The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I would greatly appreciate any help on this matter, thank you!
Original post by L'Etudiant
I would greatly appreciate any help on this matter, thank you!

Here's the original thread with those questions and (some?) answers. I suspect if you could solve 30% within a few minutes of Jessica posting the list you'll be fine at interview...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=320602

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Here's the original thread with those questions and (some?) answers. I suspect if you could solve 30% within a few minutes of Jessica posting the list you'll be fine at interview...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=320602

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you and lol no, I have been working through them for a while. I'd be quite impressed if I could solve them that fast haha!
I worked through those questions too. Some of them are harder than others but I am pretty sure that they won't be ask. I watched the interview video, and they asked to a girl to sketch 1/sin(x) (not really hard ^^) so it will be probably less harder.
Original post by Mansmisterio
I worked through those questions too. Some of them are harder than others but I am pretty sure that they won't be ask. I watched the interview video, and they asked to a girl to sketch 1/sin(x) (not really hard ^^) so it will be probably less harder.

Thanks for your post, good luck for your interview!

I don't know, perhaps the video is to make the interview seem easier than it is so nerves are at a minimum for potential interviewees. I just want to be prepared because I really struggle in interview situations.

What modules have you covered so far? Will you be looking at STEP papers to practice for the interview?
I'm french so I studied all my math program of this year and when I went to Cambridge during open days I bought pure core 2 and 3 and further core 2 and 3. I only studied all pure 2 and 3 and if I have an offer I will study further.
And yes I've been looking at Step I and II, but compare to questions above Step is a bit harder and longer, however I think it's a good practise.
I'm french so I studied all my math program of this year and when I went to Cambridge during open days I bought pure core 2 and 3 and further core 2 and 3. I only studied all pure 2 and 3 and if I have an offer I will study further.
And yes I've been looking at Step I and II, but compare to questions above Step is a bit harder and longer, however I think it's a good practise.

Oh cool, so prior to the interview you will have only completed Core 1, 2 and 3? What about the applied modules such as Decision, Mechanics and Statistics? What are you wearing for your interview?

So do you think it is worth practicing with STEP papers?
Oh cool, so prior to the interview you will have only completed Core 1, 2 and 3? What about the applied modules such as Decision, Mechanics and Statistics? What are you wearing for your interview?

So do you think it is worth practicing with STEP papers?

It's always worth practising with STEP papers!
We do lot of statistics and probabilities in France, and I don't think they will ask me something about Mechanic because I didn't say that I studied it in my SAQ and I didn't choose math with physic.

i don't know if it is really worth practising Step but you should practise because if you have an offer you will have to do it so it won't be a waste of time.
Original post by StarvingAutist
It's always worth practising with STEP papers!

Haha, of course I shall prepare for STEP but I meant for the interview specifically? Should I concentrate on recapping what we've learned in A-Level Mathematics or would practicing STEP be better at this stage?

We do lot of statistics and probabilities in France, and I don't think they will ask me something about Mechanic because I didn't say that I studied it in my SAQ and I didn't choose math with physic.

i don't know if it is really worth practising Step but you should practise because if you have an offer you will have to do it so it won't be a waste of time.

Cool, I've quite enjoyed Statistics so hopefully I get questions on that! :smile: On my SAQ I think I wrote too much, some topics I haven't started yet :| I really underestimated how long it would take to self-teach myself everything.
I would greatly appreciate any help or advice! :smile:
3) I know why I want to do Maths and why I have chosen my specific college. Obviously this is important but considering the interview is only 45 minutes how much time will they spend asking you about this?

4) I know a bit about the history of Mathematics too - is this something they go into (Role model, favourite Mathematician, favourite topic)?

6) Lastly, what is everybody wearing? I was thinking of wearing something like this except with smart trousers and shoes. Is that appropriate or should I just go for a suit?

Other questions

- If you have an early interview are you going to travel there on the day or will you get there the night before and stay in a B&B?
- Do they ask you about your non-maths A-Levels as well?

Thank you for your time and good luck!

Can't give you too specific maths advice. But they won't ask you anything about why you picked that college - in fact, interviewers are forbidden to ask this. If you have a 'general interview', you might go into some of your personal statement, why you want to study maths. If you only have academic interviews, they won't spend any time on this and will just ask you questions about maths.

For clothes, wear what's comfortable - please don't go in a suit, if only because you'll look like a **** in front of the other applicants. I'm pretty sure I went in a hoody and jeans.

If you have an early interview and live far away, most colleges will provide accomodation - I'm surprised you haven't heard anything about this.

They won't ask about your non-maths A-Levels.
Original post by PythianLegume
Can't give you too specific maths advice. But they won't ask you anything about why you picked that college - in fact, interviewers are forbidden to ask this. If you have a 'general interview', you might go into some of your personal statement, why you want to study maths. If you only have academic interviews, they won't spend any time on this and will just ask you questions about maths.

For clothes, wear what's comfortable - please don't go in a suit, if only because you'll look like a **** in front of the other applicants. I'm pretty sure I went in a hoody and jeans.

If you have an early interview and live far away, most colleges will provide accomodation - I'm surprised you haven't heard anything about this.

They won't ask about your non-maths A-Levels.

Thank you so much for your post!

Oh dear, you're right. They did inform us about accommodation! :colondollar: I only live 1.5 hours away so I guess I'll just travel there on the day, I'll just have to leave home quite early.
Well the email doesn't say what kind of interview it is but since I only have one and a test I guess it will be academic only.
Reply 4173
Original post by IGU
Right now I'm very reluctant to direct towards Cambridge (for example) a quiet, unassuming kid who is very advanced mathematically. I'm not at all sure that she won't be bored the first year with classes in material she already knows, and sit quietly in supervisions that don't teach her anything; she won't say anything, and generally just study on her own much as she has to in school now.

Hi IGU. I would suggest that you give very serious consideration to options that don't involve Cambridge, if you have got such options available.

Cambridge in many ways breeds yes-men who haven't got much intellectual ground to stand on of their own making, ground from which they could give a considered view of 'the system' and of what very bright, very driven students might be able to get out of it. Someone like Grothendieck would have been crushed at Cambridge. Cambridge won't yield any Grothendiecks or even a Wolfram.

A lot of what's weak about Cambridge doesn't get said much publicly, and when it does you can expect its defenders to jump on the person who says it - which is the main reason it doesn't get said much. People capable of saying it don't want to have to scream at the tops of their voices as if 'playing chess with pigeons', pigeons who won't give up but who won't address the points with sufficient intellectual honesty either (not necessarily because they are dishonest, but because they're just not in the habit of thinking about this stuff and they know which side their bread is buttered). (In the cliché, playing chess with pigeons is a waste of time because they knock the pieces over, defecate on the board, and strut around looking victorious.)
Original post by shamika
anyone who is capable of benefiting from learning it before their third year (Cambridge has an undergraduate course which is highly unusual) is able to ask to take supervisions in that course early.

Asking isn't getting. Many ask and don't get, or don't ask because they know they wouldn't get. Some then study and don't tell their DoSses. Others think that what they're told must be right, because that's the 'taking it like a man' private-school attitude, and then tell themselves they can't have been 'capable' in the first place, or in any case that if they were capable it still wouldn't have been right for them to do it.

If they are at Trinity, and are in the in-crowd, and hold their knives and forks the private-school way, and have an IMO background, they might be in with a chance, so long as they don't baulk at the 'thinking about hard problems' approach, because that would be like cursing in church or speaking out of line (which of course indicates how much the purveyors of such an approach have properly thought about it). Elsewhere one person a year at five or six colleges who doesn't fall at one of the first few hurdles and who pushes like hell might possibly also be in with a chance. You are understimating just how lazy the majority of DoSses and academics at Cambridge are.

'Is that student capable?' is similar to asking 'Is that man a member?' I mean it's not as if loads of students want to get supervisions in courses they aren't working at and learning from. The common attitude from DOSses is that 'giving' supervisions for courses outside of the 'year' for which a student is officially registered is an expense. It comes out of their budget. They're being asked for a favour.

It has to be said that the college system stinks (see above regarding pigeons - I'm not going to get involved in a long discussion on that - but will mention that what I'm saying only applies to undergraduates), the journal system also stinks, and that so does the PhD system in Britain in general - with many PhD students doing what amounts to helping out (with other people's research and also with education) and often having a lot of time on their hands.

Personally I think a university should not allow full-time PhD students to spend more than 3 hours a week supervising undergraduates, and that when considering PhD dissertations a university should disregard all work that has fed into joint papers or might well feed into future joint papers that the student has published or may publish as a coauthor together with his supervisor or with anyone else. I mean are we talking about intellectual training or job training?

As for eagerness to give advice, that doesn't correlate 100% with having relevant knowledge that indicates a strong capability to advise on much other than stepping up a few rungs on the academic creep-ladder. Got to work it all out for yourself, really.

As I said, I'd strongly advise considering all your options, including ones that don't involve Cambridge (and other top universities in Britain are at least as bad), for example options that involve private study and private contacts with willing professors elsewhere in the world (or perhaps even one or two in Britain if you can find any with a non-cynical attitude).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by grid
Cambridge in many ways breeds yes-men who haven't got much intellectual ground to stand on of their own making, ground from which they could give a considered view of 'the system' and of what very bright, very driven students might be able to get out of it. Someone like Grothendieck would have been crushed at Cambridge. Cambridge won't yield any Grothendiecks or even a Wolfram.

I've thought this myself, although I wouldn't have put in quite such strong terms. I love the system but I'm not "very bright", and it's mostly about learning stuff and producing proofs rather than learning to think. (One might argue that Cambridge's not yielding a Wolfram is really a blessing…)
Reply 4175
Original post by Smaug123
One might argue that Cambridge's not yielding a Wolfram is really a blessing…

I don't much like Stephen Wolfram's personality, nor do I think his work is anywhere near as earth-shattering as he thinks it is (I don't think anybody does!), but he went off on a really big one intellectually, he got his teeth into it for years on end, and he pushed it a long way (even if it doesn't explain the universe, so he's mistaken about how deep he's pushed it) - and he deserves credit for that. Those are aspects of what I'd call a good research attitude, for all else that might be said about Wolfram's work or indeed his research attitude. All of what I've italicised also applies to Alexander Grothendieck, Isaac Newton, etc.

I think Wolfram has more intellectual drive and oomph than most academics who work their way up through the journal system. That's even if he could have used a bit of advice in earlier life to examine his assumptions. ("Hey Steve, I know you went to Eton but are you sure that cellular automata are the answer to everything? I mean really sure? Or is it just an idea you're investigating, and which might turn out to be false? So how might you falsify it, Steve? Let's meet once you've had some thoughts on that :smile:")

He's rigorous, though. Got to admit that. You couldn't even tell him "hey, when Leibniz published on the binary system he was influenced by the I-Ching, so be careful you don't get too AI-y from being too bogged down in the preconceptions of this benighted tiny little period in history you're living in", because he's been there and considered that, albeit (unfortunately) not in those exact terms and even if he does seem to believe that Leibniz's role in the history of the universe was as a precursor to the great Steve :adore:

I've read some of his book A New Kind of Science, and although I only knew about a few tiny areas among those that he covers, I can confirm that he covers those areas with rigour and that he makes a serious effort to get to the bottom of them. That's the opposite of the feeling I get from a lot of academic articles (and other kinds of article), where if the author mentions parenthetically or in a footnote some area that's tangential to his main focus, and it happens to be an area you know a lot about, you often think "oh goodness, he's pretending he's got this wide outlook but he doesn't really know what he's talking about on this point - he makes elementary errors".

smaug123 - if you get the feeling that the Cambridge system doesn't teach people how really to think, I'd call you very bright, not the opposite.
Original post by grid
I don't much like Stephen Wolfram's personality, nor do I think his work is anywhere near as earth-shattering as he thinks it is (I don't think anybody does!), but he went off on a really big one intellectually, he got his teeth into it for years on end, and he pushed it a long way (even if it doesn't explain the universe, so he's mistaken about how deep he's pushed it) - and he deserves credit for that. Those are aspects of what I'd call a good research attitude, for all else that might be said about Wolfram's work or indeed his research attitude. All of what I've italicised also applies to Alexander Grothendieck, Isaac Newton, etc.

I think Wolfram has more intellectual drive and oomph than most academics who work their way up through the journal system. That's even if he could have used a bit of advice in earlier life to examine his assumptions. ("Hey Steve, I know you went to Eton but are you sure that cellular automata are the answer to everything? I mean really sure? Or is it just an idea you're investigating, and which might turn out to be false? So how might you falsify it, Steve? Let's meet once you've had some thoughts on that :smile:")

He's rigorous, though. Got to admit that. You couldn't even tell him "hey, when Leibniz published on the binary system he was influenced by the I-Ching, so be careful you don't get too AI-y from being too bogged down in the preconceptions of this benighted tiny little period in history you're living in", because he's been there and considered that, albeit (unfortunately) not in those exact terms and even if he does seem to believe that Leibniz's role in the history of the universe was as a precursor to the great Steve :adore:

I've read some of his book A New Kind of Science, and although I only knew about a few tiny areas among those that he covers, I can confirm that he covers those areas with rigour and that he makes a serious effort to get to the bottom of them. That's the opposite of the feeling I get from a lot of academic articles (and other kinds of article), where if the author mentions parenthetically or in a footnote some area that's tangential to his main focus, and it happens to be an area you know a lot about, you often think "oh goodness, he's pretending he's got this wide outlook but he doesn't really know what he's talking about on this point - he makes elementary errors".

smaug123 - if you get the feeling that the Cambridge system doesn't teach people how really to think, I'd call you very bright, not the opposite.

It annoys me that Wolfram seems to think he's doing fundamentally new stuff, when he's really extending the work of people like Conway and Church. I have been unable to tell how his Principle of Computational Equivalence is any different from the Church-Turing thesis, for instance. Of course, his work is far more comprehensive in these areas than has ever appeared before, but it's not "new" in the sense of "new kind of science".

I also find it a bit disturbing that the default random-number-generator in Mathematica is based on a cellular automaton, rather than (say) any of the well-researched peer-reviewed cryptographically-secure PRNGs available. I know the Mathematica random numbers aren't sold as being crypto secure, but the research on CA randomness is so much rarer than on general PRNGs.

By "bright" I mean "natively really good at maths", rather than "has had training in rationality through reading most of the LessWrong Sequences" :P
I'm in Year 11. I was planning to apply to do Maths at Cambridge but I heard that only one person from my school has got in in the last ten years, and his offer was 44 points at IB (which is ridiculously high), so now I am not so sure. How important are GCSE results, and do most people have all or nearly all A*s? And do most people do more than 4 AS-levels? Also, my school offers the choice between IB and A-levels. Will one be easier to get in with than the other? I know that at IB I would have to do HIgher Level Maths and Physics, and I would have to do double Maths if I choose A-levels, but would doing Physics A-level make much of a difference? This year I sat the UKMT Senior Challenge and got through to the Kangaroo. To have a realistic chance of getting in do you need to be the kind of person who's getting a high score in the BMO1 or getting through to the BMO2? I go to a private school, so that would probably set the bar a bit higher (hence the 44 points offer). I know that's a lot of questions but I would really appreciate it if you could answer any of them. Thanks
Original post by aNyeilator
I'm in Year 11. I was planning to apply to do Maths at Cambridge but I heard that only one person from my school has got in in the last ten years, and his offer was 44 points at IB (which is ridiculously high), so now I am not so sure. How important are GCSE results, and do most people have all or nearly all A*s? And do most people do more than 4 AS-levels? Also, my school offers the choice between IB and A-levels. Will one be easier to get in with than the other? I know that at IB I would have to do HIgher Level Maths and Physics, and I would have to do double Maths if I choose A-levels, but would doing Physics A-level make much of a difference? This year I sat the UKMT Senior Challenge and got through to the Kangaroo. To have a realistic chance of getting in do you need to be the kind of person who's getting a high score in the BMO1 or getting through to the BMO2? I go to a private school, so that would probably set the bar a bit higher (hence the 44 points offer). I know that's a lot of questions but I would really appreciate it if you could answer any of them. Thanks

GCSEs are not the most important factor for Cambridge Maths. They do look at then, however, so it behooves you to do as well as possible on them - and especially at Maths, of course.

A Level UMS play a bigger part in decisions, but as an IB student you don't have to worry about that. The best thing you can do is work on your problem solving skills by doing SMC, Olympiad style questions and maybe some STEP I stuff once you've done some year 12 material, so that you can perform well in interview.

Getting an offer is only half the job, and the IB requirements are usually not the hard part (I think they usually ask for 41-42 points rather than 44 btw). They will also make offers based on grades achieved in STEP - and half of offer holders fail to meet those requirements.

There are plenty of Cambridge mathematicians who didn't do particularly well at the SMC or BMO, so don't worry too much about that. Just work on getting better at and enjoying the subject :smile:.
Original post by aNyeilator

The more uncertain Cambridge are of your abilities, the higher your offer will be. I've heard of a person being offered 38 for Maths there before though. If you have a good prediction you'll probably get an interview, but I strongly recommend taking Further Maths at IB if you can. I should point out that I'm biased towards the IB; I think it's an amazing course for university preparation. The Maths is a fair bit more challenging than A level Maths.

For IB, GCSEs are a bit more important than for A level applicants as they're probably the last time you'll have done exams. This is what Cambridge themselves said. I only got 6 A*s at GCSE though, but I still have an interview and I'm predicted 43.

I should point out though, the jump between GCSE and IB HL Maths is HUGE. Have a look at STEP papers after year 12 though, and if you think you can do them then I think you should try and apply.

Latest

Trending

Trending