The Student Room Group

English Literature

I want to study English Lit. at University. This weekend I went to Durham and absolutely fell in love with it.
But, since it is number one in Britain for English, it will obviously be very difficult for me to get a place.
My AS results were pretty good:
English Lit: A (full marks in poetry and prose)
History: A
Biology: B
Art: B

I'm predicted A,A,A/B, but now I'm worried that this won't be good enough to get in to Durham.

So I've decided to change tact and I'm now thinking of applying for Combined Arts, which is AAB. Hoping that it won't be as competitive to get a place on this course.

Also, how much do Durham take GCSE's into consideration?
I'm also taking a gap year, working in France, and South America, to extend linguistic skills and gain work experience at a Journalists. Will this improve my chances?

Please could I have some advice?
I'm so worried about the whole thing! Applications have to be in so soon, and I'm starting to panic.

Thanks alot, Rache
Many people (myself included) have been rejected from many good universities to do English Lit with pretty damn excellent grades. Sometimes there seems to be no reason to these decisions and there's nothing you can do. It really is very competetive and there is not enough to differentiate between students.
However, I think you should deffo apply (as long as you can get your school to predict 3As) for Lit. But why don't you also apply for Combined Arts? You can apply for more than one and if anything this will show your dedication to this UNI. If you apply for both then you have a much higher chance of going.
Make sure your school bigs you up in your reference and make sure they mention the full mark units that you got. On your PS talk about all your relevant experience and mention all the reading you have done.
The very best of luck :smile:
xxx
Reply 2
I wouldn't give up hope just yet on the English Lit course! It is very competitive at Durham, but you're clearly good at English, and the A in History complements the course well.

If you really wanted to, you could drop the subject you're predicted an A/B in, to improve your chances; or simply pester your teachers. Can't comment on your gap year - you'll probably have to check Durham's stance on this. I have heard that Durham can be quite selective about their GCSEs, but I'm not sure how selective.

Best of luck with your application!
Reply 3
I agree with space hopper - apply for both courses if you're really set on Durham (I'm doing exactly that actually). I don't think their English dept. is very keen on deferring entry [See here] whereas Combined Arts seem more laidback about it. They're both pretty competitive courses though, unfortunately for us. :s-smilie:

Good luck. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending