The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If you do then you'll have to ask all of the universities you've applied to if their offers will still stand.

MB
Musicbloke's right, you'll have to contact the universities and run it by them to see if they still want to offer you a place.
Reply 3
I am in the same position and was looking to do the same thing. I would have thought as long as i got the grades (based on the offer of 3 a levels) i would be ok, as they wouldnt see that i was doing 4 in the 1st place when it comes to result day
Unless an offer clearly stated grades for 4 a levels
two4one
I am in the same position and was looking to do the same thing. I would have thought as long as i got the grades (based on the offer of 3 a levels) i would be ok, as they wouldnt see that i was doing 4 in the 1st place when it comes to result day

wtf? why wouldn't they? your application will show that you're taking 4 a levels. results day will show that you dropped one.
two4one

This is very naive and shows that you have not read the information on the UCAS website very well. It clearly states there that you have to notify them of any changes in the information on your application. You should also talk to the university making an offer before putting that decision (to drop a subject) into effect.

You run the risk of losing all your offers, otherwise. The universities will find out that you have dropped a subject when the results are published.
Reply 6
Ok my mistake
Thanks
Yep, just to add, the reason for this is they may have given you an easier offer on the basis that you're doing 33% more work throughout the year.

MB
Clare College, Cambridge said I had to sit at least AS Further Maths, despite my severe abhorrence of it!
Reply 9
If that fourth (or fifth in my case) is General Studies and your offers specifically state AAA exc. General Studies; do you still need to tell them?

I think yes still, but not sure...
Reply 10
alpesh24
If that fourth (or fifth in my case) is General Studies and your offers specifically state AAA exc. General Studies; do you still need to tell them?

I think yes still, but not sure...

Yes, for the same reasons that MB and GB mentioned.
What is it in the UCAS instruction "You must write to us immediately if your exam subjects, modules or units, awarding or examining board, centre number or any other details change. You must also tell the universities or colleges where you hold offers or those that are still considering your application" that people have so much trouble understanding?

Does this give an exclusion for general studies? No, it does not.
Reply 12
Good bloke
What is it in the UCAS instruction "You must write to us immediately if your exam subjects, modules or units, awarding or examining board, centre number or any other details change. You must also tell the universities or colleges where you hold offers or those that are still considering your application" that people have so much trouble understanding?

Does this give an exclusion for general studies? No, it does not.

What if you hold an unconditional offer?
Read what it says again. If it gives an exclusion for unconditional offers then you don't have to tell them. If it doesn't then you do.

In you are still studying but the offer is unconditional, it may be that they want you to carry on studying to keep in practice. It is not a good idea to be doing nothing - it is too easy to be off the pace when you try to start again.
Reply 14
ok i am in pretty similar situation, doing 4 A-levels excluding General, and all my offers are b/w AAA to ABB, so say i do not drop the 4th subject but just neglect it and get sumthin like AAAE, will i still meet the requirement for the uni that required AAA in no specifed subjects??
Of course you will, though you lose one of the advantages of doing four A levels - having a safety net subject - and may miss out in terms of what you haven't learned.
Reply 16
Well, if the subject you want to drop isn't in your offer it should be fine, as long as you still have 3 subjects and can get the grades, they should allow it. Obviously it's probably best to check, but my older brother mesed up his maths in January when he did A levels, and he was doing 4 subjects so he just dropped the maths and carried on with the other three. If it's too much then get rid of it. :biggrin:
Reply 17
Great, I'll have to phone the rounds of all the applied- to universities just to tell them I ain't doing critical thinking anymore.

I'm sure they'll be interested in hearing that after giving a stressful lecture and having a professor- work load to shift through.
chaseside
Great, I'll have to phone the rounds of all the applied- to universities just to tell them I ain't doing critical thinking anymore.

I'm sure they'll be interested in hearing that after giving a stressful lecture and having a professor- work load to shift through.

Honestly, honestly not trying to sound rude, but do unis actually accept critical thinking as an a level? I thought it was usually veto'd.
Reply 19
Naa they don't, but I'm under advisement to personally phone all unis about dropping it. Lol, like they'll care?!?!

Latest

Trending

Trending