The Student Room Group

Only 20% of young British people are active followers of Jesus

Scroll to see replies

It's a phase for a lot of people which they grow out of of. A lot of people in general just say they belong to a religion because that's what they were born into.
It's a revelation that the figure is that high, what with all the abuse the liberal left throw at us Christians.
Reply 62
Original post by Dot.Cotton
It's a revelation that the figure is that high, what with all the abuse the liberal left throw at us Christians.

You know that Jesus wasn't from the UK right? Would you let him in?

http://religionnews.com/2016/12/09/christmas-reminds-us-that-jesus-was-a-migrant-like-todays-refugees-says-pope-francis/
Original post by desaf1
Meanwhile Islam is the fastest growing major religion on Earth whereas Christianity is losing millions of followers a year. Islam will be the largest religion in our lifetime. Many Christians convert to Islam every year.

Rubbish.

Muslim countries lie about the number of actual muslims in the country, ignoring the fact that many people pretend to be Islamic because it is illegal to be non-muslim. But there are growing number of people leaving Islam to join Christianity or become Atheism. Which is why muslim countries have frequent crack downs on youth watching western TV and publicly putting atheists to death (to discourage others from leaving Islam).

Doesn't look like a dominant religion with nothing to fear, does it?
Original post by Throwaway740
That is very rare.

Same at my past school but more people with 1 Christian to.
Original post by Dot.Cotton

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.

You lot frequently abuse 'liberals', blacks, LGBT, women and any other that don't fit in your narrow-minded view of the world . What do you think you deserve, based on the bible quote above?
Jesus Christ :smile:
Original post by FarhanHalim
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/17/one-six-young-people-christian-visits-church-buildings-inspire/

For any Christians on here, does this worry you? The fact that so few young people are actually practising Christianity? Or are you fine with it?

Doesn't worry me at all - I honestly would have expected a far lower percentage, so I'm very pleasantly surprised if that figure is indeed accurate! :jebus:
what an incredibly edGy thRead
Original post by desaf1
Islam preaches abhorrent things? Like what?

Testimony of a woman = half of that of a man, for example.

Lots examples of terror and murder and violence and rape being condoned, but I assume you are familiar with them.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Percentage of practising Christians will continue to nose dive but cultural Christians will soon stabilise, and may well grow in coming decades

Can safely say you'll find proportionately more "trash" outside of religious circles, than within them. See Christian chicks, FYR :hippie:

I'm not talking about people who follow religion being trash, I am talking about the fantastical ideology of religion that causes so much friction and violence between people because they disagree about who is floating up there in the sky.
Original post by markova21
Me thinks OP feels threatened by Christianity, like so many other Muslims. "Our religion has more followers than yours", etc. Carry on "Getting bigger and stronger" as you all like to say. Heaven is reserved for the very few, not billions.
While I agree with the first part of your post, the end makes you look like a JW. Not sure if that's intentional.
Hopefully Pastafarianism will rise!
I think it's good that young people are thinking for themselves rather than accepting everything their parents (or an ancient book) tells them. Of course there are still people who genuinely believe in God and the Bible's teachings to various degrees, and as long as they've considered their beliefs properly and don't force them on others, that's fine.

I think strict Christianity is dying or pretty much dead, but when I went on a school trip to a church, the idea of what I would call "open" Christianity pleased me. I wouldn't follow it myself (I'm an atheist), but to me it seems like a good compromise between science and religion. I think that form of religion is here to stay for a while yet.
That number would be even lower if you took the immigrant communities out of the equation. Give it a decade or two and even they will begin to see the light.

The problem however that will begin to reverse the trend is Islam and its followers in the U.K. I fear it will be many decades before it becomes free and watered down enough that the youngsters begin to question its nonsense and feel free to leave it without facing persecution. Which is why we need to limit the number of migrants from the likes of Saudi, Palestine, Qatar, Pakistan, Iran etc... so they don't continue to grow their backwards religion.
Original post by Shabalala
That number would be even lower if you took the immigrant communities out of the equation. Give it a decade or two and even they will begin to see the light.

The problem however that will begin to reverse the trend is Islam and its followers in the U.K. I fear it will be many decades before it becomes free and watered down enough that the youngsters begin to question its nonsense and feel free to leave it without facing persecution. Which is why we need to limit the number of migrants from the likes of Saudi, Palestine, Qatar, Pakistan, Iran etc... so they don't continue to grow their backwards religion.

What is your view on this?

https://islamqa.info/en/22309

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Hopefully Pastafarianism will rise!

I'm a follower of Lord Buckethead. :biggrin:
It kinda is I have rarely any Christian friends and I rarely see anyone really express their faith proudly in the UK. I see it a lot on social media from Americans they seem more open I wish it was like this in the UK.

I would say it isn't a rise of atheism it's a rise of Islam I see more Muslims than Christians nowadays (I have no problems with Muslims).

I'd definitely like more British Christian friends
Reply 78
I feel it's actually a positive thing.

A more open minded society has definitely helped bring more peace throughout Europe and the Americas (to some extent).

The middle-east is a mess partially due to Blair/Bush but also due to conflicting religious factions (Sunni, Shia, ISIS) believing they are all fighting a war for their own Gods.

I define myself personally as a "Christian-Lite", I believe in God however it doesn't take an idiot to realise that quite substantial portions of the Bible were probably written by someone on drugs - Genesis, Revelations etc

There are parts of the Old Testament also feature Stoning, Homophobia, Misogyny etc

There is no place for any of that in the modern world.

However, If you focus on the New Testament and more specifically the good ethical ideas in the Bible. Then Christianity can be a good moral guide.

As a result of the following unanswered philosophical questions, I currently believe there is something else ''outside'' our universe that we are incapable of understanding.

. What is consciousness? (''The Hard problem'':wink:
. What happened before the Big Bang - (Assuming the Big Bang theory is correct)?
. At what point does raw Inorganic/Organic Chemistry become 'living'.?
. Following on; Are we really just gigantic "Chemical robots"?
. Do we really have free will?
. If we are only composed of same elements formed from supernovae, can we be reduced to ''the universe studying itself?"
(edited 6 years ago)
A lot of it is due to social pressure, because Christianity is always mocked and criticised in the media. I think religion has become a bit of a dirty word in the UK, and I know myself I used to mock Christians a lot of the time, and look down on their faith as some kind of fairy tale.

What people have to realise is that your views change as you get older, and people tend to become more religious with age, and when they have a family themselves, as they want to pass religion down to their kids. So, people are not going to believe in the same things they did when they were younger and without any responsibilities. I have experienced this myself, as my Father was an Atheist himself, before becoming a Muslim later on in life.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending