The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Scroll to see replies

oh i didn't think about that really lol, less hassle.
what is york like for eating out?
University of York
York
there are some really nice restaurants in York and they cater for lots of different tastes - Mexican, Portugese, Asian, Indian, Italian, some others I haven't gone to and can't remember...
York, being a tourist destination, has enough restaurants to last you all year! Not all of them are particularly good, but there are a fair few around, although you do have to do some hunting with some of them - as somebody else said, it seems small, but is actually really quite big, and can be a pain trying to get from Micklegate to Minster area (the distance always suprises me - I guess because I'm normally drunk when I walk it, so when I do it sober, it's confusing!)

Only thing with York is that it's a cute little city, but doesn't have a fantastic night life or such. I mean, you've got the pubs & bars, but there are really only three night-clubs (two official ones), which means that it's a little same-y after a while. Also, the uni doesn't have one specific 'SU-bar', it has one in each college, which means that none of them tend to be very busy (apart from, perhaps, Alcuin and McQs).

Re: Shopping - Tesco Online FTW. Supermarkets nearby, but not easily accessible.
And public transport - I got a single from Oxford to York for £7.90, and First Class single from York to Oxford for £19, so I'm really not complaining about the price of public transport!
Reply 23
I got a single from Oxford to York for £7.90

Damn you, I've had to pay £13 to get up to York this weekend :frown:
Simulatio
And public transport - I got a single from Oxford to York for £7.90, and First Class single from York to Oxford for £19, so I'm really not complaining about the price of public transport!

:eek: How? It costs me £16 return, and that's to Huddersfield (like, an hour down the road)...
If it makes you feel any better, I've had to pay £46 for a return before?
slugonamission
:eek: How? It costs me £16 return, and that's to Huddersfield (like, an hour down the road)...

I have no idea... booked about three weeks in advance, with a student railcard!
laser

And, spamming this thread, whereabouts in Oxford are you from? I've met quite a few people from Oxford at York Uni! It's quite strange. & I'm in Halifax college, also.
Reply 28
Dez
All accommodation in York is self-catering, so you can't really avoid it here. There's a Costcutter on campus (which, despite its name, is very expensive), and a fair few other supermarkets within travelling distance. The only one you really need a car for is Tesco's, which is two bus journeys away otherwise. You might find yourself opting for online shopping in halls anyway, I know a fair number of my housemates last year did.

Yes costcutter is expensive. I prefer the Your shop further down, does good sandwich deals for your dinner. Alot of my friends get their shopping delivered, thats a pretty good idea. There's an Aldi (Or Lidl, cant remember) and Iceland not too far from the uni but it's a bit of a walk. Im not too sure otherwise. There's a Co-op in Fulford as well.
Reply 29
Theres a somerfield that's about 10 minutes walk from the new Vanbrugh buildings :smile:
Reply 30
laser

It costs me £9 from leeds to york!!

The nightclubs are ok. If you prefer moving around then there arent loads you can get round but if you;re someone like me, who doesnt mind staying in one good nightclub for the night then its fine.
Reply 31
Book well in advance! Last time I went up I didn't book in advance and ended up paying about £46.

jenren22: I'm currently living in Headington - I'm doing a placement year in Abingdon (I'm a third year York student)
you can get to Monks Cross which has an Asda from campus, but that bus only runs every hour (or at least it did when i caught it)
Simulatio
If it makes you feel any better, I've had to pay £46 for a return before?

Ok, fair enough lol. Dunno how much mine would be in advance...
Reply 34
Somerfield is only like a 10 minute walk from campus (well, depending on which side of campus you're on), I think?
Reply 35
is the somerfield easy to find for someone new to the area (ie, not too many twists and turns!). i've also heard a morrison's is nearby... any idea on how to get there? i know aldi/iceland is easy to get to, but it's a bit of a walk
Reply 36
Somerfield is dead easy. Down University Road to the Shell garage and then right right down Hull Road and it's not far down there. Probably easier and closer than the Aldi/Iceland! The new Morrisons is a bit more of a trek (it's down Lawrence Street to town and then round the ring road to Foss Islands Road)
It cost me £19 return for the open day, which I suppose isn't too bad. It was well worth it!
I'm going to a specific subject visit day in a few months, so that'll cost another £19 :rolleyes:
Reply 38
What its like?
-Is the Uni at a good location (good access to a variety of shops, pubs, clubs)?
You have to get a bus into town, or you can take a 25 min walk or so - not too taxing, but the prices have just gone up so the bus maybe isn't the cheapest option if on a budget. As people have said, there's a costcutter on campus but it's expensive, there are other supermarkets but can be annoying to get to, people have often brought cabs back full of shopping, but if there's a few of you it won't cost you loads.

-How is the workload?
If you're doing an arts subject, you won't have much at all - history for example only has 6-8 hours a week, but there's a lot of reading I hear. With music there's loads of contact hours, but less regular work. Sciency subjects have quite a bit more, and plenty more early mornings - and if you're doing medicine, you're basically screwed.

-How is the nightlife?
If you're more into clubs, York isn't really your place - there's 3 clubs, only 2 of them being decent, but personally that's fine. There are plenty of bars to keep you occupied, with a much nicer atmosphere - student nights tend to be tues, thurs, sun - go out on a friday or saturday you'll have all the rowdy northern locals around, so people tend to just stay in/go down the charles or just do something else!
... are you not a fan of Ziggys, then? :smile: x

Latest

Trending

Trending