The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Opinions on Newcastle University for LLB

Hello! I’m a prospective student to Newcastle University and want some opinions especially from current or past law students at Newcastle University. From what I have read so far, it isn’t as prestigious as other Russell Group universities but it’s the ‘best’ university that I can get into with my current grades / contextual offer admission policy. Nonetheless, I’m looking for people who can share light on what’s it like to study there, Newcastle as a city to study in and if there are lots of things to do, student life and any other comments people who are in / have been Newcastle especially if you studied law. Thanks!
Original post by patrickcrossley
Hello! I’m a prospective student to Newcastle University and want some opinions especially from current or past law students at Newcastle University. From what I have read so far, it isn’t as prestigious as other Russell Group universities but it’s the ‘best’ university that I can get into with my current grades / contextual offer admission policy. Nonetheless, I’m looking for people who can share light on what’s it like to study there, Newcastle as a city to study in and if there are lots of things to do, student life and any other comments people who are in / have been Newcastle especially if you studied law. Thanks!

Hi @patrickcrossley

My name is Alex and I'm a recent graduate from Newcastle Uni with a 2:1 in English Literature with Media Communications. Although I may not be able to answer for Law specifically, I can do my best to shed some light on the reputation of the Uni and Newcastle as a city in general!

Our Law LLB is professionally accredited and satisfies the requirements of the Bar Standards Board, allowing you to progress directly to the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC) for barristers on graduation.

Our Law School is globally engaged, yet rooted in its local community. This helps build knowledge and understanding, as well as empathy and cross-cultural awareness. There are also many opportunities for work experience to further your knowledge and expand your networking skills.

You can convert our standard three-year Law LLB Honours degree to a four-year LLB Honours degree with either a placement or international exchange year. The degree focuses on building the foundations of legal knowledge, as well as analysis and skills essential for a successful future career.

Find out more info about the Law LLB degree here: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/m101/

In terms of the city in general, Newcastle is an amazing place to live out your university experience. There is so much to do and see - with big cultural spaces such as the Theatre Royal, the Hancock Museum, the Metro Radio Arena and more. Newcastle is a bustling city day and night, so you'll never run out of things to do; but if you're wanting to escape the city for a bit, it's a mere 20 minute drive to the coast, and a 20 minute drive in the opposite direction to the countryside for a change of scenery. It goes without saying that the nightlife is great too - but I'm sure you've heard that before :smile:

I might be a bit biased as a local, but the fact I haven't moved from the city yet is telling enough that it's a great community to be a part of!

Hopefully this helps, and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Best,
Alex
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending