The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ben.S.
Why would you write about why you chose your A levels? I wouldn't, and didn't - cut that out, if anything.

Ben

Quite a few people write about their A levels, I personally didn't, but I think it isn't a bad thing to write about. Why shouldn't they write about it if it has relevance to their course or if they gained certain skills by doing particular subjects?
Reply 21
well this is what i wrote, it needs a bit of changing and reducing as it takes up too much space and is not one of the important...

The subjects I am studying at A-Level have helped me develop many skills I feel would be important to medicine. Chemistry and Biology aid my understanding of the human body and how chemicals control biological processes. My knowledge of Chemistry has helped me to understand how the chemical structure of drugs enables them to carry out their function in the human body. I chose AS-Level Mathematics as I enjoy maths and applying it to everyday problems. This course has given me knowledge in statistics, which will be required in the medical field. Psychology is a subject that fascinates me, thus I have chosen to study this subject at A-Level. I have always been interested in human behaviour and in the way people act and think as they do. This subject has also taught me about ethics. I believe all this is an advantage when dealing with patients.
Reply 22
Lucy
Quite a few people write about their A levels, I personally didn't, but I think it isn't a bad thing to write about. Why shouldn't they write about it if it has relevance to their course or if they gained certain skills by doing particular subjects?

If you're doing something like law, there aren't any directly relevant subjects, so you should try to concentrate on why you want to read law.

If you want to go to medical school, the entry requirements are so strict that you can't really say much other than 'I did Biology, Chemistry and Maths because I had to.'
Reply 23
Lucy

Writing about why you chose certain subjects for A-level is what I'm talking about - saying what you particularly enjoyed about them or gained from them, like you say, is perfectly acceptable.

Ben
Reply 24
No, you can still talk about the things you enjoy about those subjects, especially if you'll be doing similar things at uni.
Reply 25
Nylex
No, you can still talk about the things you enjoy about those subjects, especially if you'll be doing similar things at uni.

True for the medicine side, though I think with law, unless your subjects are really strange, you need to convince them why you want to do law, rather than try to explain the relevance of your subjects.
Reply 26
mustang3k
well this is what i wrote, it needs a bit of changing and reducing as it takes up too much space and is not one of the important...

As you are studying medicine, and need to include certain points (e.g. voluntary work, work experience etc.) and you are already way over the word limit, you don't need to say any of that unless you haven't said why you want to study medicine.
Reply 27
Really? Okay ill consider it, thanks...Nylex have u finished reading my PS lol
Reply 28
mustang3k
Really? Okay ill consider it, thanks...Nylex have u finished reading my PS lol

Yeah, I read it a few times.. read your mail :smile:.
Reply 29
Unregistered
I was wondering, is there a limit on the no. of words you can have it?

It definitely depends if you are doing your application online in the electronic format because you do get more space or writing it on the application form, sorry cant be more specific!

Is anyone writing their personal statement to study psychology at uni at the moment? I am but dont know anyone who is applying to do psychology.
Reply 30
Lord Huntroyde
There are some personal statements on loftx's site, if you scroll to his post up there ^^^ he has a link in his signature.

Cheers Lord Huntroyde - must have missed this thread for most of yesterday. If anyone else who has already applied want to contribute their personal statement that would be really good - please PM me about it.

Tom

Latest

Trending

Trending