The Student Room Group

PM refuses to revoke Trump state visit despite far right retweets

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42172032
"later a Downing Street spokesman said: "British people overwhelmingly reject the prejudiced rhetoric of the far right which is the antithesis of the values that this country represents - decency tolerance and respect." He added: "It is wrong for the president to have done this." Downing Street also made clear that the invitation to the US president to make a state visit to the UK still stood."

So essentially what the PM wants to say is "Oh, that's a bit rude, but I don't really care. I still love you Donald, please give me a trade deal so I can look like I'm making a success of Brexit while I'm flushing Britain's economic future down the toilet through a hard Brexit in order to satisfy my hard-right backbenchers and avoid a leadership challenge with Boris or JRM"
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

As much as I despise Trump, do you expect a government that welcomes the Saudis with open arms to have any morals? If they are our buddies, of course Trump will be too.

His cult of supporters will still try and claim that he's not a bigot and that people who say that he validates the far-right are exaggerating.
Original post by Eunomia
As much as I despise Trump, do you expect a government that welcomes the Saudis with open arms to have any morals? If they are our buddies, of course Trump will be too.

Sadly when someone has a pocket full of cash they might give to you, morals don't really enter the discussion.
do you even know what trump retweeted? objectively what is that was incorrect about the tweets? go on, tell me.
It's hard to believe that we are living in a period when the President, that's right, the PRESIDENT of the United States of America actively urges support for far right extremists and religious hate-mongers.

These are truly dangerous times. He's a revolting, disgusting man, playing cynical neo-Nazi games to bolster support for horrible hate policies at home. He doesn't give a stuff for the consequences and he and his supporters clearly think that the UK is some sort of playground to encourage discord and division in, whilst safely enjoying the consequences from their mansions in Florida.

We need to make it clear as a country that we will have nothing more to do with this evil sod.
Original post by Jimbo Jones
do you even know what trump retweeted? objectively what is that was incorrect about the tweets? go on, tell me.

Here is a thorough analysis of the content of the videos.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/11/29/the-murky-origins-of-the-britain-first-videos-trump-retweeted/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_tweet-830am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.90f011a9f221

In all cases, the far right are distorting the context and meaning of the events depicted.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/11/29/the-murky-origins-of-the-britain-first-videos-trump-retweeted/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_tweet-830am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.90f011a9f221

In all cases, the far right are distorting the context and meaning of the events depicted.

don't link me to the washington post, a very well known leftist newspaper. don't be so daft. what's next, linking you to the daily stormer as a response?
What he did was awful, however unfortunately it does make sense to try to maintain a semblance of a relationship with him. Very unfortunate, but considering the uncertain times we are currently in (E.G; Brexit, we need to keep foreign powers close if we hope for trade agreements) it is in the interest of the country to do so. Bitter as we may be about it.
Reply 8
I was actually pleasantly surprised that they had the spine to condem it - that was by no means certain. Clearly the state visit invitation was massively premature and poor judgement. However we are where we are and I do see the difficulty of rescinding it and I suppose there is the argument that you have to meet people to persuade them of the error of their ways. And if we cancelled it he would probably nuke us.

Good grief.

The Washington Post disgrace itself in that link. Disgraces itself.

It says that the perpetrators of the violence "may or may not be Muslim."

There isn't a sentient being on the planet who sincerely believes that. Not a single one. Even they admit that the throwing off the roof incident was committed be members of the Muslim Brotherhood. (Here's a heads up Wash Po! If you are trying to claim that a group isn't Muslim, that isn't a great name!). The fact that one of the perps was waving a flag that carried the Muslim profession of faith in Arabic was also a bit of a clue.

The guy smashing the virgin mary statue has a "Syrian accent" according to the Post itself. Hmmm, what religion are most Syrians? Would any Christians smash a statue of the mother of Christ? Not very likely is it?

And the guy who beat up the guy in crutches was born in Holland. Well that rules out the Muslim angle then! No Muslims have ever been born there. I have no idea whether or not he eventually turns out to be of Muslim heritage. But to try and pretend he isn't, in the absence of definitive evidence. as the fake news Post tries to do, is the say the least, a hostage to fortune.

Shameful. Shameful.
Here is a fake news analysis of the content of the videos.

In all cases, the far left are distorting the context and meaning of the events depicted.

FIFY
Original post by FarhanHalim
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42172032
"later a Downing Street spokesman said: "British people overwhelmingly reject the prejudiced rhetoric of the far right which is the antithesis of the values that this country represents - decency tolerance and respect." He added: "It is wrong for the president to have done this." Downing Street also made clear that the invitation to the US president to make a state visit to the UK still stood."

So essentially what the PM wants to say is "Oh, that's a bit rude, but I don't really care. I still love you Donald, please give me a trade deal so I can look like I'm making a success of Brexit while I'm flushing Britain's economic future down the toilet through a hard Brexit in order to satisfy my hard-right backbenchers and avoid a leadership challenge with Boris or JRM"

Why should she revoke the state visit?

You are failing to appreciate the difference between Trump the person and Trump as head of state.

Is it worth falling out with the USA about? The state visit has been put on hold anyway.
It's hard to believe that we are living in a period when the President, that's right, the PRESIDENT of the United States of America actively urges support for far right extremists and religious hate-mongers.

These are truly dangerous times. He's a revolting, disgusting man, playing cynical neo-Nazi games to bolster support for horrible hate policies at home. He doesn't give a stuff for the consequences and he and his supporters clearly think that the UK is some sort of playground to encourage discord and division in, whilst safely enjoying the consequences from their mansions in Florida.

We need to make it clear as a country that we will have nothing more to do with this evil sod.

How does retweeting a video constitute ‘actively urging’ support of the far right?
Original post by 999tigger
Why should she revoke the state visit?

You are failing to appreciate the difference between Trump the person and Trump as head of state.

Is it worth falling out with the USA about? The state visit has been put on hold anyway.

To maintain the respectability and import of the office of President, the President needs to behave with at least a minimum of discretion, dignity and intelligence. The current occupant does none of those things. He discredits the office and demeans and humiliates both the United States and its allies. He clearly intends the latter and actually uses attempts to humiliate us as a political weapon.

To my mind, the special relationship is over until he goes.
Original post by 999tigger
The state visit has been put on hold anyway.

This.

Old news
Reply 15
Original post by FarhanHalim
"later a Downing Street spokesman said: "British people overwhelmingly reject the prejudiced rhetoric of the far right which is the antithesis of the values that this country represents - decency tolerance and respect."

No, they don't.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/racial-profiling-british-people-muslims-arabs-support-security-anti-terrorism-attacks-survey-caabu-a7966666.html

Almost 80 per cent of Leave voters, for example, believed the Arabs who migrated to the UK “have failed to integrate in Western societies and live in isolated communities”, but only 45 per cent of Remain voters felt the same, bringing the average down to 63 per cent.
Around two thirds of pro-EU respondents said Britain should welcome more refugees from Syria and Iraq, but 91 per cent of Brexiteers thought the UK should take in fewer people fleeing the conflicts.

Overall, only 28 per cent thought migrants and refugees from the Arab world were beneficial to Britain.

When respondents were asked if they would support racial profiling against Arabs or Muslims for security reasons, 55 per cent agreed and 24 per cent disagreed overall.

To maintain the respectability and import of the office of President, the President needs to behave with at least a minimum of discretion, dignity and intelligence. The current occupant does none of those things. He discredits the office and demeans and humiliates both the United States and its allies. He clearly intends the latter and actually uses attempts to humiliate us as a political weapon.

To my mind, the special relationship is over until he goes.

Good job we arent relying on your mind, then.

Revoking a state visit would be a ridiculous overreaction and would be a revocation of our relationship with the USA and the American people. Trump is just the office holder and he will be gone after two terms.

The US happens to be our greatest individual trading partner and military ally. Don't be so naive, dim and destructive by wanting to destroy that and then hundreds of thousands of jobs that go with it.

Formally insulting the US would be such a stupid move. It is de facto on hold anyway, since Trumps ego realised there would be protests.
This is a good mirror of the no-platforming policy of the left thats currently plaguing our universities..

If you don't agree with something... ban it. don't interact with it at all... ban it.

Its an immature and irresponsible viewpoint peddled by those who have never learnt to grow some balls or backbone.

If you disagree with trump, as I do a lot.. you should WANT him to come to the UK.

Why? Because you can put on the largest protest that you can think off.. you can draw the worlds press to the country and make a statement.. you can have speeches and talks and rallies, you can debate and decry all of what he stands for, and you can do it TO HIS FACE

But no... instead you would rather just ban him from coming.

Its pathetic un-confrontational weakness.

Do the same when a university speaker comes to your university.. instead of no-platforming them, demand that their talk becomes a debate instead, and try your best to show them up, and show how flawed their opinions are. Dont just ban them. Grow some balls.
A helpful reminder today from the Guardian of the many sexual assaults Trump has been accused of.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2017/nov/30/donald-trump-sexual-misconduct-allegations-full-list

This is the man we are supposed to be listening to when he tweets. He should be in jail, where use of cellphones is not permitted.
Yes, you know what, I think the President sharing a couple of videos from some random British lady on twitter should be the last straw in terms of UK-US diplomatic relations.

Hey everyone, Trump did a politically incorrect tweet -- must be time for us to abandon our entire foreign policy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending