The Student Room Group

Cambridge Law Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Selene
Damn. It took me about three hours to get the ratio sorted. Call myself an A Level Maths student... :rolleyes:

I could well be wrong though.. but when it was obviously the wrong size it wouldn't upload, and when it was almost exactly the right ratio then it uploaded it. I don't think it's that important that it has to be perfect. They just don't want some massive, distorted photo of you. I only cropped it a little at the top, then used the 'resize' button on the edit bar so that it was the right ratio.
Muppety_Kid
Calm down dear! :p:

Unless you've clicked "Submit", I'm pretty sure you can change it. The head/shoulders thing is just so that it resembles a passport photo - you want your face in the centre, and not too much body showing.

Now, back to the damn ratio! I guess you took the photo digitally? I edited mine in Photoshop to make sure it was the right size - if you're not confident doing that, I can have a look for you if you send me a link. :smile: Don't worry, it's not an excuse to stalk you, although I know some people are reluctant to send photos over the web (I know I am!).

Failing that, tell me what the ratio is and I'll tell you how large the photo should be. Then you can crop it yourself. :smile:

Yeah I took the photo digitally and then it just uploaded? It now looks like the same size as the passport photo (though I still have no idea what ratio it is- it looks right to me though! I kinda just assumed what Becbec did, that it wouldn't upload if the ratios were wrong as that happened with another photo. :smile: Anyway, I think I shall just keep it now seeing as it seems okay(ish)

And no I havn't sent it yet! Cambridge's multiple reminders are now slightly starting to freak me out. :eek:

By the way, thanks for the offer about me sending my photo to you but yes, I'm one of the weird ones that feel funny about that :smile: Maybe you can meet me in person down the streets of Cambridge one day :o:
SAQ SENT!!! :woo: :eek3: :eek3:
Silvertongue
SAQ SENT!!! :woo: :eek3: :eek3:

Nice one! :top:
Muppety_Kid
Nice one! :top:

Thanks!! And so it begins...*scary music*

But do you think it matters if I didn't put N/A for questions that didn't really apply such as any problems with teaching etc? :confused:
Reply 385
Silvertongue
Thanks!! And so it begins...*scary music*

But do you think it matters if I didn't put N/A for questions that didn't really apply such as any problems with teaching etc? :confused:

Nope, I don't think it'll matter. They'll take your silence to mean that it wasn't a relevant question :yes:
Well done for getting it all finished :clap2:
Reply 386
What did you guys put for specific career plans? I talked about wanting to be a lawyer in my PS, but I don't know what area of practice, or even (for certain) whether I want to be a barrister or solicitor. That's why I didn't specify in my my statement. Any thoughts? I hate to leave it blank, but I'm not sure what I have to say.
jjarvis
What did you guys put for specific career plans? I talked about wanting to be a lawyer in my PS, but I don't know what area of practice, or even (for certain) whether I want to be a barrister or solicitor. That's why I didn't specify in my my statement. Any thoughts? I hate to leave it blank, but I'm not sure what I have to say.

Well I just left it blank because there wasn't really any space to say much at all :smile: Don't worry, I'm sure it won't count against you at all if you leave it blank or if you really want to say something, just saying you want to be a lawyer without specifying anything else
Reply 388
I said I really wanted to pursue a career in Law, but was also researching a career in Politics or the Civil Service :yep:
Hi there,

I am currently in the process of deciding upon my A-level choices - which I will commence next September. I wish to study four (or possibly five) subjects and am currently trying to decide between:

-English Literature
-English Language
-Government and Politics
-Philosophy
-Economics
-Classics

I realise that some of these subjects are deemed to be more prestigious than others but would still appreciate some advice on which would provide the best combination for future admission to the University of Cambridge.

With regard to extra-curricular activities and work experience, I think that I'm fine (so far I have completed placements at two "magic circle" law firms and one investment bank, all of which I have arranged off by own back). I plan to carry on with this ethos and amass as much work experience as possible from now on. As for extra-currics, I take part in several sporting/musical activities and have also completed programmes such as the Duke of Edinburgh award.

One final query, how many A* grades at GCSE does the average successful candidate have? I have been informed by the admissions tutors at both Magdalene and Pembroke that the average number is approximately 5 - 7 but this pales into insignificance if you show a marked improvement at A-level. I would still be keen to gain an insight into how many A*s "real" applicants achieved as I feel this would help me to build a more comprehensive picture of what is really required.

Thanks for taking the time to read this... Responses will be highly appreciated!
personally i would choose,

Govt & pol
Economics
Eng Lit
Phil

out of the ones you selected, and add classics if you choose to do 5.
Reply 391
Don't do English Language. Others are fine, but I'd probably avoid Philosophy. Some colleges prefer Law applicants to have an Arts/Science mix, so that's something to consider.

Extra-curriculars aren't important.

Most successful applicants have majority A* grades at GCSE. 6A* was the average a couple of years ago, it will be higher now.

Good luck.
Reply 392
6 A* grades at GCSE is about average for Cambridge applicants, so I'd have thought maybe 7 A* would be more likely for successful candidates. Law is about average for tariff points, so it's probably average for GCSEs too. Of course, all this is a little trifling, since there are much more important considerations than precisely how many A*s you got at GCSE.

Do note that success in your A levels is, as far as Cambridge will be concerned, more important than any extracurricular activities you might be doing.
Reply 393
Personally:

-English Literature
-Government and Politics
-Philosophy
-Economics
Reply 394
jcb914
Don't do English Language. Others are fine, but I'd probably avoid Philosophy.

why?
Joseph1994
Hi there,

I am currently in the process of deciding upon my A-level choices - which I will commence next September. I wish to study four (or possibly five) subjects and am currently trying to decide between:

-English Literature
-English Language
-Government and Politics
-Philosophy
-Economics
-Classics

Brilliant choices if you get 5As :wink:
Reply 396
Jinxy
Personally:

-English Literature
-Government and Politics
-Philosophy
-Economics

That's what I would recommend too, from a personal perspective only.

Maybe some will argue that classics is better than govt. & politics but the former isn't much more respected and govt. & politics will prove useful for law undoubtedly, especially if you're interested in politics. :wink:
Reply 397
DJkG.1
That's what I would recommend too, from a personal perspective only.

Maybe some will argue that classics is better than govt. & politics but the former isn't much more respected and govt. & politics will prove useful for law undoubtedly, especially if you're interested in politics. :wink:

Agree completely. :smile:
Reply 398
becbec :)
Well I got a sheet of Data Protection information that I had to sign before they'd look at my application. It was just about passing information on to other colleges if I was pooled, or storing the information whilst I was applying, or being contacted by students if I got a place. I'm guessing it's just Trinity then :dontknow:

Eeek... :unsure:

How long after sending your application / SAQ did you get this Bec? I think you mentioned getting a letter from them too (might have been somebody else though).

I haven't received anything but my application was sent later than yours. Then there are these bloody postal strikes. :frown:
DJkG.1
Eeek... :unsure:

How long after sending your application / SAQ did you get this Bec? I think you mentioned getting a letter from them too (might have been somebody else though).

I haven't received anything but my application was sent later than yours. Then there are these bloody postal strikes. :frown:

I got this too at the same time as my SAQ confirmation. I wouldn't worry, it might take up to a day after you sent SAQ for it to come through :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending