The Student Room Group

Horizon: Total Isolation Documentary

Hi,

Just thought i'd mention that there is a documentary about an experiment into the effects of total sensory deprivation which looks mega interesting on tonight.

BBC Two: 9pm
Horizon: Total Isolation

A documentary about the effects of total sensory deprivation on a person is, by its very nature, difficult to do. How can you successfully illustrate someone's hallucinations or make a person's constant pacing visually interesting? Yet this film, in which six volunteers endure total sensory deprivation for 48 hours and undergo mental tests to ascertain how it has affected their memory and concentration, is remarkably effective. Alongside footage of the disturbing experiment are interviews with former hostage Brian Keenan and with Paris Carriger, who was imprisoned for 18 years, much of it in solitary confinement. What's most incredible is that hardly any scientific work has been carried out to investigate the effects of sensory deprivation, despite increasing numbers of prisoners being held in such circumstances around the world.

Enjoy!
Was I the only one who watched it?

Awh, im such a nerd.
Reply 2
I read about it on BBC couple of days ago. it was my on to-do list..but but...I forgot. plus I have some biology revision to do. mehh.

how did you find it? ..do share the intresting-ness -nods- =p
Reply 3
I would have done if I'd have heard about it. Any idea if/when it'll be repeated?
i'm gonna look for this on the BBC iPlayer thing tomorrow! Unfortunately I was out when it was on. If not, it'll probably be on BBC3/4 at some point soon
I watched it and found it fascinating. The man who had been kept in isolation for 18 years of his life and how the sensory deprivation has, to paraphrase his words, shut down 2/3 of his former capabilities for example he can not follow directions, drive down a busy road or take in too much information at one time does not feel there has been any change in his ten years out of the isolation in his mental condition.

The volunteers for the experiment were incarcerated for only 48 hours and treated humanely yet showed marked differences in their abilities afterwards. What must it be like to NOT be treated humanely and to be in isolation for 18 years? The thought sends shudders down my spine.
The six participants who endured 48 hours of sensory deprivation also began hallucinating and repetative behaviors like pacing the perimiter of their rooms and such. It's hard to imagine what 18 years would be like if 48 hours is that bad.
Reply 7
Meliae
I would have done if I'd have heard about it. Any idea if/when it'll be repeated?

I didn't know it was on either, sounded fascinating as i've recently read a book about the history of brainwashing which had a chapter on sensory deprivation experiments, it really is quite strange what happens to the brain with no input.

Checked radiotimes.com and its repeated on Saturday 02 February 2:55am BBC1, with sign language.
Reply 8
I watched it.

As interesting as it was, there are many things that would make imprisoned isolation far worse. As they mentioned on the programme, these people knew that they were there for 48 hours, they knew that people were watching them, and they knew that they were safe.

Isolation + fear is a much worse combination. Not knowing how long one will be alone is in itself horrifying.

As I said, although psychologists may have learned quite a bit from the experiment, it omits certain conditions that are vital to truly understanding the effects of isolation on humans.

However, I don't see why we need to force people to ever be stuck in isolation. As social animals, I can't think of punishments much worse...
I watched it on the bbc iplayer.

Although it was very interesting, I found it very unnerving to watch. It was baisically watching people who had no idea about what they were letting themselves into go through 48 hours of mental torture. I just hope there was no significant long term damage.
Anamaria90
I watched it on the bbc iplayer.

Although it was very interesting, I found it very unnerving to watch. It was baisically watching people who had no idea about what they were letting themselves into go through 48 hours of mental torture. I just hope there was no significant long term damage.

Hmm, isnt that why we're all studying to become Psychologists?

Or is that just me?
:biggrin:
Reply 11
Does anyone have the original BBC article saved? ..it'd be helpful if someone can share, Im thinking of using it for my psychology assignment =p
Reply 12
O.o I didnt hear about this! Def gonna look it up on BBC iPlayer hope its still there :biggrin:

Darn It must of ran out :frown:

Latest