The Student Room Group

Need help with essay on Kant

This is the topic of my essay:
Topic: Evaluate Kant’s thesis that actions lack moral value unless they are performed with a good will or form the motive of duty or respect for the moral law. (Be sure to explain exactly what you think Kant means by this.) Would you say that Kant is right?

Can anyone tell me what kinda things I should include in the essay. Like the format etc. Also I am suppose to state an objection and a response to the objection.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you^^
Reply 1
lemontea
This is the topic of my essay:
Topic: Evaluate Kant’s thesis that actions lack moral value unless they are performed with a good will or form the motive of duty or respect for the moral law. (Be sure to explain exactly what you think Kant means by this.) Would you say that Kant is right?

Can anyone tell me what kinda things I should include in the essay. Like the format etc. Also I am suppose to state an objection and a response to the objection.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you^^

1. Explain what Kant means by a good will. What are the truth conditions for acting with a good will?
2. Examples - Kant provides 3 in the Groundwork I think, in support of this idea. They're about shopkeepers IIRC.

3. Objection: Personal relationships REQUIRE an emotional component in order to be moral. Kant's account neglects this.
4. Response: Not sure about this: I guess you could say that Kant is merely relevent to certain facets of morality eg. Scanlon's "the morality of right and wrong". But I don't think that's faithful to Kant himself

Latest

Trending

Trending