The Student Room Group

the ultimate dilemma lol

lol i have a made too many threads on this, but i promise, this will be my last
so, i am taking bio, chem, religious studies and psychology and i want to keep bio, chem, and rs
but am not really loving psychology
so the option is either history or maths - i got A* for history but A for maths, would i really struggle with the maths?
or does psychology get a lot better after you finish doing memory?
would history be completely pointless to do if i am thinking of doing medicine/dentistry? but if i am not completley sure would history be a good one to keep my options open?
i am planning on only taking the subject i change to up to As

so, anyone got any advice/information that is vaguely relevant? any answers would be really appreciated
sorry to be annoying, i just cant decide :eek:
Reply 1
Not being funny, but we can't tell you if you'd struggle with maths - it would be a good idea to perhaps speak to a maths teacher who knows you and your work capabilities to answer that one.
History would be a perfectly valid subject, contrary to popular belief maths isn't compulsary for medicine.
Reply 2
yeah thats a fair point, i think i shall have to speak to a teacher on monday
Did you struggle with maths at GCSE? Cos if you struggled to get that A, then the A-Level perhaps isn't for you. However, if you got the A without much effort, then it'd be a good choice. To be honest, probably a better choice than history, as it's useful to have 3 sciences for medicine...apparently as it's so competitive, the BMAT is used to seperate the best applicants, for which maths/physics is really useful, but by no means necessary.
Reply 4
The BMAT is a bitch of an exam...maths probably would help you, but I wouldn't pick an A level based on that fact alone. Is Physics an option for you at all? I mean, you don't -need- either for medicine, it's just a nice combo. Although, as I said, History is a well respected subject, it's a bit of a variation etc...do you know if you can do a history of medicine unit in there at all? It's always nice to tie an A Level in with your degree of choice, like I did an AS unit in Medical Physics...
anyhow, def. speak to your maths teacher.
Reply 5
I got 77% in my maths IGCSE and i'm finding the as stuff quite difficult, but i think thats because i've not done any work for over 3months, than me being thick :smile:
Cant comment on History because I was only 1 mark over the boundary for a B and i didnt like it lol
I didn't get an A* at GCSE maths but I still managed to get an A at AS.

I vote maths. No coursework, no time consuming essays, no boring lessons.

Latest