The Student Room Group

Cambridge Law Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doughnuts!!

I thought that the LPC would be a breeze compared to a degree! :zomg:

Btw, at which firm do you intend to do your TC?

It's because they condensed it into 6 months. My TC is with one of the very large firms that forces their trainees to do the short LPC. I probably would have done it by choice anyway, but it means we have to work 9-6 every day with homework on top.

I didn't go to many lectures in Cambridge but you really have to go to the ones here as the supervisions happen the next day or two days later. My learning style was more 'read about it and then think about it for a bit and then read it again a few days later', but there really isn't enough time to learn like that on the LPC.

Still though, it's just something to get on with.
Original post by The West Wing
It's because they condensed it into 6 months. My TC is with one of the very large firms that forces their trainees to do the short LPC. I probably would have done it by choice anyway, but it means we have to work 9-6 every day with homework on top.

I didn't go to many lectures in Cambridge but you really have to go to the ones here as the supervisions happen the next day or two days later. My learning style was more 'read about it and then think about it for a bit and then read it again a few days later', but there really isn't enough time to learn like that on the LPC.

Ah, that's scary! I go to lectures in Cambridge though unless I find I'm spending those hours drawing.

Heh, guess I'll have to start reading Per Inc then - especially if my article ends up in it too :tongue: But hey, you like your firm so it's worth it, right?
Original post by gethsemane342
Ah, that's scary! I go to lectures in Cambridge though unless I find I'm spending those hours drawing.

Heh, guess I'll have to start reading Per Inc then - especially if my article ends up in it too :tongue: But hey, you like your firm so it's worth it, right?

Yeah, I'm very much a 'get on with it' type. I'm going to do all I can to do well on the LPC despite how boring it is.

What do you draw when you're supposed to be at lectures?

Out of interest, have you submitted your Per Inc article already? The previous editor isn't as easily contactable as you are, so if you wouldn't mind forwarding it to me, I'll see that it makes it in this year (although perhaps not this edition) and I can post you a copy of the edition with it in if you'd like. :flutter: Let me know if you need my email address. :smile:
Original post by Tortious
Out of interest, have you submitted your Per Inc article already? The previous editor isn't as easily contactable as you are, so if you wouldn't mind forwarding it to me, I'll see that it makes it in this year (although perhaps not this edition) and I can post you a copy of the edition with it in if you'd like. :flutter: Let me know if you need my email address. :smile:

No I haven't, when is it due again? It might be better off in the Lent one when people are thinking about job applications (and it would give me more time to write :flutter: )
No I haven't, when is it due again? It might be better off in the Lent one when people are thinking about job applications (and it would give me more time to write :flutter: )

Ah, if you haven't done it, there's no rush. The deadline for this issue is 25 September but we've already got quite a few contributions (and it seems to be taking an International angle anyway, so Geth will be pleased :wink:). I'll get in touch with you in Lent once we know what's happening with the next one...assuming I haven't been fired! :lol: :poke:
Yeah, I'm very much a 'get on with it' type. I'm going to do all I can to do well on the LPC despite how boring it is.

What do you draw when you're supposed to be at lectures?

Nothing exciting. I'm awful at art. In fact, i'm the only person in my class who basically failed it in Year 9. Mainly spirals or stick people.

Occasionally i write on my neighbour's handout instead. She isn't often impressed. Another friend usually joined in though. I fully suspect this is why Goymour doesn't like me - she saw us doing it once :tongue:

Ah, if you haven't done it, there's no rush. The deadline for this issue is 25 September but we've already got quite a few contributions (and it seems to be taking an International angle anyway, so Geth will be pleased :wink:). I'll get in touch with you in Lent once we know what's happening with the next one...assuming I haven't been fired! :lol: :poke:

Ha ha, if you have enough contributions i don't mind not submitting this. I'm not sure how clear it actually is to anyone who doesn't know much about EU law. And since that'll be, at most, 5 of us in the entire undergrad body...
Nothing exciting. I'm awful at art. In fact, i'm the only person in my class who basically failed it in Year 9. Mainly spirals or stick people.

Occasionally i write on my neighbour's handout instead. She isn't often impressed. Another friend usually joined in though. I fully suspect this is why Goymour doesn't like me - she saw us doing it once :tongue:

:giggle:

I always paid attention in her lectures - I quite liked the Neighbours-themed one on servitudes. :p:

Ha ha, if you have enough contributions i don't mind not submitting this. I'm not sure how clear it actually is to anyone who doesn't know much about EU law. And since that'll be, at most, 5 of us in the entire undergrad body...

Nice try, but you're not getting out of it that easily. :wink: Nah, only joking. If you want to send it before the deadline, I could have a look at it and let you know what I think, if you like. Generally we only copy edit articles ourselves so it's up to contributors if there's stuff they want to change. I'm currently editing one on the "gendered nature of rape"; I think it might need a few more revisions before it can go in...
:giggle:

I always paid attention in her lectures - I quite liked the Neighbours-themed one on servitudes. :p:

Nice try, but you're not getting out of it that easily. :wink: Nah, only joking. If you want to send it before the deadline, I could have a look at it and let you know what I think, if you like. Generally we only copy edit articles ourselves so it's up to contributors if there's stuff they want to change. I'm currently editing one on the "gendered nature of rape"; I think it might need a few more revisions before it can go in...

To be fair, I usually did too. This one time was an exception because my friend was depressed about how far behind with work she was and that she had to go to a supervision with a supervisor she didn't like later - I was cheering her up by helping her come up with inventive things to do to land law and her supervisor :tongue: Goymour didn't actually tell us off, she just glared. Our other friend, however, told me off in great detail later :colondollar:
She does a land law quiz in 2nd year. It's more fun than it sounds. In all 3 terms, Christ's scored the grand total of 0.5 points (my doing :biggrin:) Did she also do a Pride and Prejudice themed lecture? She did that with us. I had a deal with someone at the time that I'd read that book and I hated it. The other Christ's lawyers thought my expression throughout the lecture was hilarious...

I'll read through it and see if it makes sense but I'll probably submit it soon anyway: apart from anything else, I'm on an internship on the deadline.

(Gendered nature of rape? Er ... surely the gendered nature is that only blokes can commit it as the principal but any gender can be raped?)
(edited 12 years ago)
To be fair, I usually did too. This one time was an exception because my friend was depressed about how far behind with work she was and that she had to go to a supervision with a supervisor she didn't like later - I was cheering her up by helping her come up with inventive things to do to land law and her supervisor :tongue: Goymour didn't actually tell us off, she just glared. Our other friend, however, told me off in great detail later :colondollar:
She does a land law quiz in 2nd year. It's more fun than it sounds. In all 3 terms, Christ's scored the grand total of 0.5 points (my doing :biggrin:) Did she also do a Pride and Prejudice themed lecture? She did that with us. I had a deal with someone at the time that I'd read that book and I hated it. The other Christ's lawyers thought my expression throughout the lecture was hilarious...

I'll read through it and see if it makes sense but I'll probably submit it soon anyway: apart from anything else, I'm on an internship on the deadline.

(Gendered nature of rape? Er ... surely the gendered nature is that only blokes can commit it as the principal but any gender can be raped?)

Initially I couldn't understand how she could know what you were doing, then I realised you sit at the front. I'd forgotten she does Land - can't wait! :biggrin: She did the P&P one with us, although I wasn't as impressed since it lacked the "detailed PowerPoint drawings" of the servitudes lecture...

Who's the internship with (if you don't mind me asking)? I thought the MC/SCs had run them all by now. :dontknow: I was all set to apply then realised that they don't open until 1 October anyway. On the plus side, I've identified the firms I think I'm going to apply to, but there's not much I can do until the Solicitors' Fair. :s-smilie:

As for the "gendered nature of rape", it's a guy writing who (I think) is trying to argue that "rape" shouldn't be a crime reserved for men. At one point, he tries to draw a comparison between female victims having to deal with the risk of pregnancy and male victims having their sperm "stolen" by a woman trying to get pregnant. It's...an interesting angle. :indiff:
Initially I couldn't understand how she could know what you were doing, then I realised you sit at the front. I'd forgotten she does Land - can't wait! :biggrin: She did the P&P one with us, although I wasn't as impressed since it lacked the "detailed PowerPoint drawings" of the servitudes lecture...

Who's the internship with (if you don't mind me asking)? I thought the MC/SCs had run them all by now. :dontknow: I was all set to apply then realised that they don't open until 1 October anyway. On the plus side, I've identified the firms I think I'm going to apply to, but there's not much I can do until the Solicitors' Fair. :s-smilie:

As for the "gendered nature of rape", it's a guy writing who (I think) is trying to argue that "rape" shouldn't be a crime reserved for men. At one point, he tries to draw a comparison between female victims having to deal with the risk of pregnancy and male victims having their sperm "stolen" by a woman trying to get pregnant. It's...an interesting angle. :indiff:

Not always but on that day, we were really close to the front - a mistake on our part I suspect. Still, she only has to see me for Aspects next year and as that's not a supervised topic, it's fine, she'll never speak to me. I say this, I spent an EU lecture looking around the room when I sat at the front. Not only did the lecturer recognise me from lectures (she waved to me when she saw me outside), she ended up supervising me for 2 supervisions. So not my best moment ever. But she is now my favourite law academic so it's not too bad :biggrin:

Internship's with the police. I applied a while ago and even though it'll be redundant if I get a TC at the beginning of September, it should be really interesting. I'm not much interested in working in crime any more but I'm with 2 family-related units and I'm interested in police law and torts resulting from police handling so should give me a good perspective on that.

Well, you *can* steal sperm - Yearworth v Bristol CC? - but that sounds interesting. Surely S.2 and S.4 SOA covers females forcing males to engage in sexual intercourse? It even has almost exactly the same sentencing guidelines...

Sorry to intrude since you sound so busy and this is obviously a question for the (what seems like!) distant future, but would you say you maybe regret that your chosen firm requires a 6 month LPC , then, or that you'd perhaps recommend people did a longer one instead? I'd just always thought that - if I did decide to go down the solicitor route - that the LPC would be much easier than Cambridge undergrad because people of a wide range of abilities and experiences were being taught together.
Original post by Vinchenko
Sorry to intrude since you sound so busy and this is obviously a question for the (what seems like!) distant future, but would you say you maybe regret that your chosen firm requires a 6 month LPC , then, or that you'd perhaps recommend people did a longer one instead? I'd just always thought that - if I did decide to go down the solicitor route - that the LPC would be much easier than Cambridge undergrad because people of a wide range of abilities and experiences were being taught together.

No I don't regret it, I'm not looking to have an easy year or an easy life hence why I'm choosing the career that I'm choosing. The main things to factor in are they start 1st August (less than a month after graduation), there is about 1 month work of pre-course work, and there is only 2 weeks off for the whole period. Also you have to absorb the information quickly as the sessions take place the day after lectures.

The normal LPC is a bit easier because people of all backgrounds do it, but the LPC I'm on only includes people from 5 firms, all of which are top 10. The quality of people on the course is probably higher than at Cambridge. Certainly they are more motivated and diligent, which is the most important trait for doing the LPC (and in my opinion succeeding in life).
(edited 12 years ago)
The quality of people on the course is probably higher than at Cambridge. Certainly they are more motivated and diligent, which is the most important trait for doing the LPC (and in my opinion succeeding in life).

Not all of the most diligent/motivated Cambridge students want to be commercial solicitors, so I'm not really sure this holds up. It's got the best of the Cambridge students who want to practice as commercial solicitors. Obviously the accelerated LPC won't have people who want to go to the bar (some of whom will have better academics, and/or be more motivated and diligent), or who want to practice in a different area of law.

The chief advantage of the City LPC at BPP would, to my mind, be that it focuses primarily on information which is useful for practice as a commercial solicitor.
Original post by jjarvis
Not all of the most diligent/motivated Cambridge students want to be commercial solicitors, so I'm not really sure this holds up. It's got the best of the Cambridge students who want to practice as commercial solicitors. Obviously the accelerated LPC won't have people who want to go to the bar (some of whom will have better academics, and/or be more motivated and diligent), or who want to practice in a different area of law.

The chief advantage of the City LPC at BPP would, to my mind, be that it focuses primarily on information which is useful for practice as a commercial solicitor.

I think my comment is definitely fair. Of course you miss out the (very small number) of very dedicated people who want to be barristers, but apart from that it's only people who are committed to a career in law. There were people in Cambridge who did nothing all week and then and did the supervision work off wikipedia the morning of the supervision. On the whole I would say the standard of the people on the accelerated LPC is higher than on the Law tripos.
Original post by jjarvis

I don't think TWW was saying all the diligent/motivated people want to be commercial solicitors. I think he was saying, of those who *are* on the course, they tend to be more diligent/motivated than many Cambridge students. That is not to say that someone who's just started Teach First was less motivated/diligent, only that they're not on the course.

And you're right, of course. Our mutual Christ's friend isn't particularly interested in commercial soliciting or the Bar but she's incredibly motivated and diligent. Doesn't mean she's of a lower standard than people on the LPC though :smile:
Reply 1396
A Levels:
History, Economics, Philosophy and Govt & Politics for a law degree in oxbridge?
Original post by Faro_a11
A Levels:
History, Economics, Philosophy and Govt & Politics for a law degree in oxbridge?

Yes that's perfectly fine.
I don't think TWW was saying all the diligent/motivated people want to be commercial solicitors. I think he was saying, of those who *are* on the course, they tend to be more diligent/motivated than many Cambridge students. That is not to say that someone who's just started Teach First was less motivated/diligent, only that they're not on the course.

And you're right, of course. Our mutual Christ's friend isn't particularly interested in commercial soliciting or the Bar but she's incredibly motivated and diligent. Doesn't mean she's of a lower standard than people on the LPC though :smile:

Can't tell if this is intentional :s-smilie:
Can't tell if this is intentional :s-smilie:

Me being lazy :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending