The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Never been to The London, what's it like?

I remember UCH before it got rebuilt (it used to be my local district hospital) didn't look that good in those days :tongue:
looks freakin sweet.
This thread needs more Renal.
Well, even though the universities might have different rankings, the school of Medicine is MOST universities are basically of the same quality.

I would go with the stupid poll option
Reply 44
The London is currently being rebuilt, so in a few years it'll be like UCH, all shiny and glass. But at the moment, its all a bit manic and difficult to work in. I'm just biased because I've been in a District General for a month now and I get to do everything on my own and the patients don't mind my clarking them.
sTe\/o
Oxford students as a group go on to achieve the highest MRCP first-time pass rate. According to our resident medical educationalist. :wink:

Thats because you have the least foreign students.
theredsox
Tommies is blatently the best hospital ever.
:smile:

You think?
Tommies is by and large a whole, barr one or two plush areas.
Reply 47
Jamie
Thats because you have the least foreign students.

So foreign students perform less well? Language barrier or what? (In preclinical they tended to be better than the homegrowns.)
sTe\/o
So foreign students perform less well? Language barrier or what? (In preclinical they tended to be better than the homegrowns.)

If you are male, non-white, and born outside of the UK your odds of passing MRCP more than halve compared to a white female.
Reply 49
Wow, that's shocking. Clinical exams seem to be all about showmanship.
Reply 50
sTe\/o
Wow, that's shocking. Clinical exams seem to be all about showmanship.
There is some degree of truth there.

However, I think the main point is that OSCEs 'measure' clinical skills, analytical skills and soft skills rather than textbook memorising skills.
Reply 51
Renal
There is some degree of truth there.

However, I think the main point is that OSCEs 'measure' clinical skills, analytical skills and soft skills rather than textbook memorising skills.

Yeah, although I must admit I don't find them all that objective. I am not saying that out of bitterness, as I have done pretty well in OSCEs on occasion, but I find it depends a lot on the examiner.
Reply 52
Absolutely, but I'm not sure if there's a better alternative.
Reply 53
Jamie
If you are male, non-white, and born outside of the UK your odds of passing MRCP more than halve compared to a white female.

what's so special about the mrcp that you apparently think foreign people and females have a disadvantage?

i'm being genuine by the way, i just want to know. the only thing i know about mrcp is that it's an examination so i could be missing something here.
Reply 54
I suspect it's similar in others.

Except the MRCOG where you have to be Indian to pass... :wink:

(And ph9, I don't know whether Jamie thinks some people are at a disadvantage or not, and neither do you)
ph9
what's so special about the mrcp that you apparently think foreign people and females have a disadvantage?

i'm being genuine by the way, i just want to know. the only thing i know about mrcp is that it's an examination so i could be missing something here.

well one component of it is written, and thats though enough.
But yes, PACES (the OSCE type practical part) like renal says is very much about showmanship, and heavily involves communication.

Being as alot of non-white doctors struggle with the finer points of communication, that probably explains the fact that your odds of passing are so much lower.

I'm talking fact by the way, not guessing.

Latest

Trending

Trending