The Student Room Group

Does Feeling Jealous Make Me A Bad Person?

I didn’t know where to post this, but since it’s related to medicine I thought it should be posted here. Basically my friends are applying for medicine, and they all have grades lower then me e.g. BCC but their predicted grades are obviously AAA, anyway all my friends know how badly I want to be a doctor, but I’m not applying because I don’t think I stand a chance. If one of them gets accepted to study medicine does it make me a bad person to feel jealous and think “oww if I applied I would have also got an offer”? :frown:
I would think that you would feel regret more than anything for at least not giving it a shot.

I have tbh If I was you, I would have to apply for medicine even if you dont use the full 4 choices, as I would always wonder whether I got in.....

I felt similiar to you, but I had a piece of advice given to me, that really helped. And that was you cant stop other people living their lives. It is up to you...you either apply or you dont. Whats the worst that could happen, that you will be rejected and will have to apply for UCAS extra or even clearing if all else fails.

It doesnt really answer you're question of jealousy, but concentrate on your life, and your career not what other people are doing. If you do, you are twice as likely to succeed.

Hope this helps :wink:
If you don't try you will never get the opportunity to see whether you can be a doctor or not.
What have you got to be scared of? Applying is easy, you just have to fill in a form. Do you have the courage of your convictions to try to get what you want or not?
Well it depends - if he can get the prediction then yes.
Telling him to apply when he doesn't meet the requirements is nothing to do with convictions - it's stupid.
Reply 4
Dont worry, it doesn't make you a bad person- it's called being human!! :smile:
But I'd say apply. You must have the potential, and if you've always wanted to become a doctor, I envy you, because I'm not totally 100% about applying even tho that's what I'm doing! So if I'm applying, yet am still unsure... that should tell you APPLY! Even if your head of year won't support you, you know yourself better than anyone else. If it's what you wanna do, do it. And why do you think you don't stand a chance? You'll never know unless you try, and if one of your friends does get in, you'll be regretting it, cuz it'll be even more painful having someone close to you doing what you so badly wanted to do. My advice: Apply for Medicine. If you're sure about taking it, you won't have any trouble in showing it at interview. Ofcourse there's a lot of competition, but what's to say you can't be one of the successful ones? Believe in yourself and think positive- you can do it!
Reply 5
You will absolutely kick yourself if you don't even try. SOMEONE's got to get the places haven't they.
I understand the whole jealousy thing completely, it'd be natural to feel envious of friends who've done it if you haven't - but just 'cos you didn't the first time, doesn't mean you won't the next time you try. It did make it a lot easier for me as nobody else in my year wanted to be a vet.
Reply 6
Being jealous doesn't make you a bad person as such, but its not good to feel jealous of other people because it can turn into envy and might also result in bad feeling/tension between you and the person you are jealous of. Also, some people get so jealous that they end up hurting the other person (not necessarilt physiclly). But just as importantly, its bad for ur own mental health and self-esteem.
Believe in yourself.
If I were you I'd go for it.
You should apply for it.
Why not?
The sky's the limit.
Good luck!
xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending