The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shamika
I meant the yearly intake in Cambridge too - 20% seems high to me. However I can't remember I got "50% of those at Cambridge didn't make their offers" either so there's a chance I'm wrong too.

We were told in our introductory lecture that in the 2014/15 intake, 1/3 of people starting the course (~80) had not met their offer. I am not sure whether this is representative of a 'good' or 'bad' year but it seems a lot to me.

Here at Trinity, I don't know anyone who got below 1S, but there aren't a huge number of SS people to be honest- maybe 1/3 of Trinitarians have SS.
Original post by Ben385
We were told in our introductory lecture that in the 2014/15 intake, 1/3 of people starting the course (~80) had not met their offer. I am not sure whether this is representative of a 'good' or 'bad' year but it seems a lot to me.

Here at Trinity, I don't know anyone who got below 1S, but there aren't a huge number of SS people to be honest- maybe 1/3 of Trinitarians have SS.

Year before they said if cambridge had strictly imposed 1,1 offer then it would have only let in 170. So it seems to be about the same number (considering some missed offers of the 80 you were told would have possibly been 1,1s or S,1s off SS or S1 offers
Original post by Ben385

The numbers (from memory) are broadly similar for the 2013/2014 intake across the university.
Original post by Ben385

Have you come across any mature students (i.e. 21+) studying Maths at Trinity?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DJMayes
The numbers (from memory) are broadly similar for the 2013/2014 intake across the university.

As above; what about yourself? Are there any mature mathematics students (i.e. 21+) studying Maths in your year group? Any that *aren't* at mature colleges?
Original post by ddhurst
As above; what about yourself? Are there any mature mathematics students (i.e. 21+) studying Maths in your year group? Any that *aren't* at mature colleges?

One guy in my year at Pembroke was either 20 or 21 at point of entry but I don't know of anyone higher.
Original post by DJMayes
One guy in my year at Pembroke was either 20 or 21 at point of entry but I don't know of anyone higher.

Can you foresee there being any prejudices against older students?

I know that time out is discouraged for mathematics applicants because they want your A-Level and STEP skills to be fresh... but if you were to demonstrate that you were on top of it all (e.g. through acquiring SSS in STEP), would you be just as valid an applicant as a 17/18 year old?

I'll be 24 and applying to Trinity, by the way.
I'm going to contact Trinity college in regards to their admissions policy when it comes to mature students. Do you recommend I should e-mail the actual teaching staff that would be conducting the interviews? i.e. these people:

Or do you think I should just send an e-mail the general admissions office at Trinity College? i.e. these people:

Original post by ddhurst
I'm going to contact Trinity college in regards to their admissions policy when it comes to mature students. Do you recommend I should e-mail the actual teaching staff that would be conducting the interviews? i.e. these people:

Or do you think I should just send an e-mail the general admissions office at Trinity College? i.e. these people:

It's always best to start with the Admissions Office!
Original post by ddhurst

Who is the director of studies? I'd email him. Doesn't the director usually have final say on who gets admitted?
Original post by ddhurst
Are there any mature mathematics students (i.e. 21+) studying Maths in your year group? Any that *aren't* at mature colleges?

I was 21 on entry, not at a mature college.
Original post by Lord of the Flies
I was 21 on entry, not at a mature college.

Was the issue even brought up at all during the interview?

Or were you treated exactly the same as a school leaver would be?

Also, are you the oldest in your year group?
I'm assuming there are some people on this thread that are planning on perhaps studying physics after their 1st/2nd year.

I'm not sure how the Cambridge system works in letting you study for a Physics degree. Correct me if I'm wrong, you have to study either opt 1: nat science or opt2: maths for your 1st/2nd year and final year in the subject you want to specialse in i.e Physics.
Reply 4433
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I'm assuming there are some people on this thread that are planning on perhaps studying physics after their 1st/2nd year.

I'm not sure how the Cambridge system works in letting you study for a Physics degree. Correct me if I'm wrong, you have to study either opt 1: nat science or opt2: maths for your 1st/2nd year and final year in the subject you want to specialse in i.e Physics.

You can do Maths with Physics for 1A too.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

They're quite lenient about letting you switch disciplines: if you complete Parts IA and IB Maths, and you're doing well at them, they may well let you switch to Part II Natsci. (That's kind of your "option 2" but where you don't necessarily intend switching in advance.) I'm a mathmo so I'm not particularly familiar with the natsci procedures, I should warn you.
Original post by Blutooth
Who is the director of studies? I'd email him. Doesn't the director usually have final say on who gets admitted?

Think it is but formal decisions go through admissions tutor - it is best to contact the admissions office in the first instance, as the Lucy Cavendish rep suggests.
Original post by shamika
Think it is but formal decisions go through admissions tutor - it is best to contact the admissions office in the first instance, as the Lucy Cavendish rep suggests.

Yh i seen this on the christs one, addmission tutor has final say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ddhurst
Was the issue even brought up at all during the interview?

Or were you treated exactly the same as a school leaver would be?

Also, are you the oldest in your year group?

No, yes, and I don't know.
Original post by ddhurst
Out of curiosity, if a student were to apply to a Cambridge college having already sat STEP and achieved SSS, would their prior academic record be rendered irrelevant?

Can you foresee a circumstance in which any applicant who had SSS in STEP would be rejected?

Also, is age largely irrelevant for maths applicants as well? For example, would a 24 year old be able to get into any college (not just mature ones) to study maths if he demonstrated that he had the ability?

The oldest student to enter undergrad that I know of was someone at Queens quite a few years back (I -think- it was 2011 entry and he was 22 at the time). But he had really quite odd circumstances, where he'd started a medicine degree at Bristol, dropped it in favour of trying to go professional in Tennis, and then decided he wanted to study maths. So all his prior academic records had been pretty good, and I think he just said that he needed a bit of time to work out what he wanted.

Obviously I don't know many of the admissions tutors at Cambridge but I'd hesitate a guess that at least some of them would be interested in an SSS applicant even if they are 24. I've heard about much older applicants being rejected on grounds of age, but personally I wouldn't say 24 is that much older than 18. I think, like blutooth said, it would only be colleges who already have a number of excellent applicants who could potentially be more picky about such things.
For Part IA Differential Equations, in the schedules under Higher-order linear differential equations it has "reduction of order".

What does that refer to, as ive not got that mentioned anywhere in my notes and i certainly dont recall it

Latest

Trending

Trending