The Student Room Group

Insurance and Uni accommodation

Going to uni later this year but i need to bring my car with me so i can get to work every week. Issue is the price. Living at home my insurance is looking to be around £700 come time to renew. At the accommodation address it'll be around £1600 despite it appearing to be a locked compound. Bearing in mind i plan on spending a few weekends and pretty much any weeks out of teaching at home, would it be a safe bet to put my insurance as my home address?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by EUROPXU
Going to uni later this year but i need to bring my car with me so i can get to work every week. Issue is the price. Living at home my insurance is looking to be around £700 come time to renew. At the accommodation address it'll be around £1600 despite it appearing to be a locked compound. Bearing in mind i plan on spending a few weekends and pretty much any weeks out of teaching at home, would it be a safe bet to put my insurance as my home address?

You should put the address down where the car will spend most of its nights over the duration of the policy (12 months?).

Just a possible scenario here, but if your car was to be stolen/damaged whilst at University and you needed to claim, they would first ask what it was doing overnight at such a place, they'd then figure out you were living away from home, figure out you'd lied when taking out your policy, and refuse to pay out.

The golden rule is to never lie to an insurer - ever. Be honest.
Reply 2
Original post by IWMTom

Just a possible scenario here, but if your car was to be stolen/damaged whilst at University and you needed to claim, they would first ask what it was doing overnight at such a place, they'd then figure out you were living away from home, figure out you'd lied when taking out your policy, and refuse to pay out.

Aye true man. That's just where they're a bit funny. All in combined there probably wont be much between the time spent at home and the time spent away, hence the confusion. Pretty sick of insurance companies this point. Might just make sure i'm parked next to a Golf R so if something gets nicked, it'll be that. :grin:
Reply 3
Original post by EUROPXU
Aye true man. That's just where they're a bit funny. All in combined there probably wont be much between the time spent at home and the time spent away, hence the confusion. Pretty sick of insurance companies this point. Might just make sure i'm parked next to a Golf R so if something gets nicked, it'll be that. :grin:

Where is your Uni that the location makes such a big difference? I'd have thought pretty much anywhere in Teesside would have been on the high side; I know mine is in comparison to some other places!
Reply 4
Original post by IWMTom
Where is your Uni that the location makes such a big difference? I'd have thought pretty much anywhere in Teesside would have been on the high side; I know mine is in comparison to some other places!

Accommodation is pretty much just outside Northumbria Uni. Need the car with me because there are no reasonable public transport links to my work in an industrial estate outside Durham making it a ball ache to leave the car home whenever i'm not staying there.
Reply 5
Original post by EUROPXU
Accommodation is pretty much just outside Northumbria Uni. Need the car with me because there are no reasonable public transport links to my work in an industrial estate outside Durham making it a ball ache to leave the car home whenever i'm not staying there.

Dayum, Newcastle costing more to insure than Teesside? You must be living in Yarm or something to defy all odds :laugh:
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
Dayum, Newcastle costing more to insure than Teesside? You must be living in Yarm or something to defy all odds :laugh:

Ingleby with black box and 2 declared secondary drivers. Plus the thing i mentioned before with one of the other cars being one of the most stolen in the UK....:thumbsup:
Reply 7
Original post by EUROPXU
Ingleby with black box and 2 declared secondary drivers. Plus the thing i mentioned before with one of the other cars being one of the most stolen in the UK....:thumbsup:

Chav central but somehow outsiders don't see it as that, it all makes sense now :colondollar:
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
Chav central but somehow outsiders don't see it as that, it all makes sense now :colondollar:

Aye man, nobody gets it. There's nothing there but somehow it ends up being rammed full of Chavs and seemingly the slowest and worst drivers.
Reply 9
Original post by EUROPXU
Aye man, nobody gets it. There's nothing there but somehow it ends up being rammed full of Chavs and seemingly the slowest and worst drivers.

Tell me about it. I'm still getting ****s cutting me up after they changed the road markings on the roundabout approaching Tesco from the industrial estate. Used to be left turn only in the left lane, now it's straight on too.. no one seems to read the road :angry:
Reply 10
Original post by IWMTom
Tell me about it. I'm still getting ****s cutting me up after they changed the road markings on the roundabout approaching Tesco from the industrial estate. Used to be left turn only in the left lane, now it's straight on too.. no one seems to read the road :angry:

That Tesco roundabout is the bane of my existence. Every other time i go around it, someone coming on the Tesco side does something dangerous. Had a bloke end up parking his focus half way into my lane once, had the Lexus to my right not been the slowest driver alive i wouldn't have had anywhere to go.
Reply 11
Original post by EUROPXU
That Tesco roundabout is the bane of my existence. Every other time i go around it, someone coming on the Tesco side does something dangerous. Had a bloke end up parking his focus half way into my lane once, had the Lexus to my right not been the slowest driver alive i wouldn't have had anywhere to go.

Drivers round here are knobs man, I'm thankful I have the extra power to boot it out the way if some **** comes too close for comfort.
Reply 12
Original post by IWMTom
Drivers round here are knobs man, I'm thankful I have the extra power to boot it out the way if some **** comes too close for comfort.

I only have 75 brake to play with so unless the road is twisty i'm never getting away with that.
Luckily moving to a city it means i just need shlammed suspension to stand out and a high tolerance of traffic.
Reply 13
Original post by EUROPXU
I only have 75 brake to play with so unless the road is twisty i'm never getting away with that.
Luckily moving to a city it means i just need shlammed suspension to stand out and a high tolerance of traffic.

You're not the driver of a red Corsa who tried racing me at some traffic lights and failed disastrously are you? :colone:
Reply 14
Original post by IWMTom
You're not the driver of a red Corsa who tried racing me at some traffic lights and failed disastrously are you? :colone:

Nope but i have a feeling i know who you're on about. Is it chav spec or poverty spec corsa?
I know who to pick my fights with/who i stand a chance against.
Reply 15
Original post by EUROPXU
Nope but i have a feeling i know who you're on about. Is it chav spec or poverty spec corsa?
I know who to pick my fights with/who i stand a chance against.

Looked like a pretty standard Corsa D, bless his heart, I could hear him revving his little 1.2 litre engine up and everything!
Reply 16
Original post by IWMTom
Looked like a pretty standard Corsa D, bless his heart, I could hear him revving his little 1.2 litre engine up and everything!

Yep, seen that one around. If you've seen a black VW UP with an instagram tag in the back window, generally being driven like a child.... yep.... that's me.
Reply 17
Original post by EUROPXU
Yep, seen that one around. If you've seen a black VW UP with an instagram tag in the back window, generally being driven like a child.... yep.... that's me.

I'll keep an eye out so I can fly past for a laugh :wink:
Reply 18
Original post by IWMTom
I'll keep an eye out so I can fly past for a laugh :wink:

What are you in?
Reply 19
Original post by EUROPXU
What are you in?

A white mk7 Golf, but it's distinctive, because it has retrofitted R style LED tail lights (the smoked ones).

You won't see another TDI with the same lights anywhere around here, I can guarantee it.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending