The Student Room Group

Sixth Form Personal Statements - share tips and ask for advice

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
HELP PLEASE
I really need to narrow this down because at the moment it is about a page and a half A4 size 12 and its meant to be only one page. Can somebody please tell me which bits are irrelevant because I don't know what else to cut out.

I am looking forward to attending a college where I play an active part in the community. Personally, I think that I am the sort of student who will prosper in an environment which is more mature than a secondary school. This is because I feel that I am prepared for more of a challenge within my academic life. I am interested in studying A-levels in Dance, Psychology, Business Studies and Maths with Statistics. I also find the option of enrichment studies particularly appealing and hope to participate in either a Language Class to keep up my studies in French or some sort of life skills programme such as First Aid.

I am reliable and approachable. I am open minded, although once I have made a decision I am determined to reach my goal. I have always thrived on the sense of accomplishment or the feeling of satisfaction once a problem has been solved. This means that I am prepared to go above and beyond to complete a task. I particularly enjoy working with other people and learning new skills in an unconventional format.

My intention is to go onto university to study to be a Primary School teacher. I have had experience in this area in the past. I have been helping with young children's dance classes and I feel that my work at the dance school and with the children has helped me gain confidence and grow as a person. I have also been involved with The Girl guiding Association where I attended rainbows, brownies and guides. I then continued on to being a young leader at my guides group and enjoyed planning activities for the girls which involved sports games and craft activities. For my work experience I was invited to work at Burwell Village College (Primary School) I really enjoyed my time there and I feel that I benefited from the environment I was in. My duties in the classroom involved helping the children with reading in small groups and my favourite experience from my two weeks there was helping with sports day. This gave me a chance to interact with children of all ages in an environment where they were behaving differently to in the class room. I had a lot of fun at my work experience and I was sad to leave at the end of my two weeks. In the summer I helped with a program at my school called Second Step. This program was for helping children make the transition from primary school to secondary school. It consisted of some after school sessions during term time then some full day activities in the holidays. We also went on one overnight stay at an outdoor centre. I enjoyed seeing the year sixes grow in confidence as the weeks went on and I liked working in a team with my peers, to help the children.

I have enjoyed my time at secondary school and I have been involved in being a mentor/buddy for two years. This included going to younger years in the school's form room once or twice a week and asking how their school work was going and helping the form tutor with any duties they had such as signing planners or collecting merits. We also planned a quiz every week which the form enjoyed, as did I. I have represented my form in Form Representative Meetings involving making decisions with senior members of staff and my peers. This year I hope to be a member of the year book committee because I feel that it would be fun to be involved with something special for our year group.

I am currently studying the core GCSE subjects at Bottisham Village College theses are Maths and English and I chose to take triple science because I am strong in science. The humanities subject which I chose to do was History and I have found the syllabus incredibly interesting. I also chose to take BTEC media studies which I found really interesting and I enjoyed the topics we did which included creating our own adverts and reviewing each others work. Finally, I did Art which I found enjoyable because it allowed me to express myself however I find it easier to express myself in my dancing which is why iv chosen Dance A-level. I have also chosen to do Business Studies because I think that I will gain skills which would be extremely useful in the future. I think that Psychology would be a good A-level subject for me because we have done a small topic on the Brain and Mind in Biology at GCSE and I found it extremely interesting. Another reason that I would like to study it is that my siblings have taken the subject and I have always found it interesting to hear what they were studying and wanted to learn more. My final choice is Maths with Statistics. This subject is appealing to me because it would be a good A-level to have for becoming a Primary School Teacher. This is because I would need to do a National Curriculum Subject and I find Maths interesting.

My primary interest outside of the curriculum is Dance, I have been dancing at Jill Bridger School of Dance since I was 2 years old. I enjoy dancing because it is good exercise and I have built some very strong relationships since I have been there. I have done classes in five different types of dance. The dance style which I have done the most is Ballet and I have been taking classes for 13 years I have recently completed my grade six RAD exam and I am now preparing for my grade seven. These exams included Character dancing in Russian, Polish and Hungarian styles which I enjoyed. I have been doing Tap and Modern exams for 11 years and I am grade four tap which I will be examined in in the summer. I have recently taken my grade five modern exam and I am now preparing for grade six. As well as taking regular exams with RAD ISTD I have taken two exams in free movement, we are examined on this in our ballet exams but I enjoyed it then and I was pleased to be given the opportunity to widen my skills with these exams. I also compete in local festivals with my team mates from my dance school. This part of the school is called team JB and when it launched I applied to be a team captain, I was successful and my duties now include helping my team prepare for the festivals and motivating them before we go on stage. I have enjoyed my duties as a dance captain and I have been invited to carry on this year.

I am looking forward to attending a college that will enable me to reach my full potential and I hope to flourish in a new environment next year.

OH yeah and the deadline is at the end of the week so this is URGENT!!!!
Reply 61
Original post by gazzzzaaaaaa
hi, new on the student room but here it goes. basically, im applying for coopers' company and coborn sixth form (currently in barking abbey yr 11) and i was wondering what are the chances of me getting in were.

Im currently doing subjects: double science (grades A* and A) Drama ( grade B) Maths ( grade B) english Language (grade A) english literature (grade A) IT (grade B and A) Sociology (grade C :frown: ) Music (grade B/A)

I can also play guitar to a grade 4 standard ( have 2 distinctions and a merit), and can also speak fluent Turkish ( am taking gcse this summer)

Thanks in advance!

Also, forgot to add, is it worth me doing a Personal statement on the application form, It doesn't ask for one?

Hey :smile: I just joined the Coopers sixth form at the beginning of this school year. You will probably get a conditional offer into the sixth form, although this does depend on what subjects you are taking for AS and Alevel. If you are taking science subjects you need atleast a B, and for maths you need atleast an A. I don't know the entry requirements for the other subjects but if you get a conditional place at the school the will send you a letter telling you what you need to get in the 4 subjects you wish to carry on at AS level and that you need atleast 8 A* to C grades, so you should be fine. You do not need to attach a personal statement you just need to get the grades, make sure you tick the box to be considered for clearing if you don't get the grades.
Good Luck! Hope I see you at coopers in September :smile: xx
thanks, hopefully i should manage that :biggrin: im planning to take biology, chemistry, psycology and IT, but ive got the listed grades in science as i have already completed the course, Just the rest to go, fingers crossed!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 63
Hi, could someone tell me if this is okay for my personal statement?
I'm applying for my schools sixth form and was told to write up to 100 words on why I want to stay on.
If anyone on here could proof read it and tell me how I can make any adjustments I would appreciate it :smile:
Thanks

Next year I plan to study art, psychology, english and product design. I hope to eventually go to university, to study fashion retail or merchandising.
I would like to stay at KS (dont want to put full name of sixth form on here but in my actual personal statement it says the full name) because of its thriving art department. I would also like to stay at KS because it is a warm, friendly environment that I am accustomed to, and I feel being a new student and having to learn my way around a new school would hinder my learning. Next year I would also like to apply for head girl, which I wouldn’t feel comfortable doing at another school.
Reply 64
i'm currently writing my personal statement for a sixth form. it's really high up in the national league tables so i want it to be perfect, because they are really oversubscribed i don't want to come across as average. i've so far put in reasons i want to go there, subjects i want to choose and why, hobbies and musical achievements, work experience that i've done and am going to do. any ideas what else? it has to be a maximum of 500 words. also how do i start it, like the opening sentence? and how do i end it? confused :frown:
Hey,
I want to start writing my personal statement, but I'm really stressing about it, and I have some questions, if anyone could help me out, that'd be great:
I want to apply to study International Business Management and Languages, but there are a couple of glitches with this..

1) Heriot Watt university (my first choice) is the only university that does this course precisely, so if they don't accept me and I have to settle for a course at one of my other options that's similar, but not the same, how do I write a personal statement that fits any of my options, regardless of where I'm accepted?

2) I can write plenty about why I'd be suited to a language course, since I've been studying French since I was 11, I have an A* in the subject at GCSE, and I studied Chinese for 2 years in high school, and visited China with my class for a week, and I'm hoping to spend a week in France next summer to do work experience, so that part of it is more or less covered. But I know next to nothing about Business Management, so I really wouldn't know what to write about it. It's only in recent years that I've become interested in business, and I'd like to have a career as an interpreter in a business environment, but that's more or less all I can really think to say. Any thoughts?

3) There is a limit to what can be written, so how can I fit in a detailed description of both aspects of the course, and why I'm interested and such?

4) The only work experience I have is the following:
*I spent a week helping out in a children's centre, where I spent a few days in the creche, supervising children, carrying out health and safety assessments before anyone came into the play area, then a few days in the reception office, answering the phone,putting people through to different offices, undertaking stock-checks, and helping visitors to the centre if necessary.

*I worked for 3-4 months in a salon as a receptionist where I answered the phone, booked and cancelled appointments, updated the customer database, sold the products on offer, ensured that all rooms in the salon were clean and ready for use, assisting customers who came into the salon, locked up at closing time,etc.

How would I make that fit into my personal statement, if it's even possible?

Any help/advice on these would be great.
Cheers!:biggrin:
Reply 66
I am applying to a grammer school which is one of the highest ranked in the country (Newport girls high school). Any help would be really appreciated

I am a hardworking, committed and dedicated young lady. During my years at Burton Borough School, I have developed as a person. I am now much more mature and aware of my strengths. My listening and communication skills are excellent. I have become far more competent at problem solving and , I also have outstanding team working skills, which will help me to achieve the best results in my GCSE’S.I have been a member of the Girl Guides which has helped me to improve many of my skills such as teamwork and a hard-working attitude. I constantly strive to develop my skills and become a more successful learner. In order to achieve this I take part in many extracurricular activities including playing flute in the Burton Borough School Junior wind band during key stage 3, which has gained many awards during that time, and I am now doing extra music lessons after school in order for me to get another GCSE. My favourite subjects are the sciences and I am particularly talented at biology and chemistry. I am also particularly talented at the work in D.T; therefore I took GCSE Food Technology as one of my GCSE options at the end of year nine. As my other option choices, I chose Triple Science, French and geography. For my work experience I went to Tibberton primary school, during my time there, I learnt a lot and thoroughly enjoyed it. From work experience I learnt the work behind being a teacher which I had previously wanted to pursue as my career. However from doing the work experience, I have now realised I would be more suited to a career in medicine, as I enjoy TV programmes such as A&E and I am very interested in the human body and looking after adults and children. Within the past year I have been working at Jones’s, the chip shop where I learned a lot and developed further as a person .The subjects I hope to study for my A-Levels are Biology, chemistry, physics and Physiology, in order to pursue my career in medicine.
Reply 67
Heys everyone :smile: can you check my applicant for a college please?

Why do you wish to continue your education?

I wish to continue my education because I want to follow the path to my future which is becoming a General practitioner, the only solution of become a GP is to go in to further education I want to be successful in the future.

I chosen my career occupation ever since I was 6 years old, I was very fond for helping people as much as I possibly could. I knew the side effects of medication and alternative sides such as Hebal treatment . For example if you have a small cut on your body you could, get a leaf and place it on the cut.

My interest and hobbies includes: reading about newly discovered fossils and the universe, for example the supernova exploding a couple months back was extremely “awesome” as you can only see that happening one every several million years! On the other side, the newly discovered fossil recently was the “nest full of baby dinosaurs” this was shown on TV on BBC one.

The hobbies I love are playing basketball and table tennis, I love to play them after school but mainly if physical education isn’t on after school I play chess with my friends.

Personal /academic achievements are 98-100% attendance award, science, maths, and another certificate for geography from the mayor of London.

My responsibilities as a prefect is to help younger pupils to know their way around schools, introduce them to their new classes and troubles that occur in school such as bullying, racism and fights.

Other infomaton about me, is that i a am mature and young, i am all ways willing to learn new things which develops me to become a GP , I all ways put my hand up for something I do not get, but as well I love learning new things. You could say that this is why i want to go into further education.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 68
Hey Guys!

I'm applying for Latymer sixth form, and I wonder if someone could read over my PS for me? I won't post it here for obvious reasons, but I can PM it if you want
Reply 69
could some one help by reading my rough draft to see what i could improve etc... thanks alot

I am a very hard working student who goes to ..........School, and I thrive to do well and I strongly believe I am capable of achieving A*-B grades, in my chosen subjects.

I am a hard worker and do my absolute best to meet targets I set myself, and also target others such as teachers set me.
Since I started ...............School I have developed some of my abilities, I have gained more self confidence, I have become more independent and I will try my hardest to complete a difficult task. I like to have responsibility as it helps me to become more reliable. I like to be honest and I am trustworthy.

I have good skills in communicating, which I developed during work experience. I also have skills in teamwork and have good self-confidence, also which I gained from work experience. At work experience I learned how to communicate with customers and how to deal with difficult customers.

I like to be involved in charity events where I can help, I have helped to organise some charity events in the past at school.

During years 10 and 11 I have been studying Spanish, Religious Education, Art & Design Textile, Drama, as well as the compulsory subjects of Maths, English and science. I although I do not dislike any of my subjects, I particularly enjoy Maths, Science, Religious Studies and Spanish. I am fairly successful at those subjects I particularly enjoy.

I would like to continue with Spanish, maths and also biology at college as I think these are subjects I excel at and enjoy. I am looking forward to starting college and being able to focus on my chosen subjects.

p.s i know i need to check my grammer prop. and spelling but other than that how could i improve? and also how can i make myself stand out from the rest of people who are applying, because to me personally it feels like my personal stat is kind of dry and boring, i think there is no enthuthiasm. to be honest i dont know, it just feels like what any other person would write so advice would be great.

thanks alot azzy =]
Hi can someone please check my personal statement as i am applying for a really good sixth form (ENGLANDS TOP 10)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 71
Blimey, all the places I'm applying to give me about 6 lines to write why I want to go there, and my personal interests!

Where is all this coming from?!?
Original post by Sapien
Blimey, all the places I'm applying to give me about 6 lines to write why I want to go there, and my personal interests!

Where is all this coming from?!?

Some applications give you a couple of lines to write while others give a big space to write a nice mushy statement full of lies.
Reply 73
PLEASE READ and explain how i could improve it!! urgent

My predicted grades are A’s and B’s, however, I exceeded my predicted grades by achieving A’s in English language, Chemistry and Biology theses grades reflect on the hard work and determination put into my work. In reality, I want to receive A’s in all my GCSE’s.

I chose the courses I am applying for because I have a great interest in biology and geography; and I enjoy learning chemistry meanwhile, I really enjoy expressing myself through art. I think the courses I have chosen are a good combination of skills. Furthermore, I enjoy being involved with anything concerning animals and science; that is the main reason I have chosen these subjects. Additionally, I believe they will help me in the future with my career path.

Over the years whilst studying at school I have contributed a lot to school life such as my involvement with the school council and being a member of the cyber mentoring team- this enabled me to advanced my debating and communicating skills by supporting the younger members of the school. In addition, I have taken part in all the school production which has developed my confidence and shown my dedications towards school.

In year 11 I had been nominated as a prefect. It has made me more aware of my responsibilities and idol for younger students and I represent the school by volunteering in the community task force.

Furthermore, I have widened my knowledge by taking part in the Chinese and Japanese course at Birmingham University, which has improved my social skills.

I have become a certified first aider in 2011.

In my free time, I go snorkelling once a week; I’m also involved in a drama group held at the Old Rep theatre weekly and enjoy swimming every Saturday for the past 8 years. I am committed to these activities, and feel they provide a release of stress and help to build my confidence. Earlier in year 10, I completed my work experience at the vet and I currently do voluntary work there every Wednesday evening. This helps me gain more knowledge and experience about the career that I want to go into and enables me to improve my time management skills.

THANKSS
So all the PS I'm reading on here seem to fill about 1/2 an A4 page... Is that the recommended length? I'm on over 1 1/2 pages and I still feel there is more to write? Am I waffling, should I condense it? D:
Original post by goldlock
Yeah guys, we've been asked at school to write a two page long PS, but a generic one, not aimed at applying to any particular college (though I'd like to go to Hills Road!); I'd appreciate it if you could give it a general checkover, 'cos we have to put it into a "dropbox" in two weeks, and we can't do anything with it after that.

Sorry it's positioned wierdly; technical difficulties :frown:
Many thanks in advance! :smile:

Personal statement front.doc

Personal statement back.doc

Yohr first paragraph is all 'I' 'I' 'I'
Original post by sheepshap
PLEASE READ and explain how i could improve it!! urgent

My predicted grades are A’s and B’s, however, I exceeded my predicted grades by achieving A’s in English language, Chemistry and Biology theses grades reflect on the hard work and determination put into my work. In reality, I want to receive A’s in all my GCSE’s.

I chose the courses I am applying for because I have a great interest in biology and geography; and I enjoy learning chemistry meanwhile, I really enjoy expressing myself through art. I think the courses I have chosen are a good combination of skills. Furthermore, I enjoy being involved with anything concerning animals and science; that is the main reason I have chosen these subjects. Additionally, I believe they will help me in the future with my career path.

Over the years whilst studying at school I have contributed a lot to school life such as my involvement with the school council and being a member of the cyber mentoring team- this enabled me to advanced my debating and communicating skills by supporting the younger members of the school. In addition, I have taken part in all the school production which has developed my confidence and shown my dedications towards school.

In year 11 I had been nominated as a prefect. It has made me more aware of my responsibilities and idol for younger students and I represent the school by volunteering in the community task force.

Furthermore, I have widened my knowledge by taking part in the Chinese and Japanese course at Birmingham University, which has improved my social skills.

I have become a certified first aider in 2011.

In my free time, I go snorkelling once a week; I’m also involved in a drama group held at the Old Rep theatre weekly and enjoy swimming every Saturday for the past 8 years. I am committed to these activities, and feel they provide a release of stress and help to build my confidence. Earlier in year 10, I completed my work experience at the vet and I currently do voluntary work there every Wednesday evening. This helps me gain more knowledge and experience about the career that I want to go into and enables me to improve my time management skills.

THANKSS

Sounds good
Original post by PrinceUpsb
So all the PS I'm reading on here seem to fill about 1/2 an A4 page... Is that the recommended length? I'm on over 1 1/2 pages and I still feel there is more to write? Am I waffling, should I condense it? D:

It depends how room they give you, which gives you an idea how much they want you to write. Some applications it says 'continue on a seperate sheet if necessary', which means they don't mind you writing a lot but some only give you a small box :smile: So depends on how much room they give you to write :biggrin:
Original post by AKKaur
It depends how room they give you, which gives you an idea how much they want you to write. Some applications it says 'continue on a seperate sheet if necessary', which means they don't mind you writing a lot but some only give you a small box :smile: So depends on how much room they give you to write :biggrin:

I have an application that has about 2 x 4/5 a4 landscape page for writing (they split up academic/extra curr sections).. with the addition of 'continue onto extra sheet if necessary'... so I'm not limited here really am I? Plenty of space.
Is it incorrect to write 'Prefect' with a capital letter on my personal statement? Bear in mind this is not following a punctuation mark such as a full stop.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending