The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unregistered
I was wondering, is there a limit on the no. of words you can have it?

I assume you're talking about the personal statement on the UCAS form. There is no actual word limit (there might be if you apply online though), but there is a limit to the amount of space you can use - you get approx 2/3 of a page which translates to something like 400-450 words.
Reply 2
shite dude ive gone to nearly two pages!
Reply 3
mustang3k
shite dude ive gone to nearly two pages!

You can only use the space on the personal statement form, how did you do two pages?
Reply 4
I managed to fit approx. 630 words in the electronic application version (Times New Roman, size 12). It's shorter now though because I don't see admission tutors wanting to read too much of the same type of thing.
Reply 5
Yeah i know, im doing it in word first, its not my final one yet, i should cut stuff out. Im also doing the EAS (electronic thing), can u fit more on there then?
also i have talked about my a-levels and y i chose them blah blah.. is this good? its ganna be so hard to cut out stuff man!
Reply 6
mustang3k
also i have talked about my a-levels and y i chose them blah blah.. is this good?

I talked about my A Levels and stuff in mine and it didn't do any harm.
Reply 7
can i send u my PS so far? would u b able to read it and offer advice?

What uni u at?
Reply 8
mustang3k
Yeah i know, im doing it in word first, its not my final one yet, i should cut stuff out. Im also doing the EAS (electronic thing), can u fit more on there then?
also i have talked about my a-levels and y i chose them blah blah.. is this good? its ganna be so hard to cut out stuff man!

You can definitely fit more words in the electronic version (compared to writing it or photocopying it onto the form). I found it really hard to cut stuff out, I only managed a couple of lines so it still uses quite a lot of space!

Talking about your a-levels and the skills they have given you/relevance to your course is always a good thing to talk about.

What subject are you applying for?
Reply 9
mustang3k

What uni u at?

Would be happy to look at it for you. I start at Birmingham on the 29th of September :smile:.
Reply 10
mustang3k

What uni u at?

Im writing mine at the moment as well (around 500 words but I have MUCH more to put in), I too have talked about my reason from picking my A-Levels and how I think they will help me be successful at degree level.

What course are you applying to study and at what kinds of Uni's???
What were your AS grades???

Sorry for the questions but Im interested how other people are doing thier applictions (nobody I know seems to care)!!!
Reply 11
ok im PMing my PS to yu now, thanks man.

Lucy - im applying for medicine, at bristol, sheffield, leicester, and maybe southampton. how about u?
Reply 12
Nylex
Would be happy to look at it for you. I start at Birmingham on the 29th of September :smile:.

For what subject?
Reply 13
mustang3k
ok im PMing my PS to yu now, thanks man.

Lucy - im applying for medicine, at bristol, sheffield, leicester, and maybe southampton. how about u?

I'm applying for medicine too :tongue: I'm applying at Oxford, UCL, Imperial & King's College.
Reply 14
y0 nylex, its too long to put on PM, so ill do ur e-mail address...what is it?
Reply 15
There are some personal statements on loftx's site, if you scroll to his post up there ^^^ he has a link in his signature.
Reply 16
mustang3k
y0 nylex, its too long to put on PM, so ill do ur e-mail address...what is it?

[email protected] :smile:.
Reply 17
Lucy
For what subject?

Originally I applied for Computer Science, but I've changed my mind and am gonna do Physics and Astrophysics instead.
Reply 18
Why would you write about why you chose your A levels? I wouldn't, and didn't - cut that out, if anything.

Ben
Reply 19
It dosn't sound very good if you say, 'I was sure about three of my AS's, and needed one more, so I chose Business Studies because they have a Year 12 trip to Los Angeles and I've always wanted to go shopping in LA.'

Latest

Trending

Trending