The Student Room Group

is accounting and finance degrees thought of as easy!!!!!

im having to do alot of extensive research into degrees as i have to apply for universities in the next month. I am pritty sure i want to do an accounting and finance course but i am worried that it may be thought of as a weak degree.

What is your opinion?

also do you think that sandwich courses are better than full time degrees in terms of employment value

thankyou
Reply 1
Sandwich are better I guess - especially if you can start ACA/ACCA training in that year.

I would say it is weaker than other degrees, but not totally bad - It is still numerical, just not as advanced as others like Eco/Maths. Since you'll have spare time work on your EC's/Jobs etc to match yourself I guess :smile:.

It will help you in interviews I guess because your finance/company knowledge would be sound.
Reply 2
AccFin IS thought of as easy, though in comparison to degrees like Economics/Maths. Bit i don't think it is easy as pie (yum, pie). You still have to work hard though,
Reply 3
It is thought as easy, there is quite a bit of maths involved like calculus etc...

Also the people at my previous who have chosen to do AccFin over other popular degrees aren't exactly the cleverest bunch either.

I personally would do something more interesting than AccFin, especially if I was going into the Accountancy profession.
Reply 4
croweee
I've not done accountancy and don't know anyone who has done it. In my totally uniformed opinion, I would consider it easier than 'pure' subjects - maths, chemistry, economics, history etc, but probably harder than anything with studies in the name like theatre studies, media studies etc.

I don't understand why people do accountancy degrees. If you do accountancy as a degreee then you are probably going to become an accountant. When you train for your ACA or ACCA then you will get taught accoutancy then. Might as well do something else at uni.

As I said before it's a totally uninfrormed opinion.

I'm doing an Acc degree because I get exemptions and ACA is not to be underestimated.
Reply 5
im thinking of doing maths and french degree in uni but a lot of people are telling me not to as maths is going to be hard and a lot of people decide to change courses and drop out..... im confused and don't really know what im doing anymore and wherther i should go for it or not
i thinking of going into finance and accounts sort of field and thought maths and french would help me
does anyone know if a lot of people do actually drop it

between im not doing further maths
Reply 6
I study Accountancy, and we do actually share quite a few modules with the AccFins and the Economists.
Guess it all depends on what you're doing afterwards.
If you want to study maths and french then I would advise you to do so as you are much more likely to enjoy it and put the effort in to do well. I studied Accounting at Uni and while it provides a good insight into financial services and the different areas out there it is by no means a prerequsite. Languages will prob help you in the business world as well but I would def do a joint degree, dont do just a language. Usually you get to the choose 3 subjects in first year anyway, so if you are worried about dropping maths then pick another subject like economics or business management as well.
That's a good point, languages will only benefit you in a grad job if you are business fluent. If by the end of your degree you aren't then it prob would have been a waste. In that sense if you know you can't become truely fluent dont do it. maths on the other hand will always benefit you, unless you dont pass!

Latest

Trending

Trending