPhil in the same subject :smile:. Funding will decide where I go. How about you?
Reply 1382
Original post by chipper
I'm pretty convinced that an efficient compsci department doesn't actually exist... which seems ironic.

Haha probably not... bunch of incompetents eh.
Reply 1383
Straightforward rejection for MSc Computer Science (no interview/pooling). I saw it coming a mile off though, to be fair.

I wish these unis could just send out a candid and direct rejection notice. They always mince their words so much... Give me the single bullet to the head rather than being shot in the chest repeatedly and slowly bleed to death!
Reply 1384
Original post by bookfaces
For Brasenose, an MSc in Modern Chinese Studies, and at Pembroke an MPhil in the same subject :smile:. Funding will decide where I go. How about you?

its Dphil in Biomedical Engineering for me...
Reply 1385
Original post by Noldorin
Straightforward rejection for MSc Computer Science (no interview/pooling). I saw it coming a mile off though, to be fair.

I wish these unis could just send out a candid and direct rejection notice. They always mince their words so much... Give me the single bullet to the head rather than being shot in the chest repeatedly and slowly bleed to death!

i don know what to say but i fully understand your feelings....hope you get over with it soon....good luck with your other application

:frown: Oh no! I'm really sorry you got bad news.. They probably saw something in your application to have you hold out while they were giving out offers, though.
If it's any consolation I think that's the way I'm headed too.
You've still got your other applications though, and will probably go somewhere awesome, so don't let it knock your confidence :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Oh man, did they make a poor decision.
Reply 1388

Sorry : (

I would've actually liked my reply to have been a bit longer. I want to know why they rejected me. For the second time. I am obviously doing something wrong when it comes to Oxford and although I don't mind the rejection per sé, I am seriously curious.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1389
Original post by neuro11
i don know what to say but i fully understand your feelings....hope you get over with it soon....good luck with your other application

Thanks mate. Yeah, I probably won't fret too much! It's mainly that it came at the same time as other rejections.

Did you have any more luck hopefully?
Reply 1390
Original post by TheRandomer
:frown: Oh no! I'm really sorry you got bad news.. They probably saw something in your application to have you hold out while they were giving out offers, though.
If it's any consolation I think that's the way I'm headed too.
You've still got your other applications though, and will probably go somewhere awesome, so don't let it knock your confidence :smile:

Yeah... cheers anyway. I think that's optimistic to presume that there was something good about my app, but I sort of doubt it. My grades probably just weren't good enough.

What stage is yours at currently? You got the interview at least? :-)
Reply 1391
Original post by Zenobia
Sorry : (

I would'be actually liked my reply to have been a bit longer. I want to know why they rejected me. For the second time. I am obviously doing something wrong when it comes to Oxford and although I don't mind the rejection per sé, I am seriously curious.

I totally understand. The rejection itself doesn't bother me (I've had worse, including a plain weird one from MIT). Just want to find out the main reasons really! I think it's only fair after paying that hefty application fee. Glad I did not waive the right to view recommendation letters now too.

Cheers, anyway.
Reply 1392
I totally understand. The rejection itself doesn't bother me (I've had worse, including a plain weird one from MIT). Just want to find out the main reasons really! I think it's only fair after paying that hefty application fee. Glad I did not waive the right to view recommendation letters now too.

Cheers, anyway.

You can do that ?
Reply 1393
Original post by kikkoman
You can do that ?

Waive the right? Sure. Some referees prefer this... fortunately not mine. At least they didn't say so.
Reply 1394
Waive the right? Sure. Some referees prefer this... fortunately not mine. At least they didn't say so.

I wasn't even aware you could view them
Yeah... cheers anyway. I think that's optimistic to presume that there was something good about my app, but I sort of doubt it. My grades probably just weren't good enough.

What stage is yours at currently? You got the interview at least? :-)

Well they're being incredibly cheeky and STILL haven't emailed me. The application deadline was like 6 weeks ago. *sigh*
Where else have you applied to?
Reply 1396
Original post by TheRandomer
Well they're being incredibly cheeky and STILL haven't emailed me. The application deadline was like 6 weeks ago. *sigh*
Where else have you applied to?

Very cheeky! You had the same deadline as me eh? Normally I'd try to encourage you by saying they're still considering your application, but after my recent experiences I'm inclined to think they leave rejectees to last... You might want to get a bit firmer with admissions. In any case, fingers crossed for you!

I sort of wanted to move away, given I did my undergrad in London and had enough of it. Hence all my others are US unis. (Stanford, Columbia, Cornell, MIT, Harvard, Carnegie Mellon... not exactly ones likely to accept me!) So I'm mainly prepared to get zero offers.
Very cheeky! You had the same deadline as me eh? Normally I'd try to encourage you by saying they're still considering your application, but after my recent experiences I'm inclined to think they leave rejectees to last... You might want to get a bit firmer with admissions. In any case, fingers crossed for you!

I sort of wanted to move away, given I did my undergrad in London and had enough of it. Hence all my others are US unis. (Stanford, Columbia, Cornell, MIT, Harvard, Carnegie Mellon... not exactly ones likely to accept me!) So I'm mainly prepared to get zero offers.

So sorry to hear about these bad news... I really hope you'll get an offer that will make you happy in the end.
Did you look for your program on the grad café results page? US unis are annoying in that they very often wait until very late to reject people, so the website is a good tool to see at what stage of the admission process various programs are. It can be quite heartbreaking though when you realize that they've already invited their 5 or 10 favourite candidates for interview week-ends...
Reply 1398
Original post by GabrielleT
So sorry to hear about these bad news... I really hope you'll get an offer that will make you happy in the end.
Did you look for your program on the grad café results page? US unis are annoying in that they very often wait until very late to reject people, so the website is a good tool to see at what stage of the admission process various programs are. It can be quite heartbreaking though when you realize that they've already invited their 5 or 10 favourite candidates for interview week-ends...

Thanks for the kind words.

I truly don't expect an offer of any sort (didn't from the start), but if any of these universities accept me, I'd be pretty chuffed/amazed.

I didn't look at my programme on The Grad Cafe website. In fact, I hadn't even heard of it before, but thanks for drawing it to my attention! I just signed up and posted on the "2012 applicants & results" forum thread. I couldn't find anything specific for computer science.

Also, I wasn't aware any US universities even interviewed?! Unless you mean Oxford here. Anyway, I agree... just the process of waiting is a little painful, knowing my chances of acceptance reduce with every day (one presumes).

I didn't look at my programme on The Grad Cafe website. In fact, I hadn't even heard of it before, but thanks for drawing it to my attention! I just signed up and posted on the "2012 applicants & results" forum thread. I couldn't find anything specific for computer science.

I checked the results page. Someone was (apparently) admitted to M&FoCS during the interview. :lolwut:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending