The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Zhen Lin
Hmm, I am inclined to disagree, especially if you are talking about the set of people who do eventually receive a STEP offer. For one thing, AEA assumes only knowledge of C1-C4, which most mathematicians-to-be would have completed in lower 6th or earlier, no?
Certainly not the case in my day. Possibly more so now.

Furthermore only 70% is needed to get a distinction - and overall I thought the paper was quite doable. I even finished my real one (June 2007) with about 15-20 minutes to spare, after panicking a bit over a question. (I believe it involved geometry - blah.)
But you have done well at interview, and to be honest, I'd be very surprised if you don't get SS in STEP at the end of this year, so you're not actually a counterexample to what I'm saying.

I also agree that it's not quite the same style as STEP, but essentially the same skills are required, no? Perseverance, not panicking, and being able to take hints.
I think having to answer every question makes a big difference. In contrast, there's a lot of choice in STEP: you can get full marks without attempting a single pure question, after all.
Reply 81
DFranklin
Certainly not the case in my day. Possibly more so now.

But you have done well at interview, and to be honest, I'd be very surprised if you don't get SS in STEP at the end of this year, so you're not actually a counterexample to what I'm saying.

I think having to answer every question makes a big difference. In contrast, there's a lot of choice in STEP: you can get full marks without attempting a single pure question, after all.

I agree with DFranklin here, I found AEA more challenging than STEP I when I took both, I managed a merit in AEA and a 1 in STEP, due to answering 2 mechanics questions on STEP and 2 pure, whereas a panicked and messed up questions on the AEA.
I have covered C1, C2, C3, S1, S2, M1...Do you think I would be able to do any of the STEP questions atm?
theultimate
I have covered C1, C2, C3, S1, S2, M1...Do you think I would be able to do any of the STEP questions atm?

Yes - a fair few will require some C4 knowledge, but others will certainly be approachable for you.
Reply 84
What are my chances of studying Maths at Cambridge without A Level Physics but with A Level Maths and F. Maths?
i think youd be ok providing they were both to full A2. Youd need a science for the tripos thing, unless you opted to do something like Maths + Computer science
Reply 86
You need a science subject to A2 or would I be alright with just AS?:confused:
Reply 87
I shouldn't think that it would affect your chances at all. For me, doing just mechanics 1 and 2 has been far more fruitful than A-level physics anyway.
rapha
You need a science subject to A2 or would I be alright with just AS?:confused:

It depends, would you want to do a science along side it? You could always pick computer science or geology or something.. not sure how it works with maths
Reply 89
trance addict
It depends, would you want to do a science along side it? You could always pick computer science or geology or something.. not sure how it works with maths

what!? do you have ANY idea how the cambridge tripos system works??
Reply 90
If I do have to pick a subject to study alongside maths it would probably be computer science so i think I should be fine.
But I might do Physics AS in my second year if I decide to drop any of my subjects (not Maths or F. Maths) just in case. :wink:
Reply 91
evans123
I shouldn't think that it would affect your chances at all. For me, doing just mechanics 1 and 2 has been far more fruitful than A-level physics anyway.

Do you do physics?
Reply 92
rapha
Do you do physics?

read his signature.
Chewwy

only for computer science

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/requirements.html
m1 is basically physics module 1 plus more. M2,M3 are so far more advanced than any mechanics you do in physics. I dont think it would be a problem at all.
Reply 95
Chewwy
read his signature.

I mean as in A Level physics.
Reply 96
uhh yes i do.
Reply 97

Which the OP wasn't asking about???

I don't think a Physics to A-level is essential for Maths, though a lot of the colleges say it's useful for you to do it - but you won't need to be part of the NatSci tripos or anything - see this page.

(but correct me if I'm wrong everyone)
Reply 98
Basically the minimum requirement is A-Level Maths and AS Further Maths; but they wouldn't be impressed if you didn't take A-Level Further Maths if your school provided it.

Regarding the science; most colleges say that Physics is very useful; but I know plenty of people here without it.
Chewwy

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure what that comment was even getting at, but it certainly has nothing to do with taking a maths degree.

Anyway, most mathematicians do take A level physics, but it's not necessary. As far as A levels go it's a strong one to support your application and after maths it's the one which is closest to most of the maths you'll do, but as far as it actually helping you with the course material is concerned, any benefit a student with A level physics gains over one without is negligible.

Of course this is slightly different if you apply for Maths with Physics, and it would be odd to apply for this with a physics A level, but then that's fairly similar to straight maths course and the skills used will be those more tied to pre-degree maths than pre-degree physics anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending