The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Alchohol-free Freshers' Week

Hi everybody!

With Freshers' Week coming up, it can feel like students are talking non stop about club nights and pre drinks - but there is so much more to being a Fresher at Oxford Brookes.

I don't drink, and when I went to uni I was pretty nervous about what people would think about this. Would people not want to hang out with me if I wasn't drinking? Would people think I was boring? And the answer to this was...nobody cared! Drinking isn't compulsory, and if anything I found that people respected the fact that I stood by what I wanted to do, and who I wanted to be, rather than going along with the crowd.

I still went to the pub with my friends, I still went to pre drinks and occasionally ended up out with them too, just sober. And this was fine with everyone! But I think it's important to remember that nightlife and drinking is only a small part of uni life. You'll be going to lectures, working out, playing sports, making dinner, watching movies, revising, reading, watching TV, food shopping, gaming, getting lost, laughing, crying, doing anything you want to; and it's doing these everyday things together that make the friendships that'll last a lifetime.

Plus you will definitely meet other people who don't drink, there are loads of us out there.

If you're looking for events during Freshers' Week that aren't based around drinking, here's what's on:

Welcome BBQ - Saturday 16 Sept at 6pm - John Henry Brookes Building Quad
Free food and soft drinks!

Walking tour of Oxford - Tuesday 19 Sept at 11am - meet at 5 Broad Street
This will definitely not be a boring tour :smile:

Brookes Sport Freshers' fair - Wednesday 20 September 10am - 4pm - Headington Centre for Sport
Find out about and sign up for our sports societies

Throwback Thursday Ice Skating Disco - Thursday 21 September 7.30pm - Oxford Ice Rink
Dance on ice to some absolute classic guilty pleasures

Freshers' Fair - Friday 22 September 10am - 4pm - John Henry Brookes Building
Meet the societies of Oxford Brookes, find out all about them and sign up

Open Air Cinema - Sunday 24 September at 7.30pm - venue TBC
Cinema under the stars

Multifaith Chaplaincy events - all week
Any faith - and anyone without a faith - are welcome to come and relax and chat

Have a great Freshers' Week :smile:
Are any of the tickets, both ones with alcohol and non-alcohol ones, available to buy at the door?
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Original post by Namita Gurung
Are any of the tickets, both ones with alcohol and non-alcohol ones, available to buy at the door?

Hi Namita

You can get in touch with the Union to ask questions about all the events - reach them on 01865 484750 or [email protected].

Have a good first week! :smile:

Alice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending