The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Unconditional for Econ and Pol a month ago, a week after I applied. Out of the two I've heard back from, it's currently my top choice...
Any other lightweights like me missing out on the phil.? :-)

Tx
University of York
York
Have fun with your three hour politics exam in the first term TrishS. Personally, I'd do Econ Pol and Phil the entire first year, and THEN decide.

Whats the point of needlessly limiting yourself?

You can change quite easily, the PEP office is very accomodating as long as you do early.
Reply 22
Redemption
Have fun with your three hour politics exam in the first term TrishS. Personally, I'd do Econ Pol and Phil the entire first year, and THEN decide.

You can change quite easily, the PEP office is very accomodating as long as you do early.

So... PEP for the whole first year is the best choice? Just because you don't have to do a politics exam? What about exams in PEP?

btw. what is the importance of the colleges at york? Do you have to apply for a college or do you just get allocated somewhere?
Lucks
So... PEP for the whole first year is the best choice? Just because you don't have to do a politics exam? What about exams in PEP?

btw. what is the importance of the colleges at york? Do you have to apply for a college or do you just get allocated somewhere?

PEP for the first year is the best choice as you don't know who you are in the first year, let alone who you will be before you start.

You get more relaxed exams also, and can drop any one of the three at any point.

Colleges are entirely social and aprez-academia. They have a library in each thats associated with the individual subject housed there, though. E.g. Alcuin -> Economics, Derwent -> Philosophy and Politics.

You don't do interdisciplinary exams in PPE in Y1, but you do shortened versions of the exams experienced by each individual subject.
Reply 24
Redemption

I'll thoroughly enjoy my three hour politics exam. I had 4 that length during my final A2 exams.

The point of 'needlessly limiting' myself...
1. I have little interest in pure philosophy - two fold here, it would weaken my personal statement and I don't particularly want to study it.
2. My top choice is LSE - where I can't study PPE/PEP. I thus would have had to do a 'once size fits all' PS that would have ultimately been less strong.
3. Surprisingly, I know what I want to study.

It's interesting that you view a joint honours degree as limiting. God forbid - what if I only wanted to study for a single honours!! :wink:

Tx
yaaay, got my offer (AAB) 2 days ago. Well chuffed! Only sent my application off on 29th of November!:smile:
TrishS
I'll thoroughly enjoy my three hour politics exam. I had 4 that length during my final A2 exams.

The point of 'needlessly limiting' myself...
1. I have little interest in pure philosophy - two fold here, it would weaken my personal statement and I don't particularly want to study it.
2. My top choice is LSE - where I can't study PPE/PEP. I thus would have had to do a 'once size fits all' PS that would have ultimately been less strong.
3. Surprisingly, I know what I want to study.

It's interesting that you view a joint honours degree as limiting. God forbid - what if I only wanted to study for a single honours!! :wink:

Tx

Lucky you that you know.

I don't, I doubt I will for years to come know who I want to be.
Reply 27
No, indeed, but then knowing what I want to study at undergrad legel and knowing who I 'want to be' are two different things. I might go so far as to venture that what I read at university may have limited long term impact on me as a person. Who knows.

On a personal note, I'd rather know who I am than who I might be. Rather soul destroying, no?

Tx
I got my offer on November, 20th. French baccalaureate: overall score of 14/20.

Latest

Trending

Trending