The Student Room Group

Cambridge Law Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tortious
I thought he was, but it's not in his sig and he's never mentioned it before so I didn't know whether he minded anyone else knowing. And how is it sneaky?! It only dawned on me then to plug his name into Hermes (I'm his Facebook friend so I've got his name).

Oh I see - well apologies TWW if I have revealed top secret info about you, I will remove if you want em to :smile: Didn't realise you were friends on FB, but using CRSID as an identifier just seemed awfully espionagey :p:
Original post by Zoedotdot
Oh I see - well apologies TWW if I have revealed top secret info about you, I will remove if you want em to :smile: Didn't realise you were friends on FB, but using CRSID as an identifier just seemed awfully espionagey :p:

Now you mention it, I suppose it does when I could've just asked him. :doh:

Speaking of Facebook, please could I have a look at your May Ball photos? I don't think we've met so I haven't added you - any chance you could PM me a link? :flutter:

Thanks. :h:
I take it you don't want your college revealing, so I'll ask you this: does your CRSid contain 237? If so, I wouldn't have said that it's that convenient - our hostels are only 10-15 minutes away from our college! :p:

Impressive stalking! I won't ask how you did it :wink:

I don't mind - I cycle everywhere and it just means I can't conveniently go home for naps in the middle of the day so I spend more time working.
I typed an entire reply to you then my connection died, so it looks like my post disappeared...

(Also, I see you've been contacted by Faro_a11 too... :holmes:)

To both of you, what's Contract like? Would you say it's like Criminal in that there's a consistent structure throughout (e.g. AR/MR), or is it more like Tort? Either way, it sounds fairly interesting from the little bit I've done for interview practice (literally just "for a valid contract, you need an offer, acceptance and consideration"!). :smile:

It's more like tort really. You don't have to go through the tedious basics like offer and acceptance, consideration etc., it's mostly obvious so you can jump to the issue. Criminal is unique in how anal it wants you to be.
Original post by The West Wing
Impressive stalking! I won't ask how you did it :wink:

I don't mind - I cycle everywhere and it just means I can't conveniently go home for naps in the middle of the day so I spend more time working.

I got your name from Facebook and used Hermes. I felt really clever until I realised your college is on Facebook anyway!

Mind you, I've made a bit of a name for myself with my web skills among the other first year lawyers at Pembroke. At one point last term the Master (Sir Richard Dearlove, of course) had a lunch - there was a rumour doing the rounds that I'd been invited and he's trying to recruit me as a spy! :lol:
I got your name from Facebook and used Hermes. I felt really clever until I realised your college is on Facebook anyway!

Mind you, I've made a bit of a name for myself with my web skills among the other first year lawyers at Pembroke. At one point last term the Master (Sir Richard Dearlove, of course) had a lunch - there was a rumour doing the rounds that I'd been invited and he's trying to recruit me as a spy! :lol:

:eek:. You may have breached rule number one of being a spy by telling us about it though!
I've just come across a wonderful piece of dictum:

Megarry V-C in GKN Bolts & Nuts: the best approach to the question [of the dispute] is to use "the broad sword of common sense".

Very useful test!
Do you really think EU is twice the size of Criminal? I reckon EU is the smallest and easiest subject I do this year (there are only 5 topics really, Directives, Remedies in the ECJ, Remedies in National Courts, Goods, Persons) and the paper is quite generous so you can realistically drop one of them. Criminal on the other hand you have to know everything in quite a lot of detail AND the policy/criticism behind it, AND the background to the enactment of the law!

It may be that I find it more boring, but I think it is larger. I know you can drop loads but there's still loads of tiny points in the questions. Especially persons problems. Every time I look at one, I find a new point I've never heard/thought of before...

I typed an entire reply to you then my connection died, so it looks like my post disappeared...

(Also, I see you've been contacted by Faro_a11 too... :holmes:)

To both of you, what's Contract like? Would you say it's like Criminal in that there's a consistent structure throughout (e.g. AR/MR), or is it more like Tort? Either way, it sounds fairly interesting from the little bit I've done for interview practice (literally just "for a valid contract, you need an offer, acceptance and consideration"!). :smile:

Probably because we're both on the sticky :wink:

It's more like tort, i'd say. You have to make separate structures for separate points (e.g. there's something like 5 vitiating factors we have to learn, all with different structures and case law behind them) and all of them have to link. Possibly I'm learning it wrong though :biggrin:

Problem is, offer, acceptance and consideration rarely comes up unless the question is *solely* dedicated to that point. You generally assume there was valid offer and acceptance unless it's quite clear that the question is angling for you to discuss it. Consideration tends to be mentioned.
Original post by gethsemane342
It may be that I find it more boring, but I think it is larger. I know you can drop loads but there's still loads of tiny points in the questions. Especially persons problems. Every time I look at one, I find a new point I've never heard/thought of before...

Probably because we're both on the sticky :wink:

It's more like tort, i'd say. You have to make separate structures for separate points (e.g. there's something like 5 vitiating factors we have to learn, all with different structures and case law behind them) and all of them have to link. Possibly I'm learning it wrong though :biggrin:

Problem is, offer, acceptance and consideration rarely comes up unless the question is *solely* dedicated to that point. You generally assume there was valid offer and acceptance unless it's quite clear that the question is angling for you to discuss it. Consideration tends to be mentioned.

Right, I see. It certainly sounds like something I'd enjoy - especially since I'm doing better in Tort than I anticipated. I've just come back from a three-hour supervision having had a mock returned to me. I crammed for it the night before (I'd been revising Tort but didn't know that others had asked for him to run a mock on that day) and got a high 2:i. :biggrin: Morale is now at a high for Consti/Civil revision - if I can understand Tort, I can tackle anything else!
(edited 12 years ago)
Right, I see. It certainly sounds like something I'd enjoy - especially since I'm doing better in Tort than I anticipated. I've just come back from a three-hour supervision having had a mock returned to me. I crammed for it the night before (I'd been revising Tort but didn't know that others had asked for him to run a mock on that day) and got a high 2:i. :biggrin: Morale is now at a high for Consti/Civil revision - if I can understand Tort, I can tackle anything else!

Congrats! :smile: Tort's a bit of a random one. Steer clear of essays though. They're too hard to answer well, really (guy who came third in my year got a low 2.1 for tort because he answered an essay and halfway through, realised how much extra reading he'd needed to do to answer it properly) (it's a shame since I fully attribute 90% of my grade in that paper to him). Revising for it was the only time in my entire life that I've gotten the Fear. And I was so convinced that I knew nothing that not only was I surprised to pass, some of my friends were surprised as well :tongue:

Consti usually does nice papers and Civil isn't too bad. It's very difficult to get a first in though - 9 people in my year got a first in Civil, compared to something like 19 in criminal and 22 in tort!
(edited 12 years ago)
Congrats! :smile: Tort's a bit of a random one. Steer clear of essays though. They're too hard to answer well, really (guy who came third in my year got a low 2.1 for tort because he answered an essay and halfway through, realised how much extra reading he'd needed to do to answer it properly) (it's a shame since I fully attribute 90% of my grade in that paper to him). Revising for it was the only time in my entire life that I've gotten the Fear. And I was so convinced that I knew nothing that not only was I surprised to pass, some of my friends were surprised as well :tongue:

Consti usually does nice papers and Civil isn't too bad. It's very difficult to get a first in though - 9 people in my year got a first in Civil, compared to something like 19 in criminal and 22 in tort!

How did he come 3rd in the year with a low 2.1 in tort?! He must have done amazingly in the others.
How did he come 3rd in the year with a low 2.1 in tort?! He must have done amazingly in the others.

Well, he got joint first in Civil I and high firsts in Constitutional and Criminal (I suspect in at least one of them, he was only beaten by the guy who came first). If you look at the 2010 Cambridge Student Law Review, he's the winner of the Criminal Law Essay Prize - this is pretty much how much of a genius he is (he's also planning on trying for the EU prize this year. I wish him luck, as long as he stops arguing with me about convergence thesis at random moments :tongue:)
Well, he got joint first in Civil I and high firsts in Constitutional and Criminal (I suspect in at least one of them, he was only beaten by the guy who came first). If you look at the 2010 Cambridge Student Law Review, he's the winner of the Criminal Law Essay Prize - this is pretty much how much of a genius he is (he's also planning on trying for the EU prize this year. I wish him luck, as long as he stops arguing with me about convergence thesis at random moments :tongue:)

I'm quite glad we don't have any of these people at my college. I like feeling (relatively) clever :lol:

I've just read that guy's essay. It's pretty awesome.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm quite glad we don't have any of these people at my college. I like feeling (relatively) clever :lol:

Ha ha, i don't mind - on top of being a complete genius, he's absolutely lovely and always explains stuff to me when I'm stuck. He once spent an hour trying to explain something in constitutional law to me because I mentioned I was confused. He also spent 45 minutes explaining free movement of goods when I came out of a supervision depressed because I hadn't understood any of it.
Is it true there are less places for international students who want to study Law? I read that International students make 13% of all but where can I find the number of applicants? I am interested in Law.
Reply 1195
Can anyone give me suggestions on what 4 A Level subjects i should choose out of: History, English Lang, Economics, Philosophy And Biology...
Heading for a law degree, hopefully in oxbridge x

Im currently aiming for at least 5 A*S and 5.5 A's for my gcse's, i hope i stand a chance, being from a comprehensive school.

anyway, any advice, information, suggestions, please put forward by a quote, i would appreciate it very much :smile: thanks x
jjarvis

D'you know, I think today was the first time I ever met all the lawyers in my year at another college. I've now spoken to every Hughes Haller in your year except for one. I actually feel quite proud of myself :tongue:

Original post by manousha
Is it true there are less places for international students who want to study Law? I read that International students make 13% of all but where can I find the number of applicants? I am interested in Law.

I don't think so. Medicine has a quota but I don't *think* law does. Certainly they can't have one for EU students. I think international students make up 13% primarily because:

a) Less of them will apply than British students.

b) To study at Cambridge, your standard of English has to be quite high and so a lot of international students won't make the standard. In addition, I hear that in interview situations, if you panic and English isn't your first language, you have a tendency to want to revert to your own language (I'm taking this from a friend who is an international student). This is dangerous in the interview (because the interviewer is unlikely to speak the same language ... unless it's french :tongue:) so you have to be extra-well prepared to deal with pressure.
(edited 12 years ago)
D'you know, I think today was the first time I ever met all the lawyers in my year at another college. I've now spoken to every Hughes Haller in your year except for one. I actually feel quite proud of myself :tongue:

Hahaha. I've definitely only met two of the Christ's lawyers, including you. (Also, we prefer Hughesians! :wink:)

I'm bricking exams just a wee bit, and also (unfortunately) seem to be shedding stress on everyone I speak to. Should try to stop doing that... :frown:
Original post by jjarvis
Hahaha. I've definitely only met two of the Christ's lawyers, including you. (Also, we prefer Hughesians! :wink:)

I'm bricking exams just a wee bit, and also (unfortunately) seem to be shedding stress on everyone I speak to. Should try to stop doing that... :frown:

You'll be fine, you've (successfully) sat four years' worth of exams before, and you're competing against 19 year olds in half your papers :p:. I'm sure you'll kill it :smile:
Original post by jjarvis

I thought you met a third one? He certainly knows you! From mooting?

But yeah, it's funny, Christ's 2nd year lawyers aren't generally that talkative to other lawyers. Two guys have a lot of friends from Singapore but the other 4 generally stick to people they know.

(It may be you lot are just far more friendly. I was only standing there for about one minute before the Hughesians who were waiting started talking to me :smile:)

No, I'm getting horribly stressed as well. Didn't help that I felt like dying today. Genuinely, the amount of times I nearly ran out of that supervision was amazing (that's also why my questions were so incoherent - i was having an interesting time connecting thoughts to each other). As a result I've worked at a snail's pace today.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending