The Student Room Group

PM refuses to revoke Trump state visit despite far right retweets

Scroll to see replies

Banning someone from visiting the UK just over a tweet would be considered very stupid, this country should be focusing more on the people who are actually a threat, like those people on the terror watch list.
Reply 41
Original post by Wōden
Why is it 'abhorrent' to point out the actual abhorrent things Muslims (no, obviously not all of them) are doing across the world?

His views may or may not be abhorrent, but it certainly makes you question why he's retweeting them? Surely one can't possibly think it's normal for the President of such a country to be drawing attention to such things in such a way.
Of all issues facing the country and its population, surely those darn Muslims aren't a particularly big one that need their own exclusive time in the spotlight because obviously they are the biggest reason for crime!! No I'm not trying to cover up awful acts by Muslims, because they certainly are unacceptable and need resolving, but it did make me question why, of all the different sorts of crimes being committed all over the world, those few were the ones he felt needed particular exposure.
And if he does want to address this, how could such an informal tweet be effective in any way? The only impact I can foresee it having is simply fuelling the hatred and discrimination already very much present in the world, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was his true aim
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Maybe try looking at the actual critiques? It isn't just the Post anyway. How can you defend the Donald pointing to Britain First tweets which make clearly false claims about the videos? Claims challenged by, amongst others, the Dutch police and government. Perhaps the Dutch authorities are all part of the 'hate boner for Trump'?? Eh?

Sure, it isn't just the Post. Every newspaper and news channel jumps on the bandwagon for hating Trump (Fake news ABC and NYT).

Wasn't only one video false? As for the others, Trump is highlighting the problem of violent Islamists and he has certainly got what he wanted because he got people talking about it.

Are you defending what these violent Islamists are doing? What else could I expect from a liberal? Can't say I'm surprised.
They are criticisms of made up examples of Islamic extremism.

Do you not think the President of the biggest power on earth ought to be at least a little teensy bit interested in actual truth and facts?

How are they made up examples? If that is not Islamic extremism then what is?

Have you not seen the Islamic extremists that chanted ''British soldiers burn in hell''. The ones that burned the poppy on Remembrance Day. The ones that want to see the whole world under Islamic rule. The ones that have said that they want to capture the White House, have the Queen be forced to wear a hijab.

I'm not sure about you but I'll never want to live in a world like that.
They are not "just a few retweets". They are the President of the United States of America recommending and putting forward extremist far-right fascist groups. We are through the looking glass if you think that doesn't matter.

What we can be certain of is that if he does come here, there is going to be major, major opposition to the visit. Unlike some of the posters on here, a very large number of us don't think he's a lovable misunderstood bumbler accidentally retweeting nasty remarks that he doesn't really mean - we know perfectly well (as I assume you do) that he's a neo-fascist thug of the worst sort.

I understand your frustration. But, I also believe in behaving like mature adults, and not like immature children, which is what some of the people on the left are.

They want to ban Trump, just because they don't like him. I think as grownups we should condemn people, but also try to educate them on the errors of their ways, and not just outright ban them because they said something offensive. It's also important to retain our ties with the US, and not isolate ourselves from such a powerful country.
It's hard to believe that we are living in a period when the President, that's right, the PRESIDENT of the United States of America actively urges support for far right extremists and religious hate-mongers.

These are truly dangerous times. He's a revolting, disgusting man, playing cynical neo-Nazi games to bolster support for horrible hate policies at home. He doesn't give a stuff for the consequences and he and his supporters clearly think that the UK is some sort of playground to encourage discord and division in, whilst safely enjoying the consequences from their mansions in Florida.

We need to make it clear as a country that we will have nothing more to do with this evil sod.

Just as we have nothing to do with the leaders of China, Saudi Arabia, Russia, etc. when considering the things that they have done?

If we had nothing to do with "evil sods" then we would have barely any trade or diplomacy. It's right to call Trump out on things like this (it absolutely brings the office of President into disrepute), as we have done with the leaders of China and Russia on things, but to suggest we should sever all links with him lacks perspective in my opinion.
(edited 6 years ago)
It's hard to believe that we are living in a period when the President, that's right, the PRESIDENT of the United States of America actively urges support for far right extremists and religious hate-mongers.

These are truly dangerous times. He's a revolting, disgusting man, playing cynical neo-Nazi games to bolster support for horrible hate policies at home. He doesn't give a stuff for the consequences and he and his supporters clearly think that the UK is some sort of playground to encourage discord and division in, whilst safely enjoying the consequences from their mansions in Florida.

We need to make it clear as a country that we will have nothing more to do with this evil sod.

The only hate group in europe that is affecting us badly is the Hate group known as islam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending