The Student Room Group

RAF Tornado and Typhoons airstrike ISIS positions

An update from the Ministry of Defence on airstrikes carried out against ISIS in late September.

The action took place north-east of Dayr az Zawr, as a Reaper delivered three attacks on Thursday the 28th of September: Hellfire missiles hit a sniper team and another group of terrorists, whilst a GBU-12 was used to demolish a Daesh-held building. In northern Iraq, Tornados conducted a simultaneous attack with a Paveway IV and a Brimstone on a local terrorist command group who had been identified south of Kirkuk.

No footage from the targeting pod has been released so I thought I'd embed a video of an RAF night time airstrike on ISIS vehicle convoys

[video="youtube;D8nLFfIL62g"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8nLFfIL62g[/video]

The war against ISIS is winding down; the capture of Mosul was completed back in July and ISIS' lands in the Hawijah province were taken by the Iraqi Army in September. All the major Sunni cities (Ramadi, Fallujah) have been previously taken.

And now ISIS capital of Raqqa, in Syria, has been almost completely taken by the brave Kurdish warriors. The ISIS terrorists have been pushed back to a tiny core in the centre of Raqqa only a few hundred meters wide. All ISIS has left now is its Sunni Euphrates valley heartland, and even there, many ISIS fighters are fleeing and its leadership have to move from house to house every single day for fear of getting clipped by American and British drones.

The main consideration, going forward, is how the Sunnis will be integrated into Iraqi politics to ensure we don't end up having a third Sunni-dominated insurgency a few years from now. But I suspect the Sunnis are tired of fighting, and they see the destruction that comes when they support insurgents. If the Shi'ite elite in Baghdad can temper their sectarian tendencies, I believe Iraq can look forward to a much brighter future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending