The Student Room Group

Being in the Pool

Just wanted to offer a word of advice about being put in the pool. I applied last year to do history at Clare College and was expecting to either get straight out rejected or accepted. When I opened the letter and found out I was pooled, I didn't have a clue what to think.

Everyone forgets how horrible the pool is. You have to wait for nearly a month longer than everyone else to find out what your fate is, and you spend weeks wondering whether you are even going to get another interview.

I was quite lucky - I got an interview at New Hall, but this in itself caused a lot of problems. Considering that the single-sex colleges are probably the main colleges to offer places to those in the pool, I would definately think about whether you would mind being in a single-sex college.

Ultimately, I didn't get in and if I'm honest, it's not an easy experience to get over. I had another two interviews, which were definately more traumatic than the first. One of the probelms I had was that I had applied to an older college because I like history, and then I had to answer questions on whether I would mind being in a modern or single sex environment.

Best of luck to all of you, but I would definately start thinking about what you want from Cambridge and whether another college could offer this. Just be prepared for the pool, because it's probably the most difficult outcome to deal with

Best of luck anyway, and if all else fails, there are plenty of other universities that are just as good! I'm at Warwick now, and there are lots of people there who are just as good as those at Cambridge!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks for the insight :smile:

In a way I'd rather be rejected outright than be put in the pool and face being rejected after another load of nerve-racking interviews (and interviews during the exam period can't be good...)

I'm dreading the fact that I may be pooled actually...
Reply 2
Yeah, it sucks. But it's there to make sure that if you're good enough, you get a place. The waiting is agony though- you're just left in limbo, and quite often have to explain to people what it actually means.
I applied to King's last year and was pooled, it was painful. The interview process in Cambridge is, I believe, quite cruel in general to be honest (Speaking from comparative experiences at Oxford interviews).
Reply 4
If it helps to hear it from the other side, I was, like the OP an applicant to Clare for History (and only four of us got pooled, so that means there's a 50% representation here for that college/subject). I never actually expected to get an offer so being pooled was a good thing for me, though explaining what the 'pool' was about a million times to every man and his dog that asked about it was not fun. I went up to Cambridge a second time for three more interviews - two at Girton and one at Fitz. The interviews I had were much more fun than they were the first time round AND people seemed a lot less nervous (most people were pretty resigned to being rejected and hadn't even done the usual preparation, for example). The interviews were more relaxed and were much more enjoyable.

About 4-5 days later an envelope arrived on my doormat from Fitzwilliam College, which I knew was an offer before I'd even opened it (they wouldn't have written a letter for anything else). All in all, yes the pool drags it out, but it's not a terrible, terrible thing, and although if you get an offer you don't get to go to your first choice college, you'll still love wherever you go.

So, please, stop panicking. Not just about this, but about everything. You're all gonna have strokes or something.
Reply 5
One good thing about possibly getting pooled is that I'll be able to visit lovely Cambridge again sooner than I would otherwise (and if I got rejected outright at least) :p:
The interviews I had were much more fun than they were the first time round AND people seemed a lot less nervous (most people were pretty resigned to being rejected and hadn't even done the usual preparation, for example). The interviews were more relaxed and were much more enjoyable.

[here "you" is the hypothetical.]

One way to lower your chances of getting in are to worry and worry and do hours and hours of preparation for the interviews. Cambridge was the only place from my choices that I wanted to go to last year, and so I did a lot of preparation. I barely slept the night before out of nerves and royally messed up my interviews: the hype and fear about them had been built up by my school and by myself for so long.

This year I had time to travel around and look at different places, and found five places that I would be really happy to go to. So I knew that I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't get into Oxford (where I applied this year). I didn't worry too much about preparation beforehand - also my school wasn't shoving interview hype down my throat [since I'd left]. As a result, I was really calm and relaxed throughout the interview period and really enjoyed them.

Your mindset is the most important asset with which you can enter an interview room.

[edit] - not to say that you should do NO preparation, just don't worry yourself numb.
I would hate to be pooled even though it gives me a second chance of getting a place the fact that you have to go through the interview again for me is a waste of time and then having to wait again for thier decision. Although having said that it may turn out for the better for those who get pooled to another college.
Reply 8
How quick do you have to reply if you're pooled? I'm abroad when the letters arrive, and I get home on the 8th. It would really suck to miss some sort of pooling deadline :/
Reply 9
Reply? You don't reply, you just wait for a phonecall.
The college you're pooled at phones you up? In all cases?
Reply 11
FOr those of you who say you would rather be rejected than pooled.... there is a solution! If you are pooled then simply withdraw your application and you won't have to go through the angst! :P
Reply 12
city_chic
The college you're pooled at phones you up? In all cases?

No. Three things could happen:

If you are pooled by, for example, King's, and no other college wants you, then you will be sent a letter towards the end of the month saying you were unsuccessful.

If you are pooled by King's and another college is interested in you and wants to make you an immediate offer, you will be phoned by that college and notified.

If you are pooled by King's and another college is interested in you, but wants to interview you, then you will be phoned by that college and they will arrange interviews/accomodation with you.

It is possible for more than one college to be interested in you, so you could be called for interviews at more than one college - in which case the two colleges will normally arrange times between themselves and then notify you.

There are certain days when certain subjects have their pool interviews, if you aren't called by then (it'll probably be either the 8th-11th ish or the week after, the 14th-16th ish) then you've not been fished and will get a rejection from your original college.
Reply 13
It is possible for more than one college to be interested in you, so you could be called for interviews at more than one college - in which case the two colleges will normally arrange times between themselves and then notify you.

I'm curious - what if both colleges wanted you? Would one college back down and let the other college keep you? Or would they agree to... share? :p:
No. Three things could happen:

If you are pooled by, for example, King's, and no other college wants you, then you will be sent a letter towards the end of the month saying you were unsuccessful.

If you are pooled by King's and another college is interested in you and wants to make you an immediate offer, you will be phoned by that college and notified.

If you are pooled by King's and another college is interested in you, but wants to interview you, then you will be phoned by that college and they will arrange interviews/accomodation with you.

There are certain days when certain subjects have their pool interviews, if you aren't called by then (it'll probably be either the 8th-11th ish or the week after, the 14th-16th ish) then you've not been fished and will get a rejection from your original college.

Oh I see. Thanks for making it all clear :smile:
Reply 15
Lidka
I'm curious - what if both colleges wanted you? Would one college back down and let the other college keep you? Or would they agree to... share? :p:

Erm, I'm in the relatively unique position of actually knowing that this happened to me and how they resolved it. Basically my DoS explained that after interviewing me both colleges really wanted me, but because I had a motorbike accident a couple of years ago, and have injuries from it, the DoS from Girton conceded that I would probably benefit from being closer to town and so let the other college take me.

Apparently if there wasn't some way to resolve it like this, they'd have tossed a coin.
Reply 16
Erm, I'm in the relatively unique position of actually knowing that this happened to me and how they resolved it. Basically my DoS explained that after interviewing me both colleges really wanted me, but because I had a motorbike accident a couple of years ago, and have injuries from it, the DoS from Girton conceded that I would probably benefit from being closer to town and so let the other college take me.

Apparently if there wasn't some way to resolve it like this, they'd have tossed a coin.

That's brilliant! Wow. I love this university...

Wow, surely they should just ask the applicant? After all, you may have fallen in love with Girton, and it's only fair after the hell of having about thirty interviews...:smile:
Reply 18
jonnythemoose
Wow, surely they should just ask the applicant? After all, you may have fallen in love with Girton, and it's only fair after the hell of having about thirty interviews...:smile:

Nope, the applicant doesn't get a choice at all.
Reply 19
did you have a preference? like, were you secretly hoping for one to take you over the other? or was it one of those things where you just pray any of them take you

Latest

Trending

Trending