The Student Room Group

Google AlphaZero AI beats champion chess program after teaching itself in four hours

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/dec/07/alphazero-google-deepmind-ai-beats-champion-program-teaching-itself-to-play-four-hours

AlphaZero, the game-playing AI created by Google sibling DeepMind, has beaten the world’s best chess-playing computer program, having taught itself how to play in under four hours.

Stockfish and other traditional engines have played hundreds of millions of games and have an extensive list of opening theory table bases and end game table bases to help them pick the optimal opening and generally they're incredibly strong. There isn't a chance a grandmaster could beat Stockfish, it's just too strong.

And what's remarkable about this is DeepMind doesn't use any table bases or anything instead it was just given the rules of chess and left to "self learn" how to win.

Four hours later and it's dominates the world's most powerful chess engine, stockfish with 28 wins 0 losses.

Who's watched person of interest? This reminds me of the scene where Harold teaches The Machine how to play chess :biggrin: This is pretty scary to see become a reality.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/dec/07/alphazero-google-deepmind-ai-beats-champion-program-teaching-itself-to-play-four-hours

AlphaZero, the game-playing AI created by Google sibling DeepMind, has beaten the world’s best chess-playing computer program, having taught itself how to play in under four hours.

Stockfish and other traditional engines have played hundreds of millions of games and have an extensive list of opening theory table bases and end game table bases to help them pick the optimal opening and generally they're incredibly strong. There isn't a chance a grandmaster could beat Stockfish, it's just too strong.

And what's remarkable about this is DeepMind doesn't use any table bases or anything instead it was just given the rules of chess and left to "self learn" how to win.

Four hours later and it's dominates the world's most powerful chess engine, stockfish with 28 wins 0 losses.

Who's watched person of interest? This reminds me of the scene where Harold teaches The Machine how to play chess :biggrin: This is pretty scary to see become a reality.

Robots taking over the world is a possibility :lol:
Original post by UWS
Robots taking over the world is a possibility :lol:

It's AI man it's scary stuff. AlphaZero can basically learn almost anything through trial and error self learning. I think it was Elon Musk who said it was dangerous to allow AI to self teach because they could teach themselves to deceive humans at some point.

Robots and AI would be so awesome but we'll probably end up with a full blown skynet situation on our hands :lol:
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
It's AI man it's scary stuff. AlphaZero can basically learn almost anything through trial and error self learning. I think it was Elon Musk who said it was dangerous to allow AI to self teach because they could teach themselves to deceive humans at some point.

Robots and AI would be so awesome but we'll probably end up with a full blown skynet situation on our hands :lol:

I remember seeing a Boyinaband video on this sort of thing at some point, and basically the conclusion was if you get an intelligent AI and tell it that it has to do one thing as efficiently as possible, it will eventually just gas all the humans 'cause they're in the way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending