The Student Room Group

Disappointed with a "good" mark

Scroll to see replies

1) 65/80 was a grade 9 last year. You don't need to be aiming for 100% - everyone makes silly mistakes.

2) It's all about context. You can complain about exam results to people who didn't take the exam (Sorry Mum...) but don't complain in front of people who took the same exam and did worse. You just end up looking like a ****.

You'll be more successful if you get along with people than if you get an extra 3 marks on a year 10 test.
Original post by Zoqua
Year 10 "modified" boundaries. They can't predict, or give us a Level 9 until the final exam because we haven't learned everything yet, so they do progressions,
Year 7 tests are capped at 4+, Year 8 5+, Year 9 6+, Year 10 7+, Year 11 Mocks 8+, GCSE 9. I'm surprised that so many people's schools actually give them level 9's, I didn't know other school's did give 9's, I thought that how it is for most people. The grade boundaries aren't the problem for me though, I want to get my marks higher, do you know any good revision tips?

Revision isn't the problem, it's taking care that is. You clearly know everything but you just need to be careful, read questions again and make sure that you're doing what is asked of you. As you do practise papers and questions in school see where you make these mistakes and then make sure to be extra careful when you tackle questions like that in the real exam.
Tbh though I think that you should focus more on your other subjects you can improve on maths with just care, at this point, the other subjects are probably demanding in workload.
Original post by Kevin Hodge
Well below average for TSR’s standards. People on here get 83/82. Lay your head in shame. Shambolic.

castrate him son
He needs to receive the Asian beating.
Don't worry about developing. Maths is the easiest subject to get better at, especially with time and practice. Trust me - I'd know. I went from not knowing the area of a circle in year 7 and getting poor grades (5th lowest my in year 7/8 class) to now in year 11 and taking STEP (and AEA/M/FM).

Practice is key but also tutoring others. Tutoring others helps you to understand a concept to its simplest level and if you can teach something, it is then that you truly understand it. Teach others or pretend to teach others and talk to yourself (weird, but it helps). Here's a little routine I give to follow year 11 for Maths GCSE (this can be extended to Maths and Further Maths A level but not STEP/AEA as they're vastly different in question style).

For every topic:
- watch Mathswatch video on it
- watch examsolutions video on it
- watch random videos on YouTube to learn advanced examples of it
- go to CGP revision guide page for that topic and do the questions on there (the example and the ones on the bottom)
- go to the CGP workbook page for that topic and complete all questions for that topic (check your answers)
- go to the CGP Grade 9 workbook pages for that topic and complete all questions for that topic (some questions are quite fun)
- go to mathsgenie and do their worksheets for that topic
- go to justmaths and do their worksheets for that topic

- repeat for EVERY topic in Maths GCSE

- sit every since GCSE past paper (~past 7 papers) for (AQA, Edexcel, OCR; all 3)
- sit the CGP 9-1 practice papers (buy them)
- sit the Churchill 9-1 papers
- sit the CrashMaths papers
- sit the specimen papers
- sit all the practice set papers (and previous mocks)

I assure you, if you do this all properly - you will have NO trouble achieving 100%. This may actually be overdoing this but in doing this, you will master every topic and understand it to the fullest. Also, doing all the past 7 papers for all 3 exam boards (AQA, Edexcel, OCR) is very useful (even though the board may differ for you and it's the old spec; you should still do it). Completing the CGP papers and marking it will give you the grade you're working at (they have their own boundaries). CrashMath and Churchill papers are harder than normal papers therefore if you practice them, it's quite useful.
He needs to receive the Asian beating.

5 x sandal
5 x slap
5 x kick
5 x disowned

maybe then he'll get a decent mark
That’s only level 1 beating.
mocks are harder than the actual GCSE paper you should be really proud of your grade the exam board will probably lower yhe grade boundries so in the real paper that will be a 8 or possibly 9 well done!!!!! :smile:
Original post by Zoqua
I'm in Year 10 and we just got our Maths test results back, and I got 79/82, which was a Level 7, but I still feel quite disappointed with this as I mean, I really want to get a Level 9 in Maths at GCSE, and everyone else was telling me how good this mark was(2 People did better), but still, in order to get a Level 9 you need to always be aiming for 100%, and 79/82, it isn't really good enough. The marks I lost where from misreading what a question was asking me for, and for forgetting the the Negative Reciprocal is only for perpendicular graph lines, not normal reciprocal, so I basically read questions wrong, but what can I do to stop this from happening because I've revised Past papers for Yr10 and Yr11 Maths, but I still made this mistake, so what should I do from here?

Most probably you had an easy paper if two people did better than you. The actual gcse paper you will sit will inevitably be hard and you won't need 100% to get a 9; the harder the students find the paper nationally means the boundaries will be lower. So don't worry about it, you've done well.
Original post by Zoqua
I was asking if anyone knew how I could fix this problem, and you just told me how to fix it, practice and use the Christmas holidays for extra revision time. Crying is almost always pointless, and shows weakness and usually sensitivity.

Crying doesn't show weakness, how ridiculous
That’s only level 1 beating.

what level should we give him?
Hey, I got a 9 in last years exams, and the proportion of people getting a 9 was still around 3%. At the end of the day, the topics covered in year 10 at the start are significantly easier than those covered in year 11, so sometimes teachers don't give out 9's on practice questions until later. Don't worry about it! I occasionally lost marks to misreading questions too, and so do many others.
I think we should go for level 2.
um...you do know that 79/82 is a grade 9, don't you.
Original post by Zoqua
I know(One of my friends older brother got a Level 9), but only the top 3% will get a Level 9 now, when the boundaries are more accurate, and to be in the top 3% of the country you should really always be getting around 100%...

to give you an idea of what you will need, find out how many people are in your year group in your school and find 3% of that. if you are in that number, it is likely that you are on track to get a 9 in your GCSE
Original post by Zoqua
I'm in Year 10 and we just got our Maths test results back, and I got 79/82, which was a Level 7, but I still feel quite disappointed with this as I mean, I really want to get a Level 9 in Maths at GCSE, and everyone else was telling me how good this mark was(2 People did better), but still, in order to get a Level 9 you need to always be aiming for 100%, and 79/82, it isn't really good enough. The marks I lost where from misreading what a question was asking me for, and for forgetting the the Negative Reciprocal is only for perpendicular graph lines, not normal reciprocal, so I basically read questions wrong, but what can I do to stop this from happening because I've revised Past papers for Yr10 and Yr11 Maths, but I still made this mistake, so what should I do from here?

I got a grade 9 with 64/80

Quick Reply

Latest