The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cambridge medic eh? that's a tough one, a bit of worry could work as motivation, but just make sure you get down to it and do what you can, GCSEs aren't everything, but you want to do well so there's no doubt in your mind, there's your AS levels, which you'll need straight As for and high UMSs because Cambridge get access to those, and for medics, there's the BMAT...the interview...well, that's even further away, take it easy man.
Reply 2
Ordinarily, i would give a sarcastic response to this sort of question, but you're only young, so i shall let you live. :cool:

They will still look at your application. They will also be aware that you sat the examinations a year early and that can only help your cause. All A*s aren't essential, but it will help, so i would concentrate on doing as well as you possibly can in your exams this year. Also, remember that GCSEs are only one of many factors they use when considering applications (A Level UMS marks, pre-interview test, interview performance, personal statement and reference being the others). Just stop worrying, knuckle down, and do you best. :smile:
Reply 3
Yes of course! Loads of people get in with As! A is good!

Check out the 2008 decisions thread if you're worried, and see what others got in with.

EDIT: Found someone on there (won't quote their name or anything) but they are a 2008 medic and got (amongst other grades) 4As. You'll be fine, so long as you work hard. And, like everybody else has said, it doesn't only depend on your GCSE grades.
Reply 4
What? Would they look at your app now, in year 11, with just 2As? I'm confused...
Reply 5
Harun
Hi! I really want to get into Cambridge and do medicine but I am worried about my grades. Yes I know what is expected BUT in year 10 I did GCSE ICT and Maths Stats and got 2 As - would they even look at my application?
~Harun

Well firstly they will have to look at your application... in order to know whether to reject or accept you. Thats fairly obvious

Secondly, and fairly obviously, most students don't have straight A*s. So not only would they definietely look at your application, if you do well this year, next year and on the BMAT the year after you will almost certaintly make it to interview.

Stop worrying about whats been done, and make sure you do as well as possible this year. And don't obsess over Cambridge. This will sound mean and horrible but the odds are you won't get in. Not beucase of your results but because most people don't get in. Medicine in particular is competitive. You need work experience etc as well. And you will also need to remember that Cambridge (and Oxford) medicine is often perceived as different to other universities on the basis of a lot less time spent with patients in the early years etc. Whether it will be what you want in 3 years time is by no means certain
Reply 6
he's just worried about the future...
Reply 7
ssk2
What? Would they look at your app now, in year 11, with just 2As? I'm confused..

I *think* the original poster is worried that the As will not be good enough (i.e. they're not A*s). Those As would be on the application, along with the A*s I assume he is aiming for this year. So no, they don't look at your application that early -- it's at the beginning of yr 13 that that all happens!

To the OP: if I've interpreted correctly, that you're worried that the As aren't good enough, don't worry! Get as many A*s as you can, of course, but it's not like they'll look at a couple of As and decide you're rubbish! Medicine is one of the most competitive (possibly even the most competitive) courses when it comes to grades, so get everything as high as you reasonably can -- it will only be an advantage. but no worrying about those As! :smile:
Get a %%%%%%%%ing load of A*s this year to make up for it (although you don't really have much to make up for...) :smile: Also, aren't maths and statistics separate subjects, so you'd have 3 GCSEs?
Reply 9
they're seperate, i did Stats last year and will do Maths this year ^^

--------
I was just worried because medicine in particular is really competitive ->
well thanks for all your replies guys! Feeling more optimistic at the moment, so thanks a lot guys! I will go look at that thread aeiou81, thanks everyone! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Harun
Hi! I really want to get into Cambridge and do medicine but I am worried about my grades. Yes I know what is expected BUT in year 10 I did GCSE ICT and Maths Stats and got 2 As - would they even look at my application?
~Harun

you dont even have the whole set of gcses. dont worry, do your best this year and get as many A* as possible and you will be fine.besides, there are other things that count like gd ps, reference, a-level grades/predictions, BMAT, interview etc... gcse grades are only part of the whole picture they consider.

besides, if you have time to post things on TSR, Id much rather use that time to get some work done!!!!
Reply 11
Thanks for for all your help guys~
Reply 12
Good grief, they get younger all the time. :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Lmao
ok, i wanna give you a peice of advice
i started worrying about going to cambridge a little later then you did but now very much more (i didnt get in btw)
i had pretty crappy grades, but i was told by all the nice (normal) dons that i met that gcse grade where not the most important thing
i know your going for medicine and its gonna be really competitive
heres the advice: DO NOT OBSESS ABOUT GOING TO CAMBRIDGE! i did, i did tons of extra things and made myself really ill from working to hard.:frown:
dont start worrying now, if you did the exmas early AND got As you are a genius, so u`ll b ok.:p:
seriously, concetrate on getting good gcses for thier own sake not for cambridge. dont start worrying until your ASs (then u can!)
Reply 15
Good luck. 2 A's and 9 A*'s would do be great... all you need now is 9 A*s.
Reply 16
well the 2 As you have now will be fine, but like the above poster said get your 9 A*s :biggrin: , dont worry if you dont, but just bear in mind for medicine the greater majority of offers will go to people with a large string of A*s
Reply 17
thanks guys^^ i will try not to worry -- you guys are great!
Hopefully I will get something on the lines of that! lol!
I have to say this please don't obsess about going to cambridge and make it the be-all and end-all there are other wonderful unis around. The admissions process really is a lottery and many excellent candidates can't be offered a place each year despite their intelligence etc. :smile:
Reply 19
i'll try not to - i am quite worried about obsessing about CaMBridge and then getting rejected, so i think it would be healthy for me to not stress about Cambridgem lol
thank you for all your help guys~

Latest

Trending

Trending