The Student Room Group
Ispectah Deck
If i end up getting 4 A's at A level, would it be worth going to study law at newcastle? or just re-apply somewhere else for next year?

At the risk of sounding like Danny_77, I would say definitely reapply, unless you are so in love with the University and/or the town that you can't imagine being anywhere else.

Newcastle is not great for Law - as far as I know (which isn't very far, to be honest) it's not even 'decent' for Law.

But it also depends on what subjects you are studying at A Level, I suppose. If they're mostly academic/rigorous (English, Maths, Science, Humanities, Languages, etc) and you get 4 A's, it would be ridiculous to settle for Newcastle.
Reply 2
brightxburns
At the risk of sounding like Danny_77, I would say definitely reapply, unless you are so in love with the University and/or the town that you can't imagine being anywhere else.

Newcastle is not great for Law - as far as I know (which isn't very far, to be honest) it's not even 'decent' for Law.

But it also depends on what subjects you are studying at A Level, I suppose. If they're mostly academic/rigorous (English, Maths, Science, Humanities, Languages, etc) and you get 4 A's, it would be ridiculous to settle for Newcastle.

I would have to agree completely!!
Reply 3
brightxburns

Based on what exactly?
Reply 4
how is law at newcastle not even decent? They ask for a minimum of 3 A's at A-level, which is better than most uni's. I'm doing history, biology, english & psychology
Reply 5
well, all the 20sth ranked unis ask for 3A's at A-level. where else did you apply?
Reply 6
bristol, warwick, notts & durham. lnat went to the **** tho & competitions so high for each i'm expecting rejections. havnt got any replies yet tho
Reply 7
What on earth do the detractors of Newcastle have to substantiate their opinions?

I went to the Open Day - with an open mind. I was impressed. Talked to the Admissions tutor (very nice) and many others, then and since.
* Seems an excellent course, well managed. Cosy, I'd say ... not too big.
* Gets good student satisfaction scores - and that is a well managed survey.
* Newcastle ask for 3 As, so you will be hardly a duck out of water with 4 As. I didn't know Newcastle, but I liked the town. Big investments of late.
Reply 8
as far as i know, bristol operates a point system and LNAT will not be everything.
warwick is seriously competitive, but it doesn't ask for LNAT.
notts and Durham do look on the LNAT significantly, especailyl Durham.
but you never know! just wait for your other replies.
Reply 9
Newcastle is a good university. If you have AAAA at A-level and you do well in your Law degree you will be absolutely fine. I'd say only reapply if you want a gap year and have ideas for it.
Reply 10
Na I think the OP should reapply. He/She could do a lot better with 4 A's. And gap years are fun.
Reply 11
Honestly, unless you want to try your hand at Oxbridge I do not think that you should reapply mainly because you haven't even heard from your other 4 choices. You really should wait for the decisions to come in from the remaining 4 universities.

The weightage of the LNAT is pure speculation. Someone from UCL got a 13 apparently according to a post I read somewhere in this forum. I am using this as an example to say that the LNAT is not a 'make it or break it' factor for good law universities. And yes, Durham does place quite an emphasis on the LNAT but this year it has seemed to have lowered the cut off point. So, basically what I am trying to say is that you should wait before any decisions are made. And good luck with the remaining 4 universities.

Latest

Trending

Trending