The Student Room Group

Disappointed with a "good" mark

I'm in Year 10 and we just got our Maths test results back, and I got 79/82, which was a Level 7, but I still feel quite disappointed with this as I mean, I really want to get a Level 9 in Maths at GCSE, and everyone else was telling me how good this mark was(2 People did better), but still, in order to get a Level 9 you need to always be aiming for 100%, and 79/82, it isn't really good enough. The marks I lost where from misreading what a question was asking me for, and for forgetting the the Negative Reciprocal is only for perpendicular graph lines, not normal reciprocal, so I basically read questions wrong, but what can I do to stop this from happening because I've revised Past papers for Yr10 and Yr11 Maths, but I still made this mistake, so what should I do from here?

Scroll to see replies

in order to get a Level 9 you need to always be aiming for 100%

This just isn't true.

Last year it was around 80%...
Reply 2
That would easily be a 9 on an actual paper.
Reply 3
Original post by _gcx
This just isn't true.

Last year it was around 80%...

I know(One of my friends older brother got a Level 9), but only the top 3% will get a Level 9 now, when the boundaries are more accurate, and to be in the top 3% of the country you should really always be getting around 100%...
Original post by Zoqua
I know(One of my friends older brother got a Level 9), but only the top 3% will get a Level 9 now, when the boundaries are more accurate, and to be in the top 3% of the country you should really always be getting around 100%...

3% isn't that far from the old A* proportion.
Last year you needed around 65/80 to get a 9. You're absolutely fine. 79/82 would easily be a 9 at GCSE, I think your school are trying to be harsh with marking to guarantee good marks.

If an entire cohort finds an exam really challenging, then the boundaries are lower to reflect that.

Well done though! You should be really proud of that.
Reply 6
Original post by Zoqua

No, that isn't the case. Around about 3% of students got a level 9. So no, it will not be more 'accurate'. However, I do expect the grade boundaries to increase next year, but I don't expect the grade 9 boundary to be higher than 90% of the total score.

Whilst it is great to aim for 100%, you to score that high in tests in order to get that grade 9.
Are you serious? Please be joking.
as long as you continue having a good worth ethic you'll be fine.
Reply 9
Original post by Adidas02

I don't understand what this comment means, or why I should be "joking"
Original post by Zoqua
I'm in Year 10 and we just got our Maths test results back, and I got 79/82, which was a Level 7, but I still feel quite disappointed with this as I mean, I really want to get a Level 9 in Maths at GCSE, and everyone else was telling me how good this mark was(2 People did better), but still, in order to get a Level 9 you need to always be aiming for 100%, and 79/82, it isn't really good enough. The marks I lost where from misreading what a question was asking me for, and for forgetting the the Negative Reciprocal is only for perpendicular graph lines, not normal reciprocal, so I basically read questions wrong, but what can I do to stop this from happening because I've revised Past papers for Yr10 and Yr11 Maths, but I still made this mistake, so what should I do from here?

I can understand why you would be extremely disappointed in yourself for letting people down. Time for some quiet reflection and a cry. It is Christmas holidays now, so plenty of time for extra practice.
Reply 11
Original post by 999tigger
I can understand why you would be extremely disappointed in yourself for letting people down. Time for some quiet reflection and a cry. It is Christmas holidays now, so plenty of time for extra practice.

Christmas although mildly nice because of Present's doesn't mean that you should relax. Reflection is usually useful to, but I don't cry, crying usually achieves nothing and makes you look weak. I agree that holidays are useful for extra practice.
Yeah that is a real terrible mark, how did you do so badly, it's gcse. Must be real disappointed with those distorted grade boundaries.
Original post by Zoqua
Christmas although mildly nice because of Present's doesn't mean that you should relax. Reflection is usually useful to, but I don't cry, crying usually achieves nothing and makes you look weak. I agree that holidays are useful for extra practice.

I thought the whole thread was a big bleat.
Original post by Adidas02

Welcome to TSR, its full of depressing academics
Reply 15
Original post by Zoqua

In year 10, a level 7 is a great mark. Think of where you’re going to be in a year.
Give it time and by this time next year, when your year 11 mocks roll around, you’ll get probably a Level 8/9 and then by your GCSE exam season, you will probably hit that grade 9 mark.

As you’re only in year 10, you got a fantastic mark, don’t compare yourself to others, and keep up with what you’re doing right now because whatever you’re doing, it’s working and you’ll soar.

The only tip to give is slow down when reading the questions so you don’t make the same mistakes again.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by 999tigger
I thought the whole thread was a big bleat.

I was asking if anyone knew how I could fix this problem, and you just told me how to fix it, practice and use the Christmas holidays for extra revision time. Crying is almost always pointless, and shows weakness and usually sensitivity.
Reply 17
Original post by L.M.S
In year 10, a level 7 is a great mark. Think of where you’re going to be in a year.
Give it time and by this time next year, when your year 11 mocks roll around, you’ll get probably a Level 8/9 and then by your GCSE exam season, you will probably hit that grade 9 mark.

As you’re only in year 10, you got a fantastic mark, don’t compare yourself to others, and keep up with what you’re doing right now because whatever you’re doing, it’s working and you’ll soar.

The only tip to give is slow down when reading the questions so you don’t make the same mistakes again.

Thanks, so I should probably just continue revising as normal, and slow down when reading questions, thank you for your help.
Reply 18
There's no point calling people depressing academics just because they have different skills and interests to you, that's just depressing narrow mindedness to be honest.
Original post by Zoqua
I don't understand what this comment means, or why I should be "joking"

You're coming across as exceptionally arrogant and ignorant. There are people who work extremely hard and come out with mediocre grades, and here you are complaining because you dropped 3 marks and "only" got a 7. Your post also comes across as boastful, as if you're showing off about the grade you got. I think you need to rethink your priorities if dropping 3 marks on an exam affects you so much that a thread is required.

Isn't it just.

Quick Reply

Latest