The Student Room Group
Might be a bit boring, as far as I know there's Highway 1, which just goes straight along the bottom of Australia, with little in the way of towns or interesting scenery, just desert. You might have more fun driving up the East Coast? Or across America?
Reply 2
Cheers mate, is this from experience? I though about the US but I was think the Oz had better senery. If it was the US it would be NYC - LA, any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Never even been to Australia lol, just preconceptions. I've been to California and the North-East of the USA including New York. I would personally much rather do this. As for scenery, a quick glance at a map of the US shows me you could quite easily take in NYC, Niagara Falls/Canadian Border, beautiful New England countryside, Philadelphia, Washington DC, the Appalachian mountains, the Deep South (maybe Tennessee, Arkansas), some Texan cities, deserts of the South-West including Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Yosemite National Park, a coastal Californian town (e.g Santa Cruz) and then SF. Having been to both, I can tell you San Francisco is a much nicer city than Los Angeles.

You could take a more Northerly route instead, and go via the Great Lakes, Niagra, some of the industrial cities maybe (Detroit, Cleveland), Chicago, South to St. Louis or Kansas City then across the Great Plans (which are supposed to be pretty boring), to somewhere like Colorado where there are mountains etc, then across Utah and Nevada, possibly including Las Vegas and Californian sights such as Yosemite.

I've been thinking about this way too hard!
Reply 4
Thanks mate, you've forced me to reconsider - which sound like a good thing :biggrin:

Only thing being, I found a car rental place that would lend to a 20yr old in Oz, do you know of any in the US? :s-smilie:

Cheers
No idea, I'm not even of driving age. An idea might be to buy a banger in New York, sell it in California? Just a thought, probably cheaper as well.
Reply 6
I didn't drive from Sydney to Perth, but Melbourne to Cairns via Alice Springs. When you're in the Outback, the roads and pretty repetitive, but we went this way to see Ayers Rock, which was an experience to remember. I would really recommend going to Melbourne. It was better than Sydney in my opinion. Good night life and people there. A driving route that isn't so boring would be Melbourne to Cairns, going up the east coast. This way you drive through the main cities of Australia (except Alice, Perth and Darwin) and will get better weather as you go north. This depends on the time you go, of course.

Latest