The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Can I still get into uni without maths GCSE?

I have put Bournemouth as my firm with my course as multimedia journalism. I feel fairly confident in my A levels which I need to get BBC. However, I need at least a C in maths GCSE and I know I have definitely not passed with a C but probably a D as that is what I get each time (I have retaken four times now and I am not retaking again as the exams are even harder now). I get that courses like maths, sciences, business etc require maths GCSE but I don't see why it's necessary for journalism or similar courses. Anyway, my question is, is it possible that I will still be accepted even if I don't meet this condition? Has anyone been in a similar situation? If there are still spaces on the course will I be accepted then even if I have not met the requirements?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

i'm sorry but u have to have at least C at maths that's for nearly all unis
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
I've applied for Bournemouth too :five: Pretty much all unis require a pass in English and Maths. I've heard of a couple of people who have gone to uni without Maths GCSE but it's quite rare. Your best bet is to wait until results day and see whether you've passed or failed and whether they've accepted you or not. They may end up accepting you anyway, but most unis do ask for a pass in GCSE Maths.
Reply 3
Original post by Anya17
I have put Bournemouth as my firm with my course as multimedia journalism. I feel fairly confident in my A levels which I need to get BBC. However, I need at least a C in maths GCSE and I know I have definitely not passed with a C but probably a D as that is what I get each time (I have retaken four times now and I am not retaking again as the exams are even harder now). I get that courses like maths, sciences, business etc require maths GCSE but I don't see why it's necessary for journalism or similar courses. Anyway, my question is, is is possible that I will still be accepted even if I don't meet this condition? Has anyone been in a similar situation? If there are still spaces on the course will I be accepted then even if I have not met the requirements?

you can get into a really low ranked university. but if i was you i'd find a way to re do my maths GCSE (it is really easy to get a C) because to even get a standard job with your degree you need at least a C in maths and english. or getting a job anywhere that is not fast food.
Original post by storm95
you can get into a really low ranked university. but if i was you i'd find a way to re do my maths GCSE (it is really easy to get a C) because to even get a standard job with your degree you need at least a C in maths and english. or getting a job anywhere that is not fast food.

The OP clearly states they've retaken 4 times so telling them it's easy isn't going to help.
Original post by Anya17
I have put Bournemouth as my firm with my course as multimedia journalism. I feel fairly confident in my A levels which I need to get BBC. However, I need at least a C in maths GCSE and I know I have definitely not passed with a C but probably a D as that is what I get each time (I have retaken four times now and I am not retaking again as the exams are even harder now). I get that courses like maths, sciences, business etc require maths GCSE but I don't see why it's necessary for journalism or similar courses. Anyway, my question is, is it possible that I will still be accepted even if I don't meet this condition? Has anyone been in a similar situation? If there are still spaces on the course will I be accepted then even if I have not met the requirements?

Ring BU admissions up and ask them whether they would automatically reject you if you miss the C grade or whether they'd consider the rest of your application.
Reply 6
Yes most likely u will b fine! They gotta fill their places! Lots uni's take with 1 grade missing.
please could I ask if you did indeed passed your maths and if you didn't were you still accepted on to the uni course anyway?
Reply 8
Not true. It depends on the Uni and their general standards.

I got into Uni without English and Maths GCSE. They are accepting more and more people without them just as long as they have some decent qualifications elsewhere. You can get through in Clearing too quite often.
Reply 9
Original post by fireychariot
please could I ask if you did indeed passed your maths and if you didn't were you still accepted on to the uni course anyway?

I never passed my maths but still got accepted! (ended up getting a D)
I got BBC in my A Level grades though, which was exactly what I needed for the course.
Original post by Anya17

Hey there!
I'm a Student Ambassador at BU and I was just looking through threads and saw this! How did you get on in the end?
Alice
i'm sorry but u have to have at least C at maths that's for nearly all unis
Original post by BU Students
Hey there!I'm a Student Ambassador at BU and I was just looking through threads and saw this! How did you get on in the end?Alice
I have a degree and A levels and a A in English gcse. Bournemouth still won’t accept me onto their degree which is ridiculous because the degree only contains basic maths. Out of order really.
Reply 13
I got into it uni for medical science at brookes .. didn't have a C in maths but I think the only reason I got in was because my grades were really high and my personal statement was the best in the college .
Original post by Heatherpop
I have a degree and A levels and a A in English gcse. Bournemouth still won’t accept me onto their degree which is ridiculous because the degree only contains basic maths. Out of order really.

oh, sorry to hear that. You can always try to apply through clearing in August, good luck with your future studies though :smile:
Alice
Original post by Anya17
I never passed my maths but still got accepted! (ended up getting a D)
I got BBC in my A Level grades though, which was exactly what I needed for the course.

How did you get in with a D? Can you please reply I'm poopin myself lol
You don’t need a maths gcse to get into university, I’ve failed maths and I have been given offers from the universities I applied for as long as I get the right A level grades.I think it depends on what course you want to study and you can get in through clearing. Even if you don’t meet the requirements they may be flexible by looking at ur references and it’s unlikely they will reject u straight away
Which university did you apply to
In the end did you get in?
Original post by Anya17

In the end did you get in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending