The Student Room Group

Disappointed with a "good" mark

Scroll to see replies

Or people trolling like him, one or the other. Nobody can be that delusional
Reply 21
Original post by Adidas02
You're coming across as exceptionally arrogant and ignorant. There are people who work extremely hard and come out with mediocre grades, and here you are complaining because you dropped 3 marks and "only" got a 7. Your post also comes across as boastful, as if you're showing off about the grade you got. I think you need to rethink your priorities if dropping 3 marks on an exam affects you so much that a thread is required.

Isn't it just.

Firstly, I do not see how I am coming across as arrogant and ignorant as technically in order to be arrogant, one needs to think ones self is better than other's however in order to think that you need to know about the results of the others, therefore meaning that you are not ignorant, therefore contradicting each other.
I don't know why you believe this because I am unsure where exactly there is evidence of this. Secondly, 3 marks can make a large difference in grades wise in an exam, as the top grade on that was a Level 7+, which if I had got 80/82 or more I would have obtained. Maths as one of the my favorite subjects is one of the subjects that I wish to be getting 100% in, and as I am getting 90-100% in a fair amount of subjects which do not mean much to me, I fail to see why I should not be getting 100% in this subject unless I am not doing well enough.

Lots of people are always saying "sort out your priorities" and yet they are usually the people who get less than 50% and a fail grade.
You say that some people work hard and come out with mediocre grades, then they can't be working hard enough, as almost anyone should be able to get good grades with hard enough work, It also depends on what you view as a "good" grade and a "mediocre" grade. Although it is sad, it is to be honest irrelevant to this thread whether some people work hard and achieve mediocre grades.
The reason I started this thread is so I could get useful advice on how to avoid this happening again, and I have received it from some of the very intelligent people on TSR, however this has not been one of those useful comments and you clearly not among those people, so unless you have something more constructive to say stop commenting, as you have said nothing remotely useful.

This is even less useful than your previous comment of 6 words,

Original post by Adidas02
Are you serious? Please be joking.

and that's saying something.
Original post by Zoqua

Well you can be both ignorant and arrogant. You're ignorant as in that test you got 96.3% to 1 d.p. That is the highest grade one can get. So don't be ignorant. You should know that. No grade boundary is above 96%. Let's face it you're probably not achieving 90-100% in most subjects and if you are then you're too arrogant about it.
Original post by Zoqua
Firstly, I do not see how I am coming across as arrogant and ignorant as technically in order to be arrogant, one needs to think ones self is better than other's however in order to think that you need to know about the results of the others, therefore meaning that you are not ignorant, therefore contradicting each other.
I don't know why you believe this because I am unsure where exactly there is evidence of this. Secondly, 3 marks can make a large difference in grades wise in an exam, as the top grade on that was a Level 7+, which if I had got 80/82 or more I would have obtained. Maths as one of the my favorite subjects is one of the subjects that I wish to be getting 100% in, and as I am getting 90-100% in a fair amount of subjects which do not mean much to me, I fail to see why I should not be getting 100% in this subject unless I am not doing well enough.

Lots of people are always saying "sort out your priorities" and yet they are usually the people who get less than 50% and a fail grade.
You say that some people work hard and come out with mediocre grades, then they can't be working hard enough, as almost anyone should be able to get good grades with hard enough work, It also depends on what you view as a "good" grade and a "mediocre" grade. Although it is sad, it is to be honest irrelevant to this thread whether some people work hard and achieve mediocre grades.
The reason I started this thread is so I could get useful advice on how to avoid this happening again, and I have received it from some of the very intelligent people on TSR, however this has not been one of those useful comments and you clearly not among those people, so unless you have something more constructive to say stop commenting, as you have said nothing remotely useful.

This is even less useful than your previous comment of 6 words,

I frequently get 95%-100% in my exams thanks, but I don't feel the need to make a thread when I drop a couple of marks. And maths is my favourite subject too, so I "fail to see" why that's even relevant.

You obviously are ignorant, as you fail to acknowledge that some people (including some of my friends) are just not as academic as others. You assuming that they "could've worked harder" is highly ignorant - you don't know (and obviously don't care to know) about how hard people work, and how making a thread like this can make people like I'm describing feel subordinate because of their grades.

I couldn't care less if you think I'm "clearly not one of those [very intelligent] people" - just because I didn't give you the response you were after, doesn't mean that I'm intellectually inferior. To assume so is arrogant, so there's your evidence for that.

Nothing remotely useful? Sort your priorities out and get a reality check whilst you're at it. There you go. It's constructive too - maybe next time you make a thread you'll come across as less of a prick.

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Zoqua
There's no point calling people depressing academics just because they have different skills and interests to you, that's just depressing narrow mindedness to be honest.

It's not being narrow minded, it's being truthful. You're in year 10, getting 79/82, which is 96%, and you obviously know there is a fine score due to there being little room for improvement, and yet you still come you TSR claiming you're sad. You obviously don't need 100% for a 9, don't be ridiculous. You coming on here saying this is in actual fact quite depressing believe it or not.
Original post by Zoqua
I'm in Year 10 and we just got our Maths test results back, and I got 79/82, which was a Level 7, but I still feel quite disappointed with this as I mean, I really want to get a Level 9 in Maths at GCSE, and everyone else was telling me how good this mark was(2 People did better), but still, in order to get a Level 9 you need to always be aiming for 100%, and 79/82, it isn't really good enough. The marks I lost where from misreading what a question was asking me for, and for forgetting the the Negative Reciprocal is only for perpendicular graph lines, not normal reciprocal, so I basically read questions wrong, but what can I do to stop this from happening because I've revised Past papers for Yr10 and Yr11 Maths, but I still made this mistake, so what should I do from here?

That’s ****ing ridiculous. 79/82 is definitely a 9. What kind of ****ed up grade boundaries are your school using?
Reply 26
Firstly, whats wrong with wanting to do better? I have always hated it when people say "Oh, you got 98%, big deal", I think that's narrow minded because everyone has the right to aim however high they want. I was aiming for 100%, so I have the right to be disappointed with 96%, its that simple. Do you have any actual improvements I could help to make sure I do better.

By the way, wanting to do well in tests isn't depressing.
Well below average for TSR’s standards. People on here get 83/82. Lay your head in shame. Shambolic.
Reply 28
Original post by 12ksmith
That’s ****ing ridiculous. 79/82 is definitely a 9. What kind of ****ed up grade boundaries are your school using?

Year 10 "modified" boundaries. They can't predict, or give us a Level 9 until the final exam because we haven't learned everything yet, so they do progressions,
Year 7 tests are capped at 4+, Year 8 5+, Year 9 6+, Year 10 7+, Year 11 Mocks 8+, GCSE 9. I'm surprised that so many people's schools actually give them level 9's, I didn't know other school's did give 9's, I thought that how it is for most people. The grade boundaries aren't the problem for me though, I want to get my marks higher, do you know any good revision tips?
Reply 29

Maybe they did a paper where the limit is a 7 due to year 10s not completing all of the spec yet.. :dontknow:
What makes
Original post by Zoqua
Firstly, whats wrong with wanting to do better? I have always hated it when people say "Oh, you got 98%, big deal", I think that's narrow minded because everyone has the right to aim however high they want. I was aiming for 100%, so I have the right to be disappointed with 96%, its that simple. Do you have any actual improvements I could help to make sure I do better.

Improvements is stop being an arrogant twit. The arrogance comes from 'good' in quotation marks in the title, just don't bother. People who complain about 96.3%, the highest grade, need to wake up.
Original post by Zoqua
Year 10 "modified" boundaries. They can't predict, or give us a Level 9 until the final exam because we haven't learned everything yet, so they do progressions,
Year 7 tests are capped at 4+, Year 8 5+, Year 9 6+, Year 10 7+, Year 11 Mocks 8+, GCSE 9. I'm surprised that so many people's schools actually give them level 9's, I didn't know other school's did give 9's, I thought that how it is for most people. The grade boundaries aren't the problem for me though, I want to get my marks higher, do you know any good revision tips?

There’s basically only so many questions they can actually ask you. Just go through as many examples as possible and make sure you understand the underlying maths behind them.
Original post by Kevin Hodge
Well below average for TSR’s standards. People on here get 83/82. Lay your head in shame. Shambolic.

:rofl:
Original post by kataali
Maybe they did a paper where the limit is a 7 due to year 10s not completing all of the spec yet.. :dontknow:

Our school gives us grades based on the percentage grade. You don’t get straight Us during the first term of A levels do you, even though you have only covered a fraction of the course.
Reply 34
Original post by Zoqua

If one person got 96% in their test, and another got 100%, the universities will still just see the same grade 9s in both applications anyway... A grade 9 is the highest you can achieve, so you shouldn't be 'sad', people really struggle to obtain that...
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Brooklyn2000
What makes

Improvements is stop being an arrogant twit. The arrogance comes from 'good' in quotation marks in the title, just don't bother. People who complain about 96.3%, the highest grade, need to wake up.

Firstly, the grade boundaries where a new grade every 5 marks up, so 65-69=6+, 70-74=7-, 75-79=7 and then 80-82=7+, so firstly it wasn't the highest grade, secondly I don't see why I shouldn't aim for 100% in this subject, as I am doing fairly well in subjects which I don't want to pursue after School, like Chemistry, so if I can get over 90% on a Chemistry test, why should I be able to get 100% on a Maths test?
Reply 36
There’s basically only so many questions they can actually ask you. Just go through as many examples as possible and make sure you understand the underlying maths behind them.

Thanks, I'm probably going to test lots of GCSE Past papers and practice reading the questions while I'm doing the test.
Original post by Zoqua
Thanks, I'm probably going to test lots of GCSE Past papers and practice reading the questions while I'm doing the test.

GCSE Maths revision is basically just past paper questions & then referring the the textbook or teacher when you get stuck.
Original post by Zoqua
Firstly, the grade boundaries where a new grade every 5 marks up, so 65-69=6+, 70-74=7-, 75-79=7 and then 80-82=7+, so firstly it wasn't the highest grade, secondly I don't see why I shouldn't aim for 100% in this subject, as I am doing fairly well in subjects which I don't want to pursue after School, like Chemistry, so if I can get over 90% on a Chemistry test, why should I be able to get 100% on a Maths test?

Firstly you're wrong due to grade boundaries being fluid in the fact they vary year by year. Its not set. It's due to the normal distribution curve of how well all students do. And unless nearly everyone gets full marks, an A*/9 will not be >96% . End of.
Reply 39
Original post by Brooklyn2000
Firstly you're wrong due to grade boundaries being fluid in the fact they vary year by year. Its not set. It's due to the normal distribution curve of how well all students do. And unless nearly everyone gets full marks, an A*/9 will not be >96% . End of.

I was talking about the boundaries for this assessment, and an 8 is an A*, a 9 is higher than an A*.
Do you know how the rough level for a 9? I heard it was around 80-85%, which would be fine, but some people said it would be really high, 98-100%.

Quick Reply

Latest