The Student Room Group

Question about funding.

Been offered a conditional place at Newcastle University to do a full time MA in British History next September. Sounds daft but I am really pleased:smile: ! I plan to fund the course myself but is there any point in applying to get any sort of help towards the cost of my fees? I've heard funding is competitive and that they tend just to assist people who have a first class degree. Plus I am a mature student so I would imagine funding would be more of a priority for younger people(rightly so.) Is it worth applying or would I just be wasting my time? Thanks.
Reply 1
Congratulations on your offer :smile: If you can be bothered to fill in the forms and sort out the references, then you might as well apply - you've got nothing to lose except a bit of time. It is obviously very competitive for any course in the arts, and from what I have gathered from listening to other people and looking at funding websites, even just getting a first is no guarantee of funding. I'm fairly certain the ahrc wouldn't discriminate against your age though.
rottcodd
I'm fairly certain the ahrc wouldn't discriminate against your age though.

They aren't allowed.
Your age has nothing to do with funding. There is actually funding for graduates who have been out of education of many years, if nott here are also career development loans which is what I took out. You can take up to £8000 and start paying back after the course finishes. Interest rate ranges between 10% - 12.9%. I got mine from Barclays who agreed to it just before the course started!

Latest

Trending

Trending