The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Probably because of the press and the high profile crimes which occurred in Nottingham in recent years.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
rise in tuition fees; negative portrayal by the media; probably some other things as well.
Rise in tuition fees caused a general drop in the sector and unfair bad press probably on top of that.
Reply 4
The above two posts mention tuition fees but uni such as like Manchester and Leeds have seen a surge in applications.:confused:
T. Hereford
The above two posts mention tuition fees but uni such as like Manchester and Leeds have seen a surge in applications.:confused:

They bucked the trend, that doesn't prove that tuition fee increases weren't partly responsible for the reduction in applications at Nottingham. It seems to me that in the early 2000's Nottingham was flavour of the month and now it is less so and other universities are becoming popular, these fluctuations seem entirely normal to me.

Edit:

I presume that you are including Manchester and UMISTs figures for fair comparison (I doubt it) and the UCAS wesite says that Leeds has had a drop in applications from 2003 to 2006.
Reply 6
in all honesty though, who really cares?
T. Hereford
Considering Nottingham is a world class university, why have the numbers of applications decread from its paek of 48,000 in 2003 to 38,000 in 2007? I'm surprised at this decrease in applications becuase Nottingham is one of the best unis in the country. Does anyone know the reason behing this?:confused:

Because it is in a world class hole.
Nottingham is better known as Shottingham, the murder capital of England.
Son_of_the_sun

Yet there were six shootings in London between January and August of this year and none in Nottingham. The true murder capital is our capital.
Reply 9
I spoke to an admissions tutor there yesterday and he mentioned that they've upped their average offer to stop giving people false hopes when they haven't really got a chance, so that would mean fewer people would apply.
Crime statistics are per 1,000 of the population within the local authority area.

Nottingham
Violence against the person 35.4

London
Violence against the person 29.1

English average
Violence against the person 16.7

Nottingham is the violence capital of England too.
Reply 11
is there any date on these figures?
alex-hs
is there any date on these figures?

Reply 13
ChemistBoy
They bucked the trend, that doesn't prove that tuition fee increases weren't partly responsible for the reduction in applications at Nottingham. It seems to me that in the early 2000's Nottingham was flavour of the month and now it is less so and other universities are becoming popular, these fluctuations seem entirely normal to me.

That seems to be true to me. In the early noughties, Nottingham was the university city that was getting lots of cash pumped into it and began to make a name for itself as a great place for students because of the good housing stock and the range of nightspots available. Where Nottingham sort of led, others have followed and now the focus seems to have moved to other unis.
I think that Leeds or Sheffield have become the new flavours of the month and who knows how long that could last and who could step in next.
Son_of_the_sun
Crime statistics are per 1,000 of the population within the local authority area.

Nottingham
Violence against the person 35.4

London
Violence against the person 29.1

English average
Violence against the person 16.7

Nottingham is the violence capital of England too.

Despite there being 17 areas of the UK with higher violence statistics than Nottingham. Cherry picking data doesn't make your argument true.

There are more shootings in London and there is more violence in places like Blackpool and Hull. Nottingham has problems, but to argue that it is the worst place in the UK for violent and firearms-related crime is simply wrong.
Reply 15
Son_of_the_sun

Rediculous to anyone who knows Notts, lived here all my life.

One clan caused it all and now it's ended. Nottingham is pretty safe unless you walk in the wrong places late at night by yourself, just like any other major city.
My brother's house in Nottingham was burgled twice in the two years he was there. Countless numbers of his freinds in other houses had windows smashed and graffiti on their houses by chavs and two of his friends were mugged at knife-point and this was all in his his three year degree. I would also add that he didn't like the university much and thought the tuition sub-standard.

Before i get yelled at, i'm sure that it is not always that terrible and i know that there are much worse places in the UK but i've been up to visit a few times and whilst some of the campus looked quite nice i found the actual city a bit depressing.

I think the city is probably improving in terms of crime and i doubt that it is a main cause in lowering applications; but perhaps more of a general reputation of the city?
Reply 17
Regardless of the actual level of crime, I have no doubt that the negative media portrayal of the city has caused the drop in applications. I seriously considered not applying specifically because of the press about the high level of violent crime, and only changed my mind after realising that the campus is not in a particularly urban area anyway.
Reply 18
schrodinger's cat
My brother's house in Nottingham was burgled twice in the two years he was there. Countless numbers of his freinds in other houses had windows smashed and graffiti on their houses by chavs and two of his friends were mugged at knife-point and this was all in his his three year degree. I would also add that he didn't like the university much and thought the tuition sub-standard.

Before i get yelled at, i'm sure that it is not always that terrible and i know that there are much worse places in the UK but i've been up to visit a few times and whilst some of the campus looked quite nice i found the actual city a bit depressing.

I think the city is probably improving in terms of crime and i doubt that it is a main cause in lowering applications; but perhaps more of a general reputation of the city?

Crikey!!!:eek: Where did your brother live? :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending